• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MattRat

On Moderation
That's happened to me. I try to avoid secret Santa. I usually end up with after shave and I can't stand the stuff. It makes me itch.
I assume you never told your colleagues about the problem. I'd ban people who don't say anything becuaee they fear it would be impolite. I like people to be straight with me.

PeterY

Established Member
I assume you never told your colleagues about the problem. I'd ban people who don't say anything becuaee they fear it would be impolite. I like people to be straight with me.
I just keep it for the following year and give it to someone else :D

MattRat

On Moderation
Or, even worse, you give it back to the person who gave it to you.

My mum definitely hasn't done that with a birthday present...

:D:D:D
OK, I admit that one's smart. You aren't telling them they got a bad present, just giving them a hint ;)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
My mum didn't even realise until she was handing over the rapped present. She avoided that particular friend for some time afterwards...
I'd hate to receive a rapped present; it would be far preferable if it was sung opera-style... ;)

Gloster

Established Member
Programmes, particularly on the radio, that are described as ‘a sideways look at...’ This turns out to be a group of previously (and soon to be once more) unknowns doing a mish-mash of sketches that are either derivative or only comprehensible to a minuscule group of people, mostly their college friends. And of course there is a ‘clever’ running gag or stock character, that is so clever that nobody else is smart enough to see the joke.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Programmes, particularly on the radio, that are described as ‘a sideways look at...’ This turns out to be a group of previously (and soon to be once more) unknowns doing a mish-mash of sketches that are either derivative or only comprehensible to a minuscule group of people, mostly their college friends. And of course there is a ‘clever’ running gag or stock character, that is so clever that nobody else is smart enough to see the joke.
Yes, cheap programming of course, which is all the rage. One exception, though, is a series on Radio 4 which airs from time to time at antisocial hours hosted by Matthew Syed and uses his surname as a play on words. Syed is a perceptive man with an unusual take on many things, and is certainly thought-provoking without being either deliberately provocative or cranky. I make a point of listening to it when I find it on.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I would ban the phrase "heartless thieves" which will be used at some stage this season when a house is burgled and pressies stolen. I don't think thieves have a heart of gold the rest of the year.

Gloster

Established Member
I hope we do not get another case of somebody going missing and then being found dead, and then some journalist or presenter says something about it being so terrible as it happened at Christmas. Your son/daughter/wife/husband/parent/etc. has just died tragically: you’re not going to say that it wouldn’t have been so bad at any other time of the year.

bspahh

Established Member
One exception, though, is a series on Radio 4 which airs from time to time at antisocial hours hosted by Matthew Syed and uses his surname as a play on words. Syed is a perceptive man with an unusual take on many things, and is certainly thought-provoking without being either deliberately provocative or cranky. I make a point of listening to it when I find it on.
You don't have to wait for it to be broadcast.

Its available at https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000s2kt where you can listen to them, download them as MP3 files, or use the RSS link in Radio Downloaded from https://nerdoftheherd.com/tools/radiodld/ which will download any new episodes automatically

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I would ban the phrase "heartless thieves" which will be used at some stage this season when a house is burgled and pressies stolen. I don't think thieves have a heart of gold the rest of the year.
I would ban reference to the heart as the source of emotion (or lack of) outside of greeting cards. Especially when it comes to reporting news.

Acey

Rick Stein,watching him gushing on about French cooking ( as he does with just about every country other than GB ) doesn't he realise that while we were ( and others ) were busy fighting the Germans etc ,the French were faffing around learning how to cook ! we learnt to win wars the French didn't to learn to cook :lol:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Rick Stein,watching him gushing on about French cooking ( as he does with just about every country other than GB ) doesn't he realise that while we were ( and others ) were busy fighting the Germans etc ,the French were faffing around learning how to cook ! we learnt to win wars the French didn't to learn to cook :lol:
He's one of those people who turns on the charm for the camera. Have come across him on several occasions, although none were in connection with his books despite me having been a bookseller from when his first book was published, under the name Richard Stein. I know a bookseller who had him in his shop for a signing and he said afterwards 'wow, and Nathan Outlaw was SO pleasant when he came!'

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Busy day, dropped the phone - broken screen.
Insert swear word here:

Paul Jones 88

I'd ban that awful dirt cheap white cider, fed up with scruffy looking yobs sitting in the town centre drinking it all day.

PeterY

Established Member
Busy day, dropped the phone - broken screen.
Insert swear word here:
One reason I still like my Doro flip phone :D :D :D . My fear is, if I were to get a smart phone, with the nature of what I do for a living, (gardening) it wouldn't last long.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Would you elaborate please? :s
There's a local restaurant which displays a notice underneath its menu saying "Please note: an extra charge will be added to your bill for adults who order a meal from the children's menu (portion sizes remain the same)"
I don't really understand the point of this as a practice, other than to alienate customers.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Is this because there isn't VAT on children's food and is on adult's? Been a while since did my accounting unit at uni though so might have changed now.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
There's a local restaurant which displays a notice underneath its menu saying "Please note: an extra charge will be added to your bill for adults who order a meal from the children's menu (portion sizes remain the same)"
I don't really understand the point of this as a practice, other than to alienate customers.
Oh really?
Yeah, ban it right away!