• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus virus effect on Heritage lines Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meerkat

Established Member
I think leiaure charities need government grants. I hope heritage railways and other leisure charities do get some sort of government grant even if they don't get their share of this money
The best leisure charities can hope for is business grants etc and maybe a redirection of lottery heritage money if their collapse would affect heritage assets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harvey B

The best leisure charities can hope for is business grants etc and maybe a redirection of lottery heritage money if their collapse would affect heritage assets.
Hopefully, especially the ones that are seriously on the brink of collapse

Last edited:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I can imagine that there could be some minor issues that might turn in major and expensive issues if you left them until reopening.

E.g.
- If we had a lot of rain, blocked drains not dealt with promptly might lead to ballast washouts and track damage.

- Temporary measures can sometimes be put in place to stop earth movements worsening

So I'd say a weekly inspection would still be prudent.

Hmm. While unneccesary travel is limited I'd say that is risk based. I would only inspect after heavy rain/flooding of, which we have none. Landslips again is a very very specific measure. They are exceptional rather than the norm and weekly line inspections are not a mitigation against Landslips really, not when we will be closed for months.

I agree some form of inspection is required but a formal weekly inspection on a closed railway while the government is saying no one do any non-essential travel, still don't feel its neccesary. I am expecting to have several months where restrictions are not as restrictive but the railway still won't be open allowing plenty of time to identify and remedy and defects.

fireftrm

Hmm. While unneccesary travel is limited I'd say that is risk based. I would only inspect after heavy rain/flooding of, which we have none. Landslips again is a very very specific measure. They are exceptional rather than the norm and weekly line inspections are not a mitigation against Landslips really, not when we will be closed for months.

I agree some form of inspection is required but a formal weekly inspection on a closed railway while the government is saying no one do any non-essential travel, still don't feel its neccesary. I am expecting to have several months where restrictions are not as restrictive but the railway still won't be open allowing plenty of time to identify and remedy and defects.
A formal inspection, at whatever interval is decided upon, would be essential for the railway. The travel should only be for whoever is to carry out the inspection from their home to their workplace and this is not a job that can be done from home. Taking such as a shunter and brake van along the line to check for damage and, probabaly more importantly, theft or vanadalism, is not only important from being sure the infrastructire remains safe but is the only way to carry out a security check. With properly organised social distancing - one person in the shunter one in the brake van - this is entlrely sensible and I would strongly argue necessary

YorkshireBear

Established Member
A formal inspection, at whatever interval is decided upon, would be essential for the railway. The travel should only be for whoever is to carry out the inspection from their home to their workplace and this is not a job that can be done from home. Taking such as a shunter and brake van along the line to check for damage and, probabaly more importantly, theft or vanadalism, is not only important from being sure the infrastructire remains safe but is the only way to carry out a security check. With properly organised social distancing - one person in the shunter one in the brake van - this is entlrely sensible and I would strongly argue necessary

Security yes I agree. But that doesn't need to be a formal track inspection. That is a very different thing which is what I was arguing against.

My railway is shut and therefore the same level of detailed infrastructure inspection is not required. The railway cannot be reopened until the engineers have assessed the line. We will have plenty of warning of potential reopening, ie after the lockdown is ended but social distancing rules are still in force and not only that the locomotive fleet will require statutory inspections. These rules will not jusg vanish overnight without warning. Therefore there is absolutely no need for inspections over and above security purposes (which can be done by anyone rather than trained inspectors), this reduces volunteer requirements and reduces risk by getting people to stay at home as we are told to. Security inspections will identify any major infrastructure failures anyway. The time will come for detailed inspections and work to be undertaken. Until then railway is shut and anyone who can should stay at home.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sorry for the double post (from the Llangollen thread) but it's probably as relevant here:

I've been round and donated to a few this morning as I got paid, which includes Llangollen. The one that seems to have got least that I noticed (only about £5K) was the Wensleydale, so people who are concerned about them might want to donate there.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sorry for the double post (from the Llangollen thread) but it's probably as relevant here:

I've been round and donated to a few this morning as I got paid, which includes Llangollen. The one that seems to have got least that I noticed (only about £5K) was the Wensleydale, so people who are concerned about them might want to donate there.
Fair play to you for doing that. I’ll be doing the same next week even if it’s just a tenner each to a few lines I love, it all helps.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Security yes I agree. But that doesn't need to be a formal track inspection. That is a very different thing which is what I was arguing against.

My railway is shut and therefore the same level of detailed infrastructure inspection is not required. The railway cannot be reopened until the engineers have assessed the line. We will have plenty of warning of potential reopening, ie after the lockdown is ended but social distancing rules are still in force and not only that the locomotive fleet will require statutory inspections. These rules will not jusg vanish overnight without warning. Therefore there is absolutely no need for inspections over and above security purposes (which can be done by anyone rather than trained inspectors), this reduces volunteer requirements and reduces risk by getting people to stay at home as we are told to. Security inspections will identify any major infrastructure failures anyway. The time will come for detailed inspections and work to be undertaken. Until then railway is shut and anyone who can should stay at home.

The owners/guardians of a heritage iine and its assets (i.e. rolling stock, stations etc) will want to ensure that they are safe and not damaged or vandalised. Why shouldn't there be a formal inspection?

With kids at home, likely to be bored, knowing that their local railway line is unused might get some ideas...

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Very sound - those with on line shops , thinking of the Talyllyn for example , would appreciate a purchase. Get your Xmas cards in early ....

YorkshireBear

Established Member
The owners/guardians of a heritage iine and its assets (i.e. rolling stock, stations etc) will want to ensure that they are safe and not damaged or vandalised. Why shouldn't there be a formal inspection?

With kids at home, likely to be bored, knowing that their local railway line is unused might get some ideas...
That's different to a formal engineering inspection of the assets. Vandalism is obvious not detailed. Anyone can do vandalism checks and security and like you say due to oppurtunistic nature of this should be done almost everyday.

But from an engineering perspective the railway is shut and does not need the same level of engineering inspection.

Meerkat

Established Member
Quite a few lines are having issues with trespassers. and they've had an arson attack at the dean forest railway.
I imagine the lines are being used like the golf courses are round here - as another space to wander around

Bessie

Does anyone think preserved railways could be part of phase 3 recovery? ie: from 1 July. It would be very beneficial to capture some summer holiday traffic especially as overseas holidays appear a no-go this summer.

Starmill

Veteran Member
A difficult question but 1 July to me seems way, way too optimistic.

I think there would need to be lots of success with socially distanced reopenings at far more important places first, especially places like schools, dentists, General Practitioners' surgeries, other public services such as libraries, and indoor public spaces.

The preserved lines may also be unwilling or unable to open while adapting the measures used on the mainline.

Titfield

Established Member
I just cant see how a heritage railway could "manage" with say 25% effective capacity.

Advance booking / just turn up
managing the platforms, the boarding process, the disembarking process all keeping social distances.
cleaning the carriages especially touch points, the toilets.

Even if all that could be managed the 25% of normal revenue would probably be unviable.

Harvey B

I'm concerned that no heritage lines will be open at all this year, and if they are then it will probably have to be towards the end of the year (October to December).

Last edited by a moderator:

Titfield

Established Member
Yes but if the weather is poor then no one comes out in October or November.

The coach market is on the precipice and I wnder how many coach hokidays will be running this autumn.

Heritage Railways may be better off focusing their efforts on fund raising (and keeping costs down) than operating at a loss....

Neen Sollars

Corridor stock much disliked by heritage railway managers might come into its own post lockdown? You can social distance in the compartments, close the sliding door but have the ventilation light open inside to have fresh air. Will need the TTI to request passengers remain inside once destination reached so each compartment can exit the train as a group to maintain social distancing. Family groups can be loaded and unloaded in an organised way into compartments, four adults, four kids and the dog, and singles and couples spaced in the open coaches. It can be done relatively easily and efficiently so long as everyone behaves.

Mat17

Looks like suburban non-corridor stock may well prove useful here. I assume the compartments would have to be cleaned once vacated though?

Jonathan1990

On Moderation
Any ideas on when heritage railways will reopen? I can only guess it will be about August this summer and a maximum of around 10 people per carriage allowed. Some may open before others too. Smaller lines such as The Middleton Railway in Leeds might stay closed until next year.

Harvey B

Any ideas on when heritage railways will reopen? I can only guess it will be about August this summer and a maximum of around 10 people per carriage allowed. Some may open before others too. Smaller lines such as The Middleton Railway in Leeds might stay closed until next year.
KWVR won't be opening on the 4th of July which is what I wasn't expecting, however they do have the bridge to replace

reddragon

Established Member
I am sure that most Heritage Railways with have a reopening team, looking to how they can safely reopening the railway after the current 4th July date. The Heritage Railway Association have provided guidance as have the ORR.

I know that my railway is doing this, already starting track, line-side and drainage maintenance works.

Each railway is unique, as will be their opening methods.

Harvey B

I am sure that most Heritage Railways with have a reopening team, looking to how they can safely reopening the railway after the current 4th July date. The Heritage Railway Association have provided guidance as have the ORR.

I know that my railway is doing this, already starting track, line-side and drainage maintenance works.

Each railway is unique, as will be their opening methods.
Ive tried asking NYMR and SVR about when their opening but none of them have responded yet

reddragon

Established Member
The Elsecar Heritage Railway surrendered their lease back to Barnsley Council and walked away mid August according to RAIL 913

adc82140

Established Member
The Mid Hants have got a £250000 lottery grant. Good news.

The Watercress Line is absolutely delighted to announce that it has been awarded a grant of £250,000 by The National Lottery Heritage Fund from their Heritage Emergency Fund, which aimed to help heritage organisations affected by the impact of Covid-19.

The sum awarded is the maximum available under this scheme, and will be used to protect the historic buildings and rolling stock of the railway from the impact of the enforced closure to visitors earlier in the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.