• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dakta

Customers that ghost you (particularly over company social media pages) after you've spent considerable time on them.

A sale isn't mandatory, but a thank you is.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Can't agree, there are still several very distinctive outlines - Porsche 911, Range Rover
The 911 has broadly followed the same design for the last 6+ decades. The Range Rover has in recent years adopted a number of variants that look like they've been sat on by elephants, with the basic shape of the standard RR being largely similar to the standard "Chelsea Tractor" design.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
People who stand in the centre of town with a large amplifier, which they set at high volume, and then sing to the public to recorded music. If they were any good, they would not need to do this to gain publicity, although some believe they are cheering people up or providing a service. Having somebody bawling out the barely identifiable words of one of last year’s hits in a pseudo mid-Atlantic accent must really make the day of those working in nearby shops. Particularly bad examples were the girl whose high notes sounded more like a siren, the chap with (so it seemed) a repertoire of three songs repeated for a couple of hours and the singer who kept fiddling with his amp so that it emitted ear-splitting screeches.

SteveM70

Established Member
a repertoire of three songs repeated for a couple of hours

This.

There are loads of people who busk in Hebden Bridge, some are better than others but obviously it’s subjective. My eldest son used to work in one of the shops on the main square and some days he’d come home bemoaning one bloke in particular, who was apparently decent but did over two hours with a repertoire of four songs

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Christmas Markets.

They're all basically identical. And always heaving with people looking for Gluwein.

duncanp

Established Member
Christmas Markets.

They're all basically identical. And always heaving with people looking for Gluwein.

I quite like Christmas Markets, but think that some are better than others.

The good ones have a range of food and drink, plus items on sale that are genuinely related to Christmas.

The bad ones have a lot of cheap tat, and are nothing more than your usual street market dressed up for the festive season.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Chinny reckon.
Yes.
Last night on the news was an item on a woman's record number of swimmings of the channel, which finished by saying it was something a man had never achieved.
How is that relevant? If the sexes were reversed would they have pointed it out? I think not.
That is but one example.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Yes.
Last night on the news was an item on a woman's record number of swimmings of the channel, which finished by saying it was something a man had never achieved.
How is that relevant? If the sexes were reversed would they have pointed it out? I think not.
That is but one example.
Men dominate the vast majority of those sorts of achievements, is your ego so fragile that you can't let the ladies have that one thing?

alex397

Established Member
Christmas Markets.

Depends where you go. The ones in the UK are fairly naff. But the ones in Germany are incredible in my experience (maybe helped that many things seem better on holiday). The one in Aachen was huge, with a great atmosphere.

The markets I have visited in Eastern Europe seem to have a local twist to them as well.

Acey

Ladies who sit on someone's shoulders at concerts,do they think the crowd are there to see them ?

nlogax

Established Member
Depends where you go. The ones in the UK are fairly naff. But the ones in Germany are incredible in my experience (maybe helped that many things seem better on holiday). The one in Aachen was huge, with a great atmosphere.

+1 to this. The ones I've been to in Berlin in recent years have been fantastic. Really atmospheric, entirely different league to the various attempts that pop up across UK cities. Going back for more this December!

yorksrob

Veteran Member

The markets I have visited in Eastern Europe seem to have a local twist to them as well.

It's in Leeds send to not be on again this year, which is a shame because I like it.

xotGD

Established Member
After watching the activity in nearby fields, I would like to ban those big cylindrical bales of hay.

Proper rectangular bales that you can sit on are all that should be allowed.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
People that walk around supermarkets with their phones held out in front of them on loudspeaker while they have a banal conversation that everyone within a hundred feet can hear.
Why do they do this because they’ve still only got one useable hand? Is it a brain radiation thing?

duncanp

Established Member
People that walk around supermarkets with their phones held out in front of them on loudspeaker while they have a banal conversation that everyone within a hundred feet can hear.
Why do they do this because they’ve still only got one useable hand? Is it a brain radiation thing?

Fixed that for you.

Never mind about just supermarkets, on the bus, the train, in the pub... etc etc etc <( <( <(

duncanp

Established Member
Enpty vessels really do make the most noise don’t they?

I know.

When you are on a bus and it pulls up at a stop, and you see someone waiting to get onwho is yakking into their smartphone, your heart sinks because you just know that they are going to sit in the vacant seat behind you, and just **** you off for the rest of your journey.

In the supermarket, you hear people having a conversation with someone about what colour toilet roll to buy, or whether they should have this or that brand of baked beans.

And they are always having this conversation whilst blocking access to the item that you want.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Where did you get that idea? :s
If only you knew me.
I say again....
#Equality 8-)
Your post gave me that idea- it certainly seems that you're offended by them mentioning it. Given that generally speaking men are fitter and stronger than women, the female dominance in cross-channel swimming is surely somewhat remarkable, and worthy of a mention in an article about swimming the channel?

I'm not sure what "agenda" you're objecting to here.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Men dominate the vast majority of those sorts of achievements, is your ego so fragile that you can't let the ladies have that one thing?
Yes, and it can't be said that women have different conditions attached to swimming the Channel either, although that plonker from North Yorkshire who talked himself out of a job with those crass, imbecilic remarks might beg to differ.

gg1

Established Member
Yes, and it can't be said that women have different conditions attached to swimming the Channel either, although that plonker from North Yorkshire who talked himself out of a job with those crass, imbecilic remarks might beg to differ.
What are you referring to?