• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could an HST have worked Belfast-Dublin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It's a good design. It's fine. There's probably going to be none left in normal traffic in about a decade. It's an excellent design if you're building in 1975. It's a just about ok design if you're building in 1989. It's an outdated design if you're building in 1993, and really not acceptable design if you were building in 1999. Technology (including crashworthiness) marches on. Mark 3s (and for that matter BR Mark 4s, I've no idea about the IE ones) are pretty ropy as far as roll over strength goes (and eg a Pendolino has demonstrably excellent performance in such situations).

Mark 1s are still in use on preserved lines and on mainline charters, and I'm sure we're all very aware of the problems with those.

The IÉ MkIV are built to UK crash and fire regs - GM/RT2100 for structural strength and crash protection, British Standard 6853 cat 1b for fire protection and even RVAR for accessibility.

Afaik there has only been one major incident with a MkIV and that was during a test run when a set with DVT leading hit a cow at about 60-70mph. The leading buckeye coupler sheared off and damaged several brake disc rotors and pads causing €300k of damage.

Consequently before entering service all DVT leading buckeyes were removed and stored in the guard's van.

In one such situation. That proves nothing and I wish people would stop claiming it did. There are plenty of accidents where Mk3s have survived as well as the Pendolino did at Grayrigg.

Colwich for one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greetlander

January 1993 was when the last XPT power car was delivered.
It's a fair point though that the XPT sets may have demonstrated a form of suitability. The re-gearing and lower power would easily have coped, although I can't imagine it would have been a cheap enough option. And, there is something depressing about XPT sets pootling about the NSW hinterland at 60kmh on 3rd world tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.