• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Contactless on GWR and barriers at Paddington

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero

Can contactless to Reading be used on any GWR train including those going to Cornwall and Wales?

I haven't been to Paddington for 3+ years but I have read about the issue with some TfL/GWR trains using the Heathrow Express platforms which causes incorrect charging.

I seem to remember that there were no barriers on the low-numbered platforms - have any been installed now? If not, is there somewhere to touch in with contactless?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I haven't been to Paddington for 3+ years but I have read about the issue with some TfL/GWR trains using the Heathrow Express platforms which causes incorrect charging.
That issue was about times of the day when TfL Rail runs to Heathrow from platforms 2 to 5 and the Heathrow Express fare is charged specifically for travel between Paddington and Heathrow.

The fares to anywhere else will be charged at the appropriate rate, so fares to Reading will be charged at the rates shown on the single fare finder regardless of which ticket gates are used.

I seem to remember that there were no barriers on the low-numbered platforms - have any been installed now? If not, is there somewhere to touch in with contactless?
There are stand alone readers on platforms 1, 8 and 9 near the buffer stops / concourse buildings and at the bottom of the stairs to the overbridge. The GWR direct award mentions proposals for a barrier scheme for platforms 8 and 9 being brought forward. Platforms 2-5, 6-7 and 10-14 are gated. There is no out-of-station interchange when using the platform 6-7 barriers - eg touching these barriers will split the journey.
79. Paddington Platform Ticket Gates
The Franchisee shall use all reasonable endeavours to procure by no later than 31 March 2021 (and in any event by no later than 31 October 2022) the installation of commissioned and operational automatic ticket gates at platforms 8 and 9 at London Paddington station. The Franchisee shall ensure that such ticket gates are staffed for eight (8) hours during any Weekday and four (4) hours during any day that is not a Weekday from the date of completion of installation and commissioning for the remainder of the Franchise Term. The Franchisee’s obligations under this paragraph 79 are conditional on all applicable consents (including listed building and other planning consents, Network Rail consent, and station change at London Paddington station), which the Franchisee shall in each case use all reasonable endeavours to obtain.
I have started a different thread in the appropriate section about these gates
https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...ms-8-and-9-at-paddington.216051/#post-5076031

Last edited:

zero

That issue was about times of the day when TfL Rail runs to Heathrow from platforms 2 to 5 and the Heathrow Express fare is charged specifically for travel between Paddington and Heathrow.

There are stand alone readers on platforms 1, 8 and 9 near the buffer stops / concourse buildings and at the bottom of the stairs to the overbridge. The GWR direct award mentions proposals for a barrier scheme for platforms 8 and 9 being brought forward. Platforms 2-5, 6-7 and 10-14 are gated. There is no out-of-station interchange when using the platform 6-7 barriers - eg touching these barriers will split the journey.

That makes sense. Thanks for the info

matt_world2004

Established Member
Is contactless valid to Reading on all GWR services, including the fast services?
Yes except the ones that are pick up only at reading when coming from Paddington and the ones that are set down only at reading when going to Paddington.

davetheguard

Established Member
As an aside to the question of Contactless acceptance on GWR services between Reading & Paddington, how do on train ticket staff check that you've touched in at your origin point? I can see with Oyster that they would have access to some sort of back office information, but would they really have access to the same sort of information from a credit card company/bank?

zero

They scan your card with a device that records the card number as a standalone reader would. At the end of the day the back office processing works out whether you were touched in. If you weren't, a maximum fare or penalty fare may be charged.

johncrossley

Established Member
They scan your card with a device that records the card number as a standalone reader would. At the end of the day the back office processing works out whether you were touched in. If you weren't, a maximum fare or penalty fare may be charged.

How could a Penalty fare be issued?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
They don’t issue a Penalty Fare is you’ve not touched in, but a maximum fare.

Too many maximum fares in a set period of time results in the card being blocked.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
They don’t issue a Penalty Fare if you’ve not touched in, but a maximum fare.
Correct, but it is a special kind of maximum fare known as a revenue inspection charge.
Too many maximum fares in a set period of time results in the card being blocked.
Only if they're revenue inspection charges. If you get a maximum fare because you forget to touch out at the end of a journey then that has no bearing on whether your card will be blocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.