• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coping strategies for the time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascotroyal

As someone who suffers with severe anxiety and is on medication for it i find exercise really helps. I go for long walks and go running.

Im also a football fan so watching football on tv keeps my mind busy. Just a shame cant go and watch my team (Reading fc) in person.

I used to drink a crazy amount of caffeine and that made my anxiety worse so maybe cut back on caffeine if you drink it.

When your feeling down try to talk to someone about it and not bottle it up. Thankfully i have my fiancee who i can talk to about it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Red Onion

Not really bothering to do something properly can be quite liberating. I'm learning foreign languages on Duolingo, but 8 of them at once. If I don't make any progress then I built my excuse upfront.

I’ll second Duolingo, I’m studying just one language but it’s a good use of time. I’m not really doing it seriously and there are much better ways to learn a language but something to tax the brain anyway.

takno

Established Member
I’ll second Duolingo, I’m studying just one language but it’s a good use of time. I’m not really doing it seriously and there are much better ways to learn a language but something to tax the brain anyway.
To be honest I've made a lot of progress in Polish and Norwegian over the last couple of years, but that's involved more than just Duolingo. Watching stuff in the original language on Netflix with subtitles is certainly... interesting.

What's really important is not to convince yourself this is a new life skill, or it's for your CV, or that by the end of lockdown you'll be able to do something. It's really just a game that feels a bit productive. I do it when I wake up, and if I'm in the mood then I'll spend 2 hours on it. If I'm not in the mood I get the streak and then bin it

Red Onion

It’s Norwegian I’m doing! I completely agree, it isn’t really much of a language course if I’m honest but like you, I see it as just a series of challenges. I have thought about taking up a proper language course once this is all over.

DelayRepay

Established Member
As someone who lives alone, there are a couple of things I found helpful.

One is getting some fresh air every day, even if it's just a short walk around the village. A slight advantage to constant working from home (for me, I know all jobs are different), is a bit more flexibility to just take a break for an hour when I feel like it. Over recent days this has been helpful to be able to take advantage of a gap in the rain.

Another is keeping the house tidy, even though there are no visitors. I did let things slip at the start, but having a clean and tidy home does seem to make me feel better.

Another thing, although this won't work for everyone, was avoiding any kind of Zoom based replacement for normal social events such as quizzes or parties. I know some people enjoy this kind of thing, but for me they were just a reminder of things that we weren't allowed to do and rather than cheering me up they made me feel down. Someone at work has said they're going to organise a Zoom Christmas Party, given the real party won't be happening. Honestly I cannot think of anything more depressing!

As I have lots of unused annual leave, I am booking a series of long weekends between now and March. My plan is to try to go away, if possible and restrictions at the time permit. Even just a night in a hotel would be a change of scenery. Ideally by the sea side because being near the sea always cheers me up. If they're booked in advance, it also gives a feeling of something to look forward to.

My real problem is that I moved for work, so I live about 150 miles from my family and most of my friends (certainly the close friends). What all of this makes me realise is that I really miss them. I've not lived near them for over 10 years but it's only in the last six months that I've felt home sick.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Languages
French from school, Welsh, German, Polish, Dutch
Reading wikipedia in French is worthwhile, the articles about cycle racing can be more detailed than the English articles

There is so much to read, I like short stories, reading more poetry now, Housman, Larkin
Often a poem says something so compactly, every word counts

Bantamzen

Established Member
As someone who lives alone, there are a couple of things I found helpful.

One is getting some fresh air every day, even if it's just a short walk around the village. A slight advantage to constant working from home (for me, I know all jobs are different), is a bit more flexibility to just take a break for an hour when I feel like it. Over recent days this has been helpful to be able to take advantage of a gap in the rain.

Another is keeping the house tidy, even though there are no visitors. I did let things slip at the start, but having a clean and tidy home does seem to make me feel better.

Another thing, although this won't work for everyone, was avoiding any kind of Zoom based replacement for normal social events such as quizzes or parties. I know some people enjoy this kind of thing, but for me they were just a reminder of things that we weren't allowed to do and rather than cheering me up they made me feel down. Someone at work has said they're going to organise a Zoom Christmas Party, given the real party won't be happening. Honestly I cannot think of anything more depressing!

As I have lots of unused annual leave, I am booking a series of long weekends between now and March. My plan is to try to go away, if possible and restrictions at the time permit. Even just a night in a hotel would be a change of scenery. Ideally by the sea side because being near the sea always cheers me up. If they're booked in advance, it also gives a feeling of something to look forward to.

My real problem is that I moved for work, so I live about 150 miles from my family and most of my friends (certainly the close friends). What all of this makes me realise is that I really miss them. I've not lived near them for over 10 years but it's only in the last six months that I've felt home sick.

Right back at the beginning my team (which is spread all over the country) opted to have a "virtual drinks" session every Friday to boost moral, I signed into the first two and have never done so since. It was as you say a reminder of all the things we couldn't do. At least now pubs are open my wife and I can escape up to the locals for a few, and have conversations with people w now even if it does occasionally involve a bit of shouting.

The one thing that does help me out is being able to walk along the Aire Valley, where for the most part people still acknowledge each other with a friendly smile & don't dive into the river or canal to avoid coming within 2 metres for a matter of seconds. That simple interaction helps a lot.

jtuk

As someone who suffers with severe anxiety and is on medication for it i find exercise really helps. I go for long walks and go running.

Im also a football fan so watching football on tv keeps my mind busy. Just a shame cant go and watch my team (Reading fc) in person.

Got to be some fairly local teams playing at a level where you can watch in person?

It's tough. It's only the hope that either Dolan's legal challenge is successful and that, eventually, the truth will out and Johnson, Hancock, Whitty and Vallance will see their day in court that keeps me going

Smidster

I am trying, but largely failing, to avoid the news but it isn't easy and only one look at the 538 Presidential Forecast per day :smile:

My main problem is that I don't really have anything in the way of a release or thing to get "lost in" at the end of the day. Unfortunately I am not, and have never been a "social cat" and when you live alone and don't have a partner or friends you are constantly alone with your thoughts which is hard at the best of times let alone when you also have nothing to look forward to.

I guess the main ones are keeping up with exercise, I am one of those freaks who does an hour on the exercise bike at 6am each day, and regular walks (one of the few good things about living in a rural area) but of course that is more fun in the Spring & Summer.

All in all don't listen to me! :lol:

DustyBin

Established Member
One tip I have found useful when going to the pub is to decide in advance how much I am going to drink, and only take just enough cash (no cards) to cover the cost.

eg. In my local one of my favourite beers costs £3.40 per pint, so if I decide I am going to have 3 pints, I take £10.20 in cash and no cards at all.

That way it is impossible to drink more than you intended to do, which can be very easy to do if you are anxious or depressed.

Also be wary of keeping alcohol in the house, as it is very easy to reach for a bottle or can when you hear an item of bad news, and there are an awful lot of those around at the moment.

Knowing my luck I’d get there only to find the price of a pint had gone up by 2p!

Joking aside, do be careful of alcohol in the house, and I say that as somebody who exceeds the RDA on a regular basis....

Sport is a great suggestion, team sports bring all kinds of benefits but if you’re not into football etc. I really recommend looking up your local boxing gym. I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea and I may be biased, but memberships are generally affordable (the gyms are often in less well-to-do areas) and usually include a number of classes per week so you’re not having to rely purely on self motivation (and they’ll teach you the basics). It’s a great way to improve physical and mental health and build confidence.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
One hopes the habit of keeping away from strangers where possible (on trains, in food stores, cycling, driving) outlives the pandemic

DustyBin

Established Member
One hopes the habit of keeping away from strangers where possible (on trains, in food stores, cycling, driving) outlives the pandemic

Increased hand hygeine has been another benefit I'll admit that. Although I'm wary of the side effects of over sanitising.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Increased hand hygeine has been another benefit I'll admit that. Although I'm wary of the side effects of over sanitising.
I totally agree. I can't give you a scientific answer but over use of anti-biotics led to problems. All evolutionary biology has taught us and we have evolved to live with microbes, bacteria etc. I am very wary of over-sanitation.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I wash my hands at home and I wear gloves when I go out, I do not fancy using disinfectant provided by strangers at a food store or elsewhere

MattA7

So do I I either wash my hands at home after removing the gloves or use my own hands sanitizer

Howardh

Established Member
Got to be some fairly local teams playing at a level where you can watch in person?

It's tough. It's only the hope that either Dolan's legal challenge is successful and that, eventually, the truth will out and Johnson, Hancock, Whitty and Vallance will see their day in court that keeps me going
The lower leagues, way below the Football league, are admitting fans into their grounds, in the one I now follow the North West Counties League where capacity is restricted to 300 BUT the clubs rarely get that number, and their club-houses are open for a drink and a natter. However, as BuryAFC are in the NWCL second division, than there are issues with gates and ticketing. But apart from that, stroll up, pay at the gate and enjoy "proper" football.

I've missed watching cricket live this year.

DelayRepay

Established Member
I am not a really a cricket fan, but there was an evening in the summer when I was sat in the beer garden, watching the local cricket team play on the recreation ground. I was with a friend who I had not seen for months, and the sun was out.

I remember that evening because, sad though this may sound, it was probably the most pleasant couple of hours of 2020, when covid was forgotten and we had been transported back to happier times.

Howardh

Established Member
I am not a really a cricket fan, but there was an evening in the summer when I was sat in the beer garden, watching the local cricket team play on the recreation ground. I was with a friend who I had not seen for months, and the sun was out.

I remember that evening because, sad though this may sound, it was probably the most pleasant couple of hours of 2020, when covid was forgotten and we had been transported back to happier times.
I've had three trips and stays in Brighton since hospitality re-opened, mainly because it's the one place in the UK (mainland) that felt "normal". Sure most are wearing masks, but the vast majority of pubs open, some till late, hotels open (safe for a few on the front) and shops really busy. Just felt so last year....

DustyBin

Established Member
I wash my hands at home and I wear gloves when I go out, I do not fancy using disinfectant provided by strangers at a food store or elsewhere
So do I I either wash my hands at home after removing the gloves or use my own hands sanitizer

You’re aware that gloves aren’t recommended aren’t you? I’ve used loads of in-store hand sanitisers and they’ve been fine.

Ascotroyal

Yeah Ascot United and Bracknell Town are my local teams. No idea if their league season is on at the mo. Will have to have a look and find out.

Howardh

Established Member
Yeah Ascot United and Bracknell Town are my local teams. No idea if their league season is on at the mo. Will have to have a look and find out.
Ascot United v Abbey Rangers Tuesday 29th September7:45pm KO Tickets are now available to supporters to book to attend our next fixture here Please note tickets should be purchased in advance and to protect staff
https://ascotunited.net/team/seniors/ascot-united-first/

Bet it's a seven-goal thriller!

Status
Not open for further replies.