• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Considerations re traction engines on public roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calthrop

Established Member
Prompted by a recent conversation with my brother: where the subject came up, of steam enthusiasts who own traction engines. We wondered about standard regulations as for private motor vehicles -- licensing, insurance, tax and what-have-you; and whether these differ in any way for, specifically, steam traction engines?

It occurred to us as likely that a traction engine (these are, after all, driven on public roads by their owners) would be potentially more "wearing" on road surfaces, than a rubber-tyred vehicle; whence wondering whether regulations as regards the legally obligatory costs / charges, differ at all -- presumably in the direction of being greater -- from those for more conventional road conveyances.

Not a thing which had ever crossed my mind before... would be grateful for any answers here, from folk knowledgeable about such matters.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Could I just point out that many of the traction engines used on the road are fitted with rubber tyres, and travel at such low speed that damage is unlikely. There are some that are not fitted, whether there are further costs or prohibitions, I don't know.

Calthrop

Established Member
@Westcountryman -- thanks. I and my brother know next to nothing about traction engines -- had no idea that their large rear wheels, anyway, could be fitted with rubber tyres ! You live and learn...

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Are most of the vehicles old enough to be exempt from 'road tax', or is it MOT I'm thinking of? (I don't drive).

The boiler will require certification - as per steam locomotives.

There are, of course traction engines and road rollers - both being powered by steam or other new fangled fuels.

I recommend a trip to Youtube for some Fred Dibnah videos!

etr221

'Steam vehicles' are exempt from vehicle tax - but they do have to be taxed, it's just that no fee is payable. An MOT may not be required, but boiler certificate certainly is, also insurance.

A web search led me to https://www.berrybrooksteam.co.uk/faqs, Registering a Model Traction Engine for use on the public highway. and The National Traction Engine Trust - who have a page Traction Engines and the Law from which I found that (unless it has pneumatic tyres on all wheels), if it has 'resilient wheels', speed limit is 20 mph, if not, 5 mph. And if it is a 'Locomotive' a driver AND attendant (or 2nd driver) are required (and more attendants if more than one trailer); and a Code of Practice.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Grateful thanks, everyone. An education indeed, in traction-engine lore and legalities.

randyrippley

Established Member
as far as I can remember from past discussions the annual "boiler certificate" is actually an MOT and checks the entire vehicle

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
As an aside, the cost of a traction engine in good working order, with certification, means it is very much a rich man’s hobby, and if tax was charged at HGV rates it really wouldn’t be a problem. I have an uncle who had two, sold his Showman’s engine a decade ago for a long way into six figures.

It just amazes me that there is a sufficiently large overlap between the Venn diagram circles of “have a load of money to spend on a very expensive hobby” and “love traction engines” to continue this high level of prices. I wonder if it is a hobby that will slowly fade.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
As an aside, the cost of a traction engine in good working order, with certification, means it is very much a rich man’s hobby, and if tax was charged at HGV rates it really wouldn’t be a problem. I have an uncle who had two, sold his Showman’s engine a decade ago for a long way into six figures.

It just amazes me that there is a sufficiently large overlap between the Venn diagram circles of “have a load of money to spend on a very expensive hobby” and “love traction engines” to continue this high level of prices. I wonder if it is a hobby that will slowly fade.
Could the same be applied to ownership of steam railway locomotives? Historically railway preservation has had it's share of 'celebrity' individuals owning the well known locos - Flying Scotsman, for example. At least preserved locomotives can be hired out to preserved railways / mainline charters to generate some income. Can't think of much current day commercial use for a steam traction engine though.

Except:
Nuclear conflict drama 'Threads',
Strategic Steam Reserve,
Need to restart agricultural production post Electro-Magnetic Pulse.

Status
Not open for further replies.