• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition 439 :: Voting

Votes: 1 3.2%

Votes: 11 35.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 12.9%

Votes: 2 6.5%

Votes: 1 3.2%

Votes: 3 9.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Royston Vasey

Established Member

Matt Taylor

Established Member
I have to concur, while there is no problem with the image quality in the more recent shots I don't think preserved railways can ever evoke the the atmosphere of the real working railway as it was day in and day out for years.

Number two for me.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Having seen the quality of the other images, I shouldn’t have bothered entering this week! I had a very limited selection of photos to select from, that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it...Oh well, it’s all just a bit of fun!

Some really good photos again this week: Number 4 impresses me, as despite being a more recent image on a preserved line, it manages to look as if it was taken in the heyday of first gen DMUs in regular service, which is a worthy achievement. 7 is very well framed, and number 9 gives the subject a feeling of power, which I would have thought was difficult to do with first generation DMUs! :D

Overall though I’m going to vote for number 2, the whole image just oozes atmosphere and nostalgia, and offers a reminder of an era that I only ever saw the tail end of...

mumrar

Established Member
Number 9 gets my vote this week for a great looking image, and the units also look great on a good weather day too.

I, like most, feel very nostalgic about shot number 2, but mainly because it shows a railway that still cared about it's image. The lines are clean and tidy and the lineside is very clear from vegetation. This is why NR are having to spend a fortune every year on RHTT workings instead of effective lineside vegetation maintenance. If you stand at that spot these days you can barely see any of the viaduct, let alone any of the running lines which it carries. As a photographer it pains me that so many good locations are being shut down by poor vegetation management, and that the phenomenon of leaf-fall is definately a new railway thing brought on by their own laziness. And this from an employee remember.

Jordy

Established Member
Congrats curly42

thumb_sapperton.JPG

01 - CallySleeperKid
02 - curly42
03 - TGVDUDE
04 - Crossforth
05 - steve 46010
06 - Multiple Unit
07 - Swiss Toni
08 - sprinterguy
09 - D1001

D1001

Well done Curly42 - a very evocative pic.

My pic of the overhauled DMU's was one of the very rare occasions we saw DMU's between Didcot and Swindon - there was no local service (thanks Dr. B.) and probably the only time they traversed this route was to/from Swindon for overhaul - which we would normally miss because of school! Not being an MU expert, can anyone identify these units and where they were probably based?

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
My pic of the overhauled DMU's was one of the very rare occasions we saw DMU's between Didcot and Swindon.....can anyone identify these units and where they were probably based?

The nearer unit I'd suggest is a 115 and the far unit a 108. I used to ride both classes when I lived on the Chiltern Line during the early '90's.
AFAIK they were allocated to Aylesbury for light servicing, fuelling and general stabling.
I think their heavy general repairs were done at Tyseley or at Old Oak Common but I'm sure a kind soul can clarify that either way.

Last edited:

D1001

The nearer unit I'd suggest is a 115 and the far unit a 108. I used to ride both classes when I lived on the Chiltern Line during the early '90's.
AFAIK they were allocated to Aylesbury for light servicing, fuelling and general stabling.
I think their heavy general repairs were done at Tyseley or at Old Oak Common but I'm sure a kind soul can clarify that either way.

Thanks for the info Sun Chariot - I never paid much notice to DMU's back in the 1970's and 1980's, apart from the 3 car units we used to get at Didcot - and I never took a photo of one (except when something else was in the picture - see http://jinksarchive.fotopic.net/p58648921.html

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Oh, I like the shots. Unrefurb'd Hoover on the Oxford route... Bit before my time on that line - but I still fondly recall taking loco hauled Banbury semi-fasts, both from Marylebone and from Paddington. 47 up front in every case, with Scotrail liveried '706 now and then.

D1001

Oh, I like the shots. Unrefurb'd Hoover on the Oxford route... Bit before my time on that line - but I still fondly recall taking loco hauled Banbury semi-fasts, both from Marylebone and from Paddington. 47 up front in every case, with Scotrail liveried '706 now and then.

It's amazing how, as young trainspotters in the 1970's and 1980's, we would come back from a mornings spotting and, when asked what we had seen, casually say, 'not much, just a few 50's and 47's, a pair of 37's, several 31's, loads of 56's (including a Tinsley!) and there was a Hither Green 33 with the morning parcels'. How boring!

How times have changed. Thirty years time we'll be waxing lyrical about red sheds (we will, I guarantee it)

Status
Not open for further replies.