• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus spam emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
I've been getting some amusing spam emails from someone (they all say "I" and "my" etc but a name is never given), the aim of which is to get me to click the link in the email. I've copied one here for you to read (there shouldn't be any links in the text, if there are, don't click them!):
If you’re counting on your government to shield you from the deadly coronavirus, I have a message for you...

Don’t be silly.

They wouldn’t know how even if they tried.

Leaked private meetings between U.S. health officials tell us.... they are in a panic.

Not only do they not know what to do...

They’re not really sure how many people are infected.

Reports from the United States range from 35 to 105.

They are at a loss.

But you don’t have to be.

There is 1 thing you can do...right now...to save yourself.

You have to see this CLICK HERE

1 thing to protect yourself from the deadly coronavirus. And I don’t mean masks (they can’t protect you if a droplet gets in your eyes).

Smallpox killed 300 million people and had a LOWER mortality rate than coronavirus.

That’s the entire population of the United States and the coronavirus is playing out a very similar pattern.

Do you realize that once one of your family members gets it you won’t be able to take care of them or even see them.

Because they could spread it to you.

Imagine not being able to hold or even touch your sick child.

Don’t let it happen to you CLICK HERE

P.S. That video is making WAVES on the internet. No offense, but you’re probably the last person to see it.
I especially like the last sentence, it totally convinces me that this is a genuine email...

Is anyone else getting similar emails?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
I had a number of texts on my mobile all claiming to be from the NHS, some with the sender's numbers visible, some of them without. Not one quoted my NHS number as I would expect a genuine NHS text to do, so I ignored them! Checking the visible sender's numbers on the "Who called me" website, revealed a large number of queries. Apparently there was an embedded link visible on smart phones (my mobile is a very basic one!) and the majority opinion was that these were scammers at their evil tricks.....

Domh245

Established Member
I've had 2 texts from "NHSNOREPLY", one telling me to stay indoors and another saying to download the NHS app, although my sister also received additional texts as her GP has identified her as being at high-risk. Interestingly when trying to check the sender's numbers it just comes up as "NHSNOREPLY"

I don't see why you'd expect them to quote your NHS number in the text - these are generic ones sent out to the entire population rather than patient specific ones, even the ones like my sister received about being at a higher risk will be a bulk message.

John Webb

Established Member
I've had 2 texts from "NHSNOREPLY", one telling me to stay indoors and another saying to download the NHS app, although my sister also received additional texts as her GP has identified her as being at high-risk. Interestingly when trying to check the sender's numbers it just comes up as "NHSNOREPLY"

I don't see why you'd expect them to quote your NHS number in the text - these are generic ones sent out to the entire population rather than patient specific ones, even the ones like my sister received about being at a higher risk will be a bulk message.
I did wonder if some texts were genuine - but the detailed NHS letter came through the post yesterday anyway with it's recommendations, so for 12 weeks I'm gardening, railway modelling etc. out of direct contact with others.

ABB125

Established Member
I've had two texts from my doctor's surgery saying that, effectively, you can't go and see a doctor unless it's absolutely vital. I haven't checked the number, but it looks correct, and the messages seem reasonable.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The only text I have had was one from GOV .uk on the 24th, thankfully and one from the dentist to cancel my six-month check-up.

No spam e-mails thankfully, but it's disheartening to see such things at times like this, we could all do without it

Status
Not open for further replies.