• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus or cancellation insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

codek

Hi,

I'm looking at booking the caledonian sleeper. Their advice is book a flexible ticket - but the flex tickets are £280 more than the already expensive fixed tickets.

I understand if the service doesnt run, then i'll get a refund.

But; they've made it clear that if I don't travel due to say lockdown in Scotland meaning I can't travel, then there'll be no refund.

So; Is there any way to protect against that? Travel insurance maybe? Does that apply when travelling within the uk? I saw a few sites that suggest the insurers are now covering covid, but it seems geared around travelling abroad!

Thanks!
Dan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
I saw a few sites that suggest the insurers are now covering covid, but it seems geared around travelling abroad!
That is the way of most travel insurance. You will probably find that if you could get the sort of cover you would like, it will be at a price that you don't like.

35B

Established Member
Hi,

I'm looking at booking the caledonian sleeper. Their advice is book a flexible ticket - but the flex tickets are £280 more than the already expensive fixed tickets.

I understand if the service doesnt run, then i'll get a refund.

But; they've made it clear that if I don't travel due to say lockdown in Scotland meaning I can't travel, then there'll be no refund.

So; Is there any way to protect against that? Travel insurance maybe? Does that apply when travelling within the uk? I saw a few sites that suggest the insurers are now covering covid, but it seems geared around travelling abroad!

Thanks!
Dan
I have an annual policy, and it is quite clear that it won’t protect against a situation like this, where I know that my booking is at risk of cancellation because of a change in public health measures around Covid. I’d be surprised if any insurer, on discovering you’d been advised to book a flexible ticket because if the risk of cancellation, would be willing to pay out.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I would probably suggest that the reality of your situation is that the rail operator will refuse to pay out if you don't travel, otherwise than if the service is disrupted, and that this risk isn't commercially feasible to insure against. You've hinted that the flexible ticket prices aren't realistic in your budget, so assuming this is the case, your choices are therefore:

• Book but accept 100% of the risk on the ticket price yourself
  • Find another way to travel than the railway

I know which I'd choose!

A third way is to wait and book the day before travelling, but of course if you do that you need to wait and book any associated hotels or other travel last-minute too. You might well find one of these full, scuppering your entire trip, or find that last-minute also exceed your budget. At least this way you do not lose cash, though.

If it were me, I wouldn't be booking any sort of service (travel, accommodation, or anything else) that didn't specify in the terms and conditions that I could change it. Obviously this excludes some things entirely, or pushes the cost up way out of my budget. I think the reality is, Cal Sleeper don't really want this business.

Last edited:

codek

Ok seems fair enough.

Funny though there was an article from the BBC on this. Lner are also taking the same stance on the basis that they've been told to.

the hotel tickets are fully flexible too! Abd the extra cost there is pennies

codek

Funnily enough they've now updated their policy:

Indeed - you can now get refunds, if they dont run the service (they've dropped a load of them) and/or if your "reason for essential travel" is no longer valid.

However; Thats only for pre-existing bookings, if you book NOW then you don't get free cancellation. unless they change their mind again!

Status
Not open for further replies.