• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conwy Valley Line Reopening Date? Update: line now open

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
And someone who is fluent in a foreign language would take far less than two weeks to recover their fluency. Two hours, more like.
What are the linespeeds? Could they not be instructed to drive at visual speeds even if it made them a few minutes late.

Drivers have refreshed by watching a video. The cancellations due to shortage of train crews is not primarily due to crews requiring to refresh but a general shortage of crews at Chester and in North Wales aggravated by the effect of COVID on training. There have been many cancellations in North Wales and the Conwy Valley has not been isolation where cancellations are concerned.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InOban

Established Member
That seems fair enough. I'm well aware of the issues with 'passing out' new drivers at the end of their training.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
All the Conwy Valleys are cancelled tomorrow with no road transport. The reason given for these given on Journey Check is "Short notice change to the Timetable" and this applies to many more services that are cancelled. It would appear this is due to the Wales "Firewall" lock down when passengers are being discouraged from travelling by the message "Essential Travel Only". TFW only publicise these alterations through the individual services on Journey Check and if anybody asks a question they are referred to "Journey Planner" or NRE

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I suppose, to be fair, during the national lockdown there was no Marston Vale service at all, rather WMT just asked people to contact them if this posed an issue and a taxi would be provided. I don't suspect they provided very many taxis, and, while we are comparing two basket-case lines, I suspect the Marston Vale probably carries rather more passengers.

And there's the X19 still running, presumably.

Welshman

Established Member
All the Conwy Valleys are cancelled tomorrow with no road transport. The reason given for these given on Journey Check is "Short notice change to the Timetable" and this applies to many more services that are cancelled. It would appear this is due to the Wales "Firewall" lock down when passengers are being discouraged from travelling by the message "Essential Travel Only". TFW only publicise these alterations through the individual services on Journey Check and if anybody asks a question they are referred to "Journey Planner" or NRE
Interestingly, whilst today's Journey Check gives the same reason for their cancellation and omits any mention of alternative road transport, the Journey Planner will sell me tickets with the substitute bus times given!

Welshman

Established Member
According to TfW's Journey Check, the line is again closed because of flooding!

krus_aragon

Established Member

Though that may well be due to river levels rising above the warning mark on some bridges, rather than serious washouts. It has been rather damp here the past few days...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

It will always flood, it's on the floodplain of a river. The question is whether the preventative work done this time will stop the flooding causing damage.

Welshman

Established Member
Ah, I see its in the cutting now, near Llanrwst station.
Thank you wobman, for the pictures.

Welshman

Established Member
Shock! Horror!

I can see the headlines:. 'Railway built on flood plain floods during rainy season'.

Who'd have thought it?
But my point was that if the pictures are where I think they are, it's not on the flood plain, but in a cutting in the middle of the town:D

Established Member
Reported on the local NW Coast Rail Facebook page of more washouts. Hopefully nothing too serious but even I, as an ardant defender of the line, I'm now worried about its future especially with C19

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Trains are not running due to "short notice change to Timetable" according to TFW Journey Check. Yesterday it was saying that services are suspended due to Wales lockdown reduction of services and no road transport provided. We will have to wait to see what happens next Monday when the "firebreak" lockdown finishes.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Trains are not running due to "short notice change to Timetable" acco5rding to TFW Journey Check. Yesterday it was saying that services are suspended due to Wales lockdown reduvtion of services and no road transport provided. We will have to wait to see what happens next Monday when the "firebreak" lockdown finishes.

Road transport sort of is provided - the X19.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
TFW keep changing their mind day to day. Journey Check says that there is road transport provided today on the Conwy Valley.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Line repaired in a week. To reopen on Monday.

If trains actually run is a different question.

TFW have been saying that the line was closed this week due to COVID reduced service with no mention of weather related problem

EDIT:- Just come across communication from Network Rai. TFW info seems vague

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
What do they need two 153s for? Is it so the guard can have a coach to himself?

It's not exactly going to be busy at the moment.

Because of the way TFW interpret Welsh Government Guidance on Social Distancing, they are not running any single 153s. When 153s are running on the HOWL and Pembroke Dock Branch they are running in pairs. Please don't ask why as the answer is known only by TFW

Llandudno

Established Member
Why have they started allocating 2 x 153s again when only a 150 will ‘fit’ at Dolgarrog?

You couldn’t make it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.