• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conwy Valley Line Reopening Date? Update: line now open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Why have they started allocating 2 x 153s again when only a 150 will ‘fit’ at Dolgarrog?

You couldn’t make it up!

Also begs the question as to why when they rebuilt Dolgarrog they didn't either (a) build it really short and have it operated local door only, thus saving money, or (b) spend a little and make it 48m long so it could take a 2-car 197 (and therefore a pair of 153s) as it will get at some point if it doesn't end up floating down the Conwy again before they get chance.

Or is it perhaps the case that with 197s they will be operating the doors from a passenger door, and as these are at thirds they can just leave 4m hanging off the back and put the S board 4m off the end, but all passenger doors will be accommodated?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Why have they started allocating 2 x 153s again when only a 150 will ‘fit’ at Dolgarrog?

You couldn’t make it up!

Perhaps there were not enough 150s available.

Also begs the question as to why when they rebuilt Dolgarrog they didn't either (a) build it really short and have it operated local door only, thus saving money, or (b) spend a little and make it 48m long so it could take a 2-car 197 (and therefore a pair of 153s) as it will get at some point if it doesn't end up floating down the Conwy again before they get chance.

Or is it perhaps the case that with 197s they will be operating the doors from a passenger door, and as these are at thirds they can just leave 4m hanging off the back and put the S board 4m off the end, but all passenger doors will be accommodated?

When the station was designed it was pre-COVID so when COVID is hopefully all over things can revert to normal and restrictions can be removed. These are exceptional circumstances and nothing wrong with NORMAL TIME operation. Remember there are other stations in North Wales at which trains are not calling due to short platforms and COVID

Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member

I think it's because Network Rail were just repairing the flood damage.

I've been told that the money for the various flood repairs in recent years comes from a maintenance/repair budget. The reason they've only repaired and fitted new culverts and drainage to the track that's been washed out, and not taking the same action as a pre-emptive measure elsewhere on the line, is that it would be considered an "improvement" rather than maintenance, and would require a bid from a diferent pot of money.

I would not be surprised to learn that platform extensions would need to come from the same pot of money, and that Dolgarrog's new platform is exactly the same length as the old one.

williamn

I see that trains are currently still replaced by buses - is this still due to Covid? There doesn't seem to be any mention of it on the TFW site.

williamn

Very well hidden, I failed to find it and I'm in relative terms a railway nut!
(thanks though)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
On resumption of services today following a COVID reduced Timetable, the line is closed between North Llanrwst and Blaenau Ffestiniog due to flooding. Hopefully should be OK tomorrow.

Re-opening for last service today.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I've been told that the money for the various flood repairs in recent years comes from a maintenance/repair budget. The reason they've only repaired and fitted new culverts and drainage to the track that's been washed out, and not taking the same action as a pre-emptive measure elsewhere on the line, is that it would be considered an "improvement" rather than maintenance, and would require a bid from a different pot of money.
Thanks for clarifying that particular matter.

krus_aragon

Established Member
This line should be renamed The Sinatra Line......
They Can't Take That (branch line) Away From Me?

River Stay 'Way From My Door?

Here's That Rainy Day?

My (Permanent) Way?

Close(d) to You?

Come Rain or Come Shine?

alternatively, B*Witched might be in with a shout for "Blame it on the Weatherman" ...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Because it needs some 'Frank' and honest decisions about its future? :)

It certainly does need a look at funding with regard to doing preventative work, assuming it is to stay open. "That's a different budget" is almost like the old "best spend the budget by 31st March or we don't get it until next year" - neither of them have a place in a properly run organisation.

Status
Not open for further replies.