• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition 501 (Preserved) :: Voting

Votes: 5 13.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.8%

Votes: 4 11.1%

Votes: 6 16.7%

Votes: 3 8.3%

Votes: 3 8.3%

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
Am I missing something?

Also (and quite dangerously, no doubt) can anyone explain what the relevance is of picture 14 to this theme? Lovely picture, but I can't see how it fits!

First of all, what are you missing?

Secondly, I see your point with picture 14 but maybe it is a bridge on a preserved railway? Although looking at it, I don't know which one it is

curly42

8 for me, what a brave sod that is!

Put me down as confused as well. I understand the reference to number 8 but I'm having trouble with the "what a brave sod that is" part of the sentence. Just what or who is "brave" and for what reason ?

mumrar

Established Member
My attention was grabbed by numbers 1, 3, 7, 10, and 13-16. Quite a lot to ow down.

I have two 'issues' with entries 10 and 14 though. I do not believe that 10 shows a preserved railway. I believe it shows a running railway that was subsequently closed and preserved. Number 14 has overhead wires, so unless it's a preserved route outside the UK, I'm baffled. It's a lovely shot all the same though.

Number 7 has to be discounted because the framing/cropping has chosen vegetation and ballast in preference to a lovely textured sky (from what little of it we can see). I feel 13 would be better with a longer train as it's very head on, a demo freight would look good. 15 is a nice classic looking scene, but static location. 16 suffers from a lack of light on the nose.
This leaves 1 and 3. Out of the two, I feel 3 is suffering from a lack of sky such as #7, so I'm going with number 1.

I should also like ti add myself to the many baffled by the 'bravery' shown for shot #8.

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
I should also like ti add myself to the many baffled by the 'bravery' shown for shot #8.

Put me down as confused as well. I understand the reference to number 8 but I'm having trouble with the "what a brave sod that is" part of the sentence. Just what or who is "brave" and for what reason ?

He is hanging out of the coach on the Ffestiniog, inches from imminent death if that is where I think it is

Jeez, didn't want to start a debate on this :roll:

mumrar

Established Member
He is hanging out of the coach on the Ffestiniog, inches from imminent death if that is where I think it is
Ok, one would presume the source of 'imminent death' would be visible, being as they are facing forward. We'll wait and see at the person who took it feels brave :)

D1001

My attention was grabbed by numbers 1, 3, 7, 10, and 13-16. Quite a lot to ow down.

I have two 'issues' with entries 10 and 14 though. I do not believe that 10 shows a preserved railway. I believe it shows a running railway that was subsequently closed and preserved. Number 14 has overhead wires, so unless it's a preserved route outside the UK, I'm baffled. It's a lovely shot all the same though.

I'm not sure you're right there - that's Brechin if I'm not mistaken and I think it has been taken in the post-preservation era - could be wrong though.

My personal favourite is 6 - it depicts a lot of characteristics of a day out on a preserved railway, from the simmering loco to the well kept flowers and classic old Lyons Tea advertisement - splendid

Established Member
I'm not sure you're right there - that's Brechin if I'm not mistaken and I think it has been taken in the post-preservation era - could be wrong though.

The description does say Brechin ;)

If you open it full size, theres a virgin livery coach, and a Volvo XC90, so it can't be that old.

Last edited:

mumrar

Established Member
See. I told you!
I stand VERY corrected and can only apologise. The very competent B&W conversion and matching era loco paint jobs had me totally fooled.

Shame, as it is a modern shot, the wonky horizon wasn't corrected. It's also a shame that my vote is placed, being as this must surely fit the bill as it had me totally fooled.

Ivo

Established Member
I havent voted in one of these for something like 5 months! :lol:

I like the steam effect of 3, but for me 16 is the best. A beautiful shot.

EltonRoad

My favourites are 7 and 16 - both nicely composed, pleasing shots. Went for 7 - nice lighting and good colours.

Jordy

Established Member
Congrats to matt

thumb_IMG_9454.jpg

01 - TGVDUDE
02 - moonrakerz
03 - steve 46010
04 - Kingston Flyer
05 - bengley
06 - sprinterguy
07 - curly42
08 - Simon Poole
09 - IanPooleTrains
10 - 90019
11 - K9-70
12 - minette
13 - SonoftheStig
14 - Andec
15 - mumrar
16 - matt

Established Member
I stand VERY corrected and can only apologise. The very competent B&W conversion and matching era loco paint jobs had me totally fooled.

It was taken on B&W film, in 2009 :D

Shame, as it is a modern shot, the wonky horizon wasn't corrected. It's also a shame that my vote is placed, being as this must surely fit the bill as it had me totally fooled.

I realised after submitting it that I should've corrected the horizon, because it'a so noticable.

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
On an aside, Bleanau does look like a great heritage line - hopefully can get there at some point :)

Status
Not open for further replies.