• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could we see a return to "essential travel only" messaging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLevel

Established Member
It's not that bad! The officiousness at Sheffield seems to be limited to announcements. Incidentally, Derby was similar for a while (don't know whether it still is - not been there for ages).

Owing to the volume of services the announcements are still controlled locally at Sheffield. All other EMR stations are managed from the East Midlands Rail Operations Centre at Derby.

I wouldn't call them officious but they're definitely Yorkshire - watching the platform staff deal with any misbehaving members of the Saturday Night Crowd in normal circumstances can be entertaining!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LAX54

Established Member
Just been out making a journey to buy something and almost all of the variable message signs on the motorway that weren’t providing incident information were displaying the message

STAY HOME
ESSENTIAL
TRAVEL ONLY

The smaller signs with only two lines were not including the STAY HOME part of the message.

You can see this for yourself on the Highways England traffic map.

That is the same message on the big overhead signs on the A120 towards Colchester, but what could be a more imprtnat message that the A12 is closed for 4 days continuous is not mentioned :) LOL

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Same on my journey out of London earlier this evening.

Traffic levels were marginally down on normal, but not massively so. Bizarrely at 0600 yesterday (Saturday) morning my journey into London by car was quite noticeably *busier* than normal, which I can’t really fathom.

People driving into parts of London for Xmas shopping? Going in early to avoid the rush and be home by mid-morning?

bramling

Veteran Member
How can that be the case when most non essential shops are closed?

That in itself doesn’t seem to be stopping people - from what I’ve been hearing my local B&Q has been packed pretty much constantly these last two weeks.

I think 0600 is a tad early for masses to be driving into London for that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.