• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conditions for Returning to the UK with overseas (Non US/EU) vaccinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requeststop

I wonder if you good people could help me resolve a problem of information that I am finding to discover.

I am a UK national here in Papua New Guinea an amber listed nation, double vaccinated here in Port Moresby and I am looking to return home next month. I know that I face quarantine, but, I would like to know if it is mandatory to quarantine in a hotel, or if I can quarantine at home, alone.

Secondly, does anyone know how I convert my vaccinations (Oxford Astra-Zenica) to an NHS standard registration so when I am home in the UK I can go out and about like every other double vaccinated UK citizen. Would I have to re-vaccinate in the UK? I have the National COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card for PNG and a WHO International Certification of Vaccination (Both paper)

I have tried the UK High Commission here in Port Moresby but they direct me to the UK.gov website which is to be honest – rubbish. If anyone can direct me to a website that can clearly give me my options I’d be very grateful.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nlogax

Established Member
Going by what you've said I highly doubt you'll need to quarantine at all. You'll be returning from an amber list country and have received two jabs of a vaccine that's approved by the UK. If in doubt consult this page, maybe I have missed some details but it looks to be in your favour.

As for the vaccines themselves you won't be able to get them registered in the NHS app. Best you can do is ask your UK GP to get them added to your NHS medical record. If you're stuck in a situation where you absolutely need to demonstrate vaccination record then you can at least point people to that.. but it's not ideal and imo there's no need for anyone to be asking you for that detail in the first place. You should absolutely be able to go out and about like the rest of us without worry or concern.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
As for the vaccines themselves you won't be able to get them registered in the NHS app. Best you can do is ask your UK GP to get them added to your NHS medical record. If you're stuck in a situation where you absolutely need to demonstrate vaccination record then you can at least point people to that.. but it's not ideal and imo there's no need for anyone to be asking you for that detail in the first place. You should absolutely be able to go out and about like the rest of us without worry or concern.
There is also a COVID letter you can request in lieu of the app/QR code, which may be easier to get hold of.

Agree that the OP won't be having any difficulty getting out and about here even with PNG-administered vaccines.

As you point out also, no quarantine is necessary and the rules are in favour (I was surprised to see PNG on the amber list, but there you go!).

island

Veteran Member
Going by what you've said I highly doubt you'll need to quarantine at all. You'll be returning from an amber list country and have received two jabs of a vaccine that's approved by the UK. If in doubt consult this page, maybe I have missed some details but it looks to be in your favour.

Unfortunately this is incorrect. Only those who have received the vaccination in the UK, EU/EEA, Switzerland, or USA (or from a UK authority outside these places, such as British Overseas Territories or NHS vaccinating army personnel overseas) are excused from the need to self-isolate when travelling from an amber list country.

The self-isolation would be at home and not in a hotel, unless the OP transits a red list country en route.

As for the vaccines themselves you won't be able to get them registered in the NHS app. Best you can do is ask your UK GP to get them added to your NHS medical record.
This is also what I would suggest.

Last edited:

Requeststop

Thanks for your replies; Yes I too and many other expats here in PNG are somewhat surprised at the "official" COVID levels here in PNG. The numbers being vaccinated here is dreadfully small.

I know, I have to quarantine, What I have been quite uncertain about is if I can do it alone at home. It seems that I can.

I am planning to return late September and fingers crossed the rules will not change.

One other small question please. To get home from London to Cornwall, I would want (need) to travel by train. Would this be permitted. I have no other form of transport in the UK.
Thanks also for advice on registering my vaccinations. Again there seems to be no "official" advice as to how many UK expats who have been fully vaccinated can register the fact.

island

Veteran Member
There is no legal prohibition from using public transport to get yourself to the location where you self-isolate; it is merely discouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.