• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Consecutive stations with no direct service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Drem is between Prestonpans and North Berwick/Dunbar. Scotrail are soon to commence services to Dunbar if they haven't already...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think Drem is between Prestonpans and North Berwick/Dunbar. Scotrail are soon to commence services to Dunbar if they haven't already...
Yes, that's right, and they have indeed.

To answer the question about Yarm, it is served by TPE Middlesbrough services only.

Lampshade

Established Member
Lostock Hall to Leyland

Lostock Hall is after the junction to the Up WCML, it's non stop to Preston from there - I'll let you have Bamber Bridge - Leyland though <D

Guide Bridge to Stalybridge

I don't know whether you could call it a 'service' but what about the parly? ;)

Dinsdale - Teesside Airport, although there is a return journey Teesside Airport - Dinsdale

How can it be a 'return' journey if it's only in one direction to start with? ;)

SirBroccoli

Two more for you I believe....

St. James Park - Pinhoe
Patchway - Bristol Parkway (Only London Bound)

NSE

Established Member
I know it changed recently (but only with a couple of peak services) but Sanderstead to South Croydon rarely has many direct stopping trains.

mumrar

Established Member
Barnt Green-Bromsgrove may be obvious, but it's also wrong. There's a 07:43 and 08:17 southbound and 16:42 northbound on weekdays. Always has been, for the posh rich kids to get to school from Barnt Green.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor

Drem is between Longniddry & Dunbar on the ECM. However 2D85 the 10:00 departure from Edinburgh is booked to stop there at 10:28 1/2 on its way to Dunbar.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Lostock Hall is after the junction to the Up WCML, it's non stop to Preston from there - I'll let you have Bamber Bridge - Leyland though <D
Yes true, I meant to delete Lostock Hall from the list when I realised it was after the junction, Bamber Bridge is its replacement.

I don't know whether you could call it a 'service' but what about the parly? ;)
Yes, I wasn't thinking, it didn't occur to me that it went to Stalybridge; I've always got off at Guide Bridge!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Drem is between Longniddry & Dunbar on the ECM. However 2D85 the 10:00 departure from Edinburgh is booked to stop there at 10:28 1/2 on its way to Dunbar.
half times are from working timetables, I think there is a mistake in the working timetable you've seen. The public timetable doesn't have a stop at any intermediate station (although it is looped for the 10:08 to Penzance - weird timetabling!) although there are some that call at Musselburgh.

Bungle

Philip Elliott said:
Dronfield - Dore

Dronfield and Dore aren't consecutive stations as such, so not relevant to this topic. The sole platform at Dore is on the spur to the Hope Valley Line, so no direct connection to the MML southbound towards Dronfield.

To get from one to the other you have to reverse at Sheffield (or Totley Tunnel East and use the South Curve if you want to be really pedantic...)

First class

Established Member
Frodsham - Runcorn (WCML) (and vice versa)

Only train even going this route is the Summer Sat Chester-Runcorn 0753 service, once per week, in one direction only and does not call at Frodsham.

t0ffeeman

Euston/ Queens Pk - Acton Central/Acton Main Line
Wembley C - Kensal Rise
Queens Park - Camden Road
S Hampstead - Camden Road
Camden Road - Finsbury Pk
Crouch Hill - Hornsey
Crouch Hill - Alex Palace
U Holloway - W Hampstead
Shep Bush - Acton Main Line
Acton Central/Acton Main Line - Wembley Stadium/Harrow-on-the-Hill
S Tottenham - Stratford
Woodgrange Pk - Forest Gate
Cricklewood - Acton Central/Acton Main Line

etc...

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Is there a return journey from Dunbar that stops at Drem?

No, and to be honest I don't know the official policy on the Drem stop on the outward journey from Edinburgh. It is not shown in the passenger timetable but is shown in the working timetable. This would imply that it is an unadvertised stop however there is no "N" shown between the time ie 10N29 nor an asterisk ie 10*29.

N = stop not advertised
* = Non-traffic stop (times not generated National Rail Timetable)

Scotrail84

Established Member
Read the bit in brackets!

Dalston is between Wigton and Carlisle?

Is Drem south of Dunbar?

Eaglescliffe and Yarm are connected by GC.

You could link up Newcastle-Chathill with Dunbar-Edinburgh and therefore provide some Newcastle-Edinburgh local services!

There's one BPW-Patchway in the morning around 7:00 and one back at around 22:00.

This is supposed to be happening from may 2011. We already run to dunbar now 3 a day. I think the stops are to be Dunbar,Berwick,Anlmouth,Morpeth and Newcastle. Not sure about any of the smaller intermediate stations though
No, and to be honest I don't know the official policy on the Drem stop on the outward journey from Edinburgh. It is not shown in the passenger timetable but is shown in the working timetable. This would imply that it is an unadvertised stop however there is no "N" shown between the time ie 10N29 nor an asterisk ie 10*29.

N = stop not advertised
* = Non-traffic stop (times not generated National Rail Timetable)

Heres what happens. On the 1000 Waverley to Dunbar service your first put into the loop at Prestonpans to allow the passage of the 1006 x/c service from Edinburgh to wherever it goes. Driver and Guard are instructed (on our diagram) that the train is to stop at Drem station to be regulated to allow the 1020 service from North Berwick to crossover at the junction infront of us. The doors do not get released at Drem and passengers may not board or alight thats why the stop is not advertised in the passenger timetable. Hope this helps you out a bit :)

scotsman

Established Member
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned already,
Lockerbie-Kirknewton

Established Member
This is supposed to be happening from may 2011. We already run to dunbar now 3 a day. I think the stops are to be Dunbar,Berwick,Anlmouth,Morpeth and Newcastle. Not sure about any of the smaller intermediate stations though

Won't include the Chathill and other stations, so still means either a long wait or an early morning/late evening train to Alnmouth/Morpeth/Newcastle for a train to Edinburgh.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned already,
Lockerbie-Kirknewton

Yes, you're right. I was on that stretch yesterday. I think folk are thinking that Carstairs is intermediate to both. I was on the last direct service from Lockerbie to Edinburgh. At 18:30 it is very early.

Should Kirknewton have a better service? Potentially as a link into stations on the Shotts line or specifically as a "Main Line" station for Livingston - the second largest settlement in the Lothians after Edinburgh.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Dronfield and Dore aren't consecutive stations as such, so not relevant to this topic. The sole platform at Dore is on the spur to the Hope Valley Line, so no direct connection to the MML southbound towards Dronfield.

To get from one to the other you have to reverse at Sheffield (or Totley Tunnel East and use the South Curve if you want to be really pedantic...)
True! I'd already discounted the suggestion, as a direct service does operate at 0720, however you're right, they're not consecutive stations anyway! I think I'm safe in saying that the alternative, given the lack of platforms on the relevant curve at Dore, of Grindleford to Dronfield has no direct service, and is unlikely ever to!
Heres what happens. On the 1000 Waverley to Dunbar service your first put into the loop at Prestonpans to allow the passage of the 1006 x/c service from Edinburgh to wherever it goes. Driver and Guard are instructed (on our diagram) that the train is to stop at Drem station to be regulated to allow the 1020 service from North Berwick to crossover at the junction infront of us. The doors do not get released at Drem and passengers may not board or alight thats why the stop is not advertised in the passenger timetable. Hope this helps you out a bit :)
In a sane timetable the 1000 would leave at about 1010 (1008 is the time of the XC service) instead of all that faffing about. I think NR just likes to loop trains sometimes for the hell of it (especially railtours!). There is no reason to loop the 1000 if it left at 1010, as the next ECML southbound service isn't until 1030! A 1010 departure to Dunbar would be in Dunbar station well before the 1030 had even passed Drem. Looping stopping trains in stations would be a good idea but sadly this country has very few stations on loops, so when trains are looped it can end up being in some ridiculous siding somewhere.

Oracle

Established Member
These two are served by the 0612 Totton - Romsey, the 0612 London Waterloo - Weymouth and the 0719 Southampton Central - Weymouth.

Thanks for that one. Where does the stock come from? Salisbury via Chandlers Ford or Test Valley line? ECS or in service?

Failed Unit

Established Member
Looping stopping trains in stations would be a good idea but sadly this country has very few stations on loops, so when trains are looped it can end up being in some ridiculous siding somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Which is the whole problem of a Newcastle - Edinburgh local service, the only place it can allow other trains to pass in a station is Dunbar. (Not much good Northbound either).

In a perfect world the local service would call at:
Edinburgh, Drem, Dunbar, Berwick-On-Tweed, Chathill, Alnmouth, Aklington, Widdrington, Pegswood, Morpeth, Cramlington and Newcastle.

However it would be impossible to path even with 125mph stock or would spend a lot of time sat in loops in the middle of no-where. I suspect this is why Alnmouth gets such a poor local service at the moment.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Looping stopping trains in stations would be a good idea but sadly this country has very few stations on loops, so when trains are looped it can end up being in some ridiculous siding somewhere.

Which is the whole problem of a Newcastle - Edinburgh local service, the only place it can allow other trains to pass in a station is Dunbar. (Not much good Northbound either).

Edinburgh, Drem, Dunbar, Berwick-On-Tweed, Chathill, Alnmouth, Aklington, Widdrington, Pegswood, Morpeth, Cramlington and Newcastle.

However it would be impossible to path even with 125mph stock or would spend a lot of time sat in loops in the middle of no-where. I suspect this is why Alnmouth gets such a poor local service at the moment.[/QUOTE]

A hourly service planned to the above stations in bold. With East Coast virtually pulling out of running trains to Glasgow Central come December more paths on the ECML coud be available. No idea what traction will be used, rumours of 185s possibly. I reckon it will be 170s

Failed Unit

Established Member

However it would be impossible to path even with 125mph stock or would spend a lot of time sat in loops in the middle of no-where. I suspect this is why Alnmouth gets such a poor local service at the moment.

A hourly service planned to the above stations in bold. With East Coast virtually pulling out of running trains to Glasgow Central come December more paths on the ECML coud be available. No idea what traction will be used, rumours of 185s possibly. I reckon it will be 170s

I know Eureka is changing but the publish version showed that some hours there would be 3tph between Edinburgh and Newcastle, 2 for London (one fast and one slower along with XC's). If the use DMU's then it would be criminal on an all electric route, 380's would be better. :D

If you look at the timetable it is about 1h25 minutes from Newcastle - Edinburgh with 1 stop. It takes about 1h40 for trains that currently stop Dunbar, Berwick-on-Tweed, Alnmouth, Morpeth. So I guess they could keep out of each others way (just) remembering a lot of the track isn't 125mph anyway.

I think Cramlington should be a stop just to get rid of the Morpeth - Newcastle shuttle from the equation. It is currently timetable for about 20mins on a 75mph unit.

Be interesting to see what happens, but I suspect that if the train service existed a lot of the towns between Alnmouth and Morpeth would have a reasonable demand into Newcastle.

pemma

Veteran Member
Warrington Bank Quay - Acton Bridge

In the same area the WCML meets the Mid-Cheshire line in the Hartford area but there's no trains between Greenbank or Cuddington and Hartford or Acton Bridge.

There's also:
* Runcorn to Frodsham
* Northwich or Greenbank to Sandbach (via a freight only line)
* Trafford Park to Manchester United Halt

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman

Established Member
Should Kirknewton have a better service? Potentially as a link into stations on the Shotts line or specifically as a "Main Line" station for Livingston - the second largest settlement in the Lothians after Edinburgh.

Perhaps, SRPS stop their West Coast tours there for that exact purpose. Much to the annoyance of local motorists on the return leg, as we have quite a few coaches more than the station can take (8), with the rest blocking the crossing for around 3 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.