• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Techniquest

Veteran Member
There's definitely a vocal minority of vegans who give vegans generally a bad name.

One of the worst examples is the hate mail, up to and including death threats, vegan comedian Sara Pascoe received from fellow vegans for appearing on a cookery show where other participants were using animal products. The idea that demonstrating vegan food can be tasty may encourage more people to go vegan seems to be completely lost on them.

Oh it's lost on the non-vegans at work as well, they don't understand the concept of vegan-friendly food that looks like meat. Their argument is that if people want (for example) something that looks like bacon, then they should just eat bacon. Mind you, that viewpoint comes from one of the covidiots at work, so their opinion counts for zero, more so as they don't live a healthy lifestyle at all but is quick to criticise anyone else.

I agree completely with you there, the vocal vegans are terribly frustrating. Be vegan, be proud and all that, but there isn't a need to constantly go on about it. Sending hate mail to someone who participates in a cooking show with others who don't use vegan food, that is just crazy.

Don't get me wrong, some of the plant-based alternatives don't suit me, especially when it comes to using mushrooms to bulk something out. No thank you! Now if I was to be offered a nice big plate of potatoes, carrots, peas, stuffing and a thick onion gravy, that's a meal I really enjoy. Nice and simple, really filling and full of stuff that's good for you, and easy to prepare straight after a busy day at work/intense exercise. What a win!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gg1

Established Member
Oh it's lost on the non-vegans at work as well, they don't understand the concept of vegan-friendly food that looks like meat. Their argument is that if people want (for example) something that looks like bacon, then they should just eat bacon. Mind you, that viewpoint comes from one of the covidiots at work, so their opinion counts for zero, more so as they don't live a healthy lifestyle at all but is quick to criticise anyone else.

I agree completely with you there, the vocal vegans are terribly frustrating. Be vegan, be proud and all that, but there isn't a need to constantly go on about it. Sending hate mail to someone who participates in a cooking show with others who don't use vegan food, that is just crazy.

Don't get me wrong, some of the plant-based alternatives don't suit me, especially when it comes to using mushrooms to bulk something out. No thank you! Now if I was to be offered a nice big plate of potatoes, carrots, peas, stuffing and a thick onion gravy, that's a meal I really enjoy. Nice and simple, really filling and full of stuff that's good for you, and easy to prepare straight after a busy day at work/intense exercise. What a win!
Oh yes, completely agree about the mindset of some meat eaters who seem to have a real problem with veggie/vegan meat substitutes.

Ironically the people who are deeply offended by the concept of vegan sausage roles are invariably keen on throwing the word 'snowflake' at anyone who disagrees with their world view.

As is the case with anything even vaguely contentious these days, those with the most extreme/moronic views (on both sides of the argument) tend to be the ones who shout the loudest.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I would simply ban describing people who find something problematic as a snowflake

If you think they are unjustly offended - fine, but actually explain your reasoning rather than throwing insults around

Gloster

Established Member
One that used to annoy me as a child and still goes on fifty years later: shops that put up big notices saying ‘Back to School’ almost as soon as the summer holidays start. Back then my feeling was, ”All right, we know we’ve got to go back, but can’t you give it a couple of weeks before you start rubbing it in.”

pdeaves

Established Member
One that used to annoy me as a child and still goes on fifty years later: shops that put up big notices saying ‘Back to School’ almost as soon as the summer holidays start. Back then my feeling was, ”All right, we know we’ve got to go back, but can’t you give it a couple of weeks before you start rubbing it in.”
I agree. In fact, I saw 'back to school' in early July in a town not far from me. They haven't even stopped yet, let alone thinking of going back!

duncanp

Established Member
I agree. In fact, I saw 'back to school' in early July in a town not far from me. They haven't even stopped yet, let alone thinking of going back!

On a similar theme, I would like to ban any mention of Christmas before December 1st.

Meerkat

Established Member
Poor road positioning - eg when someone turning right doesn’t move over to the right, blocking all the traffic behind. Really selfish

Gloster

Established Member
On a similar theme, I would like to ban any mention of Christmas before December 1st.
As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I dislike the way Christmas cards appear months before the event. Some of the charity shops seem to have them on sale even before the August Bank Holiday.

nlogax

Established Member
As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I dislike the way Christmas cards appear months before the event. Some of the charity shops seem to have them on sale even before the August Bank Holiday.

August bank holiday is the retail start for Christmas. Boxing Day is the retail start for Easter. Mid-late July is the retail start for Back to School, etc. It's always been a bit ridiculous.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Travelodge pestering you several times to write a review every time you stay there.

It is bad enough them sending out an e-mail saying "We value your feedback", but then if you ignore it they send out another one saying "We've noticed that you haven't responded yet"

The reason I haven't responded yet is because I have deleted your e-mail.

Just go away and leave me alone will you. <( <(

And any negative feedback normally goes straight into the shredder. Or if you get lucky you get an email back from customer services which completely ignores the issue you raised

birchesgreen

Established Member
This still annoys me even though i haven't had to had to "go back to school" since the late 80s!

75A

Established Member
And any negative feedback normally goes straight into the shredder. Or if you get lucky you get an email back from customer services which completely ignores the issue you raised
I regularly use Premier Inn and find exactly the same.
I had 3 nights in a Holiday Inn Express last week, they haven't sent me a Feedback Form which is a shame because they really were awesome.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
i make a conscious effort to buy as little as possible from any outfit bearing that thoughtless, hackneyed phrase, particularly when accompanied by up to three exclamation marks as though they were making an original observation!!!

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Same here, it would be great to keep it just to those 24 days and no more.

We had to suffer for weeks into 2021 (I forget when they stopped it) with Christmas music on. Someone in an office somewhere apparently wasn't allowed to go and switch the music over to a different playlist, or some such nonsense. Certainly one of the most ridiculous uses of 'we can't do that because of covid' I ever came across.

Fingers crossed that won't be repeated this year, I've already had 2021's allowance of Christmas music. 11 and a bit months early :lol:

py_megapixel

Established Member
I wouldn't ban dogs, but I would ban people from complaining when I express that I don't particularly like being around them. As long as they are well behaved I don't even particularly object to them; there just seems to be a certain group of people which finds anything other than actively liking dogs to be anything from stupid ("how could you possibly not like them") to actually insulting, and I can't stand that attitude.

Gloster

Established Member
I wouldn't ban dogs, but I would ban people from complaining when I express that I don't particularly like being around them. As long as they are well behaved I don't even particularly object to them; there just seems to be a certain group of people which finds anything other than actively liking dogs to be anything from stupid ("how could you possibly not like them") to actually insulting, and I can't stand that attitude.
I have also found the same to be true, if not to such an extent, with horse lovers. Being one of those who consider that ‘one end bites, the other end sh**es’, I tend to keep well clear of them. As with dogs, there are those who can’t understand why you aren’t eagerly admiring their steed. Luckily, you come across horses less frequently than dogs, which I also avoid.

py_megapixel

Established Member
As with dogs, there are those who can’t understand why you aren’t eagerly admiring their steed.
Indeed - these are usually the people who take their huge boisterous dog down a narrow path and then if it frightens or irritates a pedestrian says "Oh don't worry, he's friendly, he won't bite, etc etc"

I have a simple stance on this - if you wouldn't let a toddler do it, don't let a dog do it. That covers most things, including jumping on passers by, attempting to steal sandwiches, and leaving excrement all over the path.

CarrotPie

Indeed - these are usually the people who take their huge boisterous dog down a narrow path and then if it frightens or irritates a pedestrian says "Oh don't worry, he's friendly, he won't bite, etc etc"

I have a simple stance on this - if you wouldn't let a toddler do it, don't let a dog do it. That covers most things, including jumping on passers by, attempting to steal sandwiches, and leaving excrement all over the path.
Or, as has has happened to me before, "it's ok if he bites, he's not infectious/it won't hurt/he just wants to play"... o_O

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Another one for the list:

People who will happily scream at you for not picking up your dog's leavings (as you're pulling the bag out of your pocket), but will happily let their horses deposit twenty times as much on the road.

Calthrop

Established Member

People who will happily scream at you for not picking up your dog's leavings (as you're pulling the bag out of your pocket), but will happily let their horses deposit twenty times as much on the road.

Odd ways, perhaps, in which life was easier a century-or-two-or-three ago: then, horse-poo was coveted and eagerly scooped up, as fertiliser: dog ditto, greatly wanted by tanners for their leather-tanning processes -- they paid street urchins for collecting it and delivering it to them...

Busaholic

Veteran Member

And down my way huge horse deposits all over the beach, from which all dogs are banned! We also have the horsey mafia, closely aligned to hunting types, who expect you to drive into a ditch in a car at maximum 2 mph so they can ride two abreast the other way, screaming and scowling at you. Back at the stables, it's into the 4x4s and straight out into the main road without looking. Slight exaggeration, but not much. Might add that I always respect horse riders, especially children, when driving, just hate the arrogance of the few.

I understand that being a vegan is important to some people, but did the personal best cyclist I saw a few days ago think anyone cares about his veganism enough to warrant the word VEGAN in big capital letters on the back of his shirt.

On a lighter note, the misuse of the word like. eg He was like...... ,I was like.........., she was like .......... etc.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I do find horse dung a lot less offensive than doggy-doo. Certainly it's a lot less nasty to step in, in my experience.