• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Commemoration of Original Companies at Railway Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trackman

Established Member
The "S" and "R" on the end of the station canopy at Charing Cross facing Hungerford Bridge were preserved when the station was rebuilt the 1980s. These letters commemorate ownership by the Southern Railway, but were themselves salvaged at the Grouping, when the "E" and "C" (Eastern and Chatham) of the original "SECR" were removed.
Beat me to that one!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
On a similar vein, Cardiff Central has such cast-iron bench ends with "GWR" in them, and also "BR (W)". I don't know of many similar BR region braidings in existence.
Not sure I’ve ever seen any with the other regions’ initials. Seem to remember the BR (W) ones being present at most large WR stations - along with the two (at least) GWR variants. GWR ones have more “ heritage appeal” and have I think been reproduced for stations in GWR land in recent years. The BR (W) ones are almost certainly the real McCoy

Rescars

At Blackfriars there is, carved in stone, the collection of destinations in the South East and Europe which could be reached by the London Chatham and Dover.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
At Blackfriars there is, carved in stone, the collection of destinations in the South East and Europe which could be reached by the London Chatham and Dover.
It's a very impressive list, covering a wide variety of places.

The display was originally in the previous Blackfriars station, and was moved to it's current location when the station was redeveloped.

Both Moor Street and Taunton have WW1 rolls of honour for the GWR.

Dumbarton station has a plaque in memory of the railway employees of the Dumbarton & Balloch Joint Line.

Barrow-in-Furness station has a WW1 memorial plaque for the Furness Railway Company, which was damaged as a result of enemy action in WW2.

Crewe station has a memorial plaque to the London & North Western Railway's Crewe North and South Steam Sheds staff for WW1.

Derby station has a memorial to the Midland Railway Company's Staff who died in South Africa during the Boer War.
IMG_2649.jpg

GWR platform seat at Tyseley. The photo is something like 15 years old, so I don't know if the seat is still there. A reproduction?

Crewe again.

Last edited:

david_g

Huddersfield station has (or had last time I looked) the crests of the Huddersfield & Manchester Railway & Canal Company and the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway above the entrances to what were originally the respective booking offices of the two owning companies, now the two pubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.