• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

jfollows

Established Member
I wear shorts all year, I had a rather rude lady making some kind of pointed comment when she saw me in Sainsbury's in January wearing shorts, I wasn't expecting it and she deserved a rather better put-down from me than she got, judgemental nosy cow that I decided she was, but even in this time of elevated bills my house is warm enough in the winter. I will admit, though, that I never wore shorts to work and part of my de-stressing from getting home from work was to ditch the long trousers in favour of shorts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
I wear shorts all year, I had a rather rude lady making some kind of pointed comment when she saw me in Sainsbury's in January wearing shorts, I wasn't expecting it and she deserved a rather better put-down from me than she got, judgemental nosy cow that I decided she was, but even in this time of elevated bills my house is warm enough in the winter. I will admit, though, that I never wore shorts to work and part of my de-stressing from getting home from work was to ditch the long trousers in favour of shorts.

Don't postmen have a bet with each other to see who can keep wearing shorts the longest going into the winter?

I have seen posties in shorts late in November, but I am sure someone else can top that.

jfollows

Established Member
Don't postmen have a bet with each other to see who can keep wearing shorts the longest going into the winter?

I have seen posties in shorts late in November, but I am sure someone else can top that.
I think you're probably right.
The thing for me is that I wasn't allowed to wear long trousers to school until the age of 11, and now I've got (relatively) hairy legs, so if I was OK wearing shorts in winter at the age of 9, why should it be a problem today? Well, I don't think it is anyway!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I tend to get "are you a postie", "are you a PE teacher" or "do you play rugby".

Though recently I got "are you an ex rugby player" - er, thanks, I know I have put a bit of weight on but that is harsh.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Wilkinsons.

Bought a socket adaptor for my extension lead and it turned out to be badly manufactured tat that wouldn't unscrew without breaking.

Will be using B&Q next time.

Ediswan

Established Member
While shorts aren't allowed in the office, short sleeved shirts usually are and are an overheating lifesaver. I don't own any long sleeved shirts.
I worked on a site with chemistry laboratories. Come summer, a male (random) would arrive for work in shorts. Manager would object, 'health and safety'. Male would note females with the same, or shorter, 'hemline'. Manager would mutter and mumble. After a few cycles of this the dress code (if it previously existed) was updated to allow males to wear shorts.

As for the H&S concern, in the labs, everybody wore white coats considerably longer than the clothing in dispute.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wearing anything but shorts in summer time feels wrong to me, with exception for, say, going into an evening when it's known it'll be a bit chilly before getting back for the night kind of thing. If I could wear shorts at work, I would. Only very limited parts of my workplace are allowed shorts, and some have to fight for said right every time there's a heatwave.

One from the other day for me would be banning awful music being blasted out of a car with windows wide open in hot weather. If I wanted to hear that stupid dance monkey song, I would have taken action to do so. Hopefully whatever she was in Aldi for, the stuff she wanted was out of stock!

Busaholic

Veteran Member

There are postmen and postwomen in Penzance (at least three) who never wear anything but shorts, and they've all been around for at least the last ten years. Mind, it hardly ever freezes here.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wilkinsons.

Bought a socket adaptor for my extension lead and it turned out to be badly manufactured tat that wouldn't unscrew without breaking.

Will be using B&Q next time.

B&Q

Just don’t…

krus_aragon

Established Member
During the snowy Christmas of 2009, I saw a man walking the ice-coated pavement of City Road, Cardiff, in shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops. (Unlike @jfollows ' acquaintance I just cycled by without comment.)

xotGD

Established Member
I would like to ban people using weird greetings.

Someone I know, rather than "Hello" or "Good morning", goes with "Felicitations". Just don't.

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Someone I know, rather than "Hello" or "Good morning", goes with "Felicitations". Just don't.

As long as they only do it with people that appreciate it, then I see no harm in it. If they insist on doing so with people who have politely expressed their displeasure with being greeted in such a way, then that's completely different.

Personally, if someone greeted me by saying 'Felicitations' I would likely find it at least funny. Quite, I like it so much I might use it at work tomorrow!

tomuk

Established Member
Is Texas Homecare still a thing ?
What about Sankeys Homecentre?

AbbeyForegateFromNearSBJClose.jpg

P2-7crop.jpg

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

One that gets under my skin for some reason is when people use "see you later" as a synonym for "goodbye". Particularly supermarket checkout workers: I'm always tempted to reply "Oh... What have I forgotten this time?"

Brush 4

Felicitations may have been resurrected by The Good Life. Margo would ring up people who were on the Christmas card list but who weren't proper friends and say 'and yuletide felicitations to you too'. Totally insincere but funny. I say similar to friends who also watched said programme. Stuff like 'birthday felicitations'. Probably wouldn't work with anyone who didn't watch TGL though.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
People referring to spiders as "insects".

They're not. They're arachnids. Insects are what they have for lunch.

Spamcan81

One of our local posties would wear shorts and short sleeved shirt every day no matter time of year or weather conditions. He may still do but moved to another round so don't see hime any more. Having said that, can't recall our current post dressing any different.

jfollows

Established Member
I get annoyed when I see confusing headlines such as "UK weather: extreme heat warning in place for England and Wales as near 500% increase in wildfires reported" (https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...er-forecast-extreme-heat-england-drought-fire).
Isn't it much more concise, clearer, and better to say "nearly six times as many reported wildfires" than it is to say "near 500% increase in wildfires reported"?
I see this percentage plague everywhere, for some reason it gets used a lot, "100% increase" used rather than "doubling".
Why?
Is it because the writers want to impress the audience with their brilliance in their understanding of percentages?
Or is it because the authors don't really understand what they're writing and simply copy the text from someone else who also doesn't really understand what they're writing?
It really annoys me because it always seems that there's a simpler way of writing the headline which will be more comprehensible but for some reason it's not used.

D821

I get annoyed when I see confusing headlines such as "UK weather: extreme heat warning in place for England and Wales as near 500% increase in wildfires reported" (https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...er-forecast-extreme-heat-england-drought-fire).
Isn't it much more concise, clearer, and better to say "nearly six times as many reported wildfires" than it is to say "near 500% increase in wildfires reported"?
I see this percentage plague everywhere, for some reason it gets used a lot, "100% increase" used rather than "doubling".
Why?
Is it because the writers want to impress the audience with their brilliance in their understanding of percentages?
Or is it because the authors don't really understand what they're writing and simply copy the text from someone else who also doesn't really understand what they're writing?
It really annoys me because it always seems that there's a simpler way of writing the headline which will be more comprehensible but for some reason it's not used.
I think a lot of the time it's the sub-editors who write the headlines trying to make the article sound more edgy than it actually is.

gg1

Established Member
Why?

In those specific nstances I would agree but conversely there are other circumstances where the media really should use percentages but don't. The prime example atm is energy prices where then media constantly quote an utterly meaningless price the 'average household' will pay. I'd rather they stated something more useful like "energy bills to rise by X%", or better still "gas bills to rise by X%, electricity bills by X%".

It also bugs me when the government and media insist on using fractions rather than percentages for smaller numbers, e.g saying '3 in 5' rather than 60%.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It also bugs me when the government and media insist on using fractions rather than percentages for smaller numbers, e.g saying '3 in 5' rather than 60%.
The trouble is they don't say '3 in 5' usually, rather '6 out of 10', which by Lowest Common Denominator 'rules' should be expressed by the former, or alternatively 60%. A case of a little learning being a dangerous thing.