• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetheguard

Established Member
Is there anywhere aside from New York City and the Bart system in San Francisco that mandates masks only on local public transport but not on the flights to get to the place, as most countries with a public transport mask mandate also require it to include aviation?

Vienna (but not Austria outside Vienna). We cancelled our trip to the Austrian capital as a result and are flying elsewhere instead.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bikeman78

Established Member
This just shows you what a complete joke these restrictions are.

What benefit is there putting on a mask upon touchdown at JFK airport if, the minute you have gone thorugh border control and picked up your luggage, you are able to take it off again?
No more ridiculous than wearing a mask to go to the toilet in the pub which was the case here for months. Looking back it seems too absurd to be true.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Why are people even considering travelling to countries where there is a risk of having to wear masks?
Because travel is great - and wearing a mask is very annoying but not a big enough reason to avoid visiting somewhere wonderful.

Yes I agree about the masks. Crazy how Holland still ban unvaccinated and not even allowed to test. I use to think they were a forward thinking country.
Yes it’s been a bit strange seeing everyone’s very romanticised views of many European countries hit the wall.

Europe is authoritarian and rules-heavy about personal freedom for the most part; England and the Nordic social democracies much less so by instinct. People forget that most of the EU’s countries have a recent history involving dictatorship or authoritarian government and that England has long been outside this cultural sphere.

nlogax

Established Member
This just shows you what a complete joke these restrictions are.

What benefit is there putting on a mask upon touchdown at JFK airport if, the minute you have gone thorugh border control and picked up your luggage, you are able to take it off again?

In my experience over the last couple of weeks mask usage at JFK has not been enforced at arrivals. This includes the passport lines where you'd half expect it to be vaguely policed.

nedchester

Established Member
In my experience over the last couple of weeks mask usage at JFK has not been enforced at arrivals. This includes the passport lines where you'd half expect it to be vaguely policed.
I'd agree with that. Whilst queuing for the passport the wearing of masks was at best variable (but we did at first comply as we didn't want to create a scene when trying to enter a country!)

A few days later we flew from JFK to SFO and mask wearing in the domestic area was about 25% and the flight itself about 5%.

jumble

I would, and have done, as there are plenty of places both at home and abroad I would like to go that are mask-free.

Is there anywhere aside from New York City and the Bart system in San Francisco that mandates masks only on local public transport but not on the flights to get to the place, as most countries with a public transport mask mandate also require it to include aviation?
If the situation is anything like Canada was in early June we travelled from Niagara to Toronto on a Go train where Masks were mandated
There were about 1000 people on that train and almost no one was masked so I would not worry
I have also attached a photo of the Covid screen between the seats which qualifies as the most vestigial safety feature I have ever seen

2022_06_04_20_21_IMG_1871.JPG2022_06_04_19_54_IMG_1870.JPG

duncanp

Established Member
If the situation is anything like Canada was in early June we travelled from Niagara to Toronto on a Go train where Masks were mandated
There were about 1000 people on that train and almost no one was masked so I would not worry
I have also attached a photo of the Covid screen between the seats which qualifies as the most vestigial safety feature I have ever seen

View attachment 119120View attachment 119121

Funny how the French version doesn't have a translation for "...lets keep each other safe...".

So the Quebecois don't have to worry about measures to protect other people, and the COVID virus knows not to infect French speakers. :D:D

Cdd89

Established Member
Totally unrelated to Covid, but I’ve always thought seats should actually have these by default. Eliminates people occupying more than their share of the armrest or overflowing into your seat.

Hans

Isn't part of the enjoyment of travel, especially if travelling alone, to converse with fellow passengers? A piece of flimsy plastic between is not conducive to communication and most certainly does not stop any "deadly" virus!

greyman42

Established Member
Isn't part of the enjoyment of travel, especially if travelling alone, to converse with fellow passengers? A piece of flimsy plastic between is not conducive to communication and most certainly does not stop any "deadly" virus!
I agree with you but some people are not very social and wearing masks fits right into their lifestyle. The trouble is that they try to force them on everyone else.

Hans

You are right, I have found though that when those masked see me sitting without a mask they tend to sit somewhere else so they can enjoy their lifestyle without bothering me. It is the forcing everyone else to do as they do which is the salient point, the good thing now is at least they are in the minority.

westv

Established Member
Totally unrelated to Covid, but I’ve always thought seats should actually have these by default. Eliminates people occupying more than their share of the armrest or overflowing into your seat.
those screens don't prevent man spread though.

Citybreak1

Went to Belgium (Brussels) very good. Very few masks of any, busy subway very few sanitize for stations no arrows in supermarkets and no vaccine passport. Feels a busy normal city unlike UK where people still mask up move away from you on trains. Plan to visit France fear that may be more like UK.

johnnychips

Established Member
Hi, has anybody been to Spain recently? I have my vaccination pass download, but do I have to fill in a form before I go? And what is the mask situation? Somebody told me you still require them on public transport but nowhere else.

Thanks for your replies in anticipation. I know I can visit gov.uk for info, but I wondered if anybody had any recent experiences.

Thanks, John

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Hi, has anybody been to Spain recently? I have my vaccination pass download, but do I have to fill in a form before I go? And what is the mask situation? Somebody told me you still require them on public transport but nowhere else.

Thanks for your replies in anticipation. I know I can visit gov.uk for info, but I wondered if anybody had any recent experiences.

Thanks, John
If you arrive from France or Portugal by land there are no covid formalities. Unfortunately mask wearing is still compulsory on public transport (and followed by 95% of passengers).

Richard Scott

Established Member

Thanks, John
Have just been, entered by ferry from Morocco and needed nothing other than passport. As already said masks still needed on public transport but no particular type specified. Compliance is generally high although noted local trains around Barcelona compliance was very low.

Class 33

Established Member
Went to Belgium (Brussels) very good. Very few masks of any, busy subway very few sanitize for stations no arrows in supermarkets and no vaccine passport. Feels a busy normal city unlike UK where people still mask up move away from you on trains. Plan to visit France fear that may be more like UK.

I'm baffled by what you're saying about the UK. The vast majority of people have long ditched wearing masks now! Only a tiny percent - probably no more than about 2% of the population are still wearing those stupid pointless things! And anyone still keeping up that "socially distancing" charade is incredibly incredibly rare!

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Arrived in Greece. No masks at all in Rhodes Airport and on the coach transfer journey to hotel, both by staff and passangers

Richard Scott

Established Member
Not experienced many masking or moving in UK, almost no-one is doing that. France is virtually mask free also, didn't see anyone wearing one when I was there recently.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Despite masks being "mandatory" on the New York subway, hardly anyone was wearing one when I travelled on it the other day.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Where have you experienced people wearing masks on trains in the UK. One or two perhaps but it’s certainly not widespread.

As for people moving away from you on trains I’ve absolutely not seen this.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Masks still required on all Singapore Airlines flights via Singapore, and in the airport at Changi.

I'd say a low but steady minority (5%) of mainly elderly people in GB supermarkets are still wearing masks.
My dental surgery has reinforced its requirement to wear masks except while actually being treated.
There are still people who feel uncomfortable with the crowding in tourist resorts and places like motorway service stations.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm baffled by what you're saying about the UK. The vast majority of people have long ditched wearing masks now! Only a tiny percent - probably no more than about 2% of the population are still wearing those stupid pointless things! And anyone still keeping up that "socially distancing" charade is incredibly incredibly rare!
Agreed, it is an absolutely tiny proportion. If anyone who is masked moves away from other passengers, this must surely be a very rare event and very much a one-off oddball..
There are still people who feel uncomfortable with the crowding in tourist resorts and places like motorway service stations.
This must be a very small proportion of people. Almost everyone seems to be back to normal.

adc82140

Established Member
Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but as of 1st August, no vaccine certificate or any other form of paperwork has been required to enter France.

Citybreak1

I’m in Scotland mask wearing is much higher. I work in retail and 30% of our customers wear masks. When I was in London much less masks.

westv

Established Member
Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but as of 1st August, no vaccine certificate or any other form of paperwork has been required to enter France.
Come on Spain, pull your finger out!

I’m in Scotland mask wearing is much higher. I work in retail and 30% of our customers wear masks. When I was in London much less masks.
Here in Hull I'd say less than 1%.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That's interesting. I visited some large shops in Scotland (Greater Glasgow area) in July for work purposes. There didn't appear to me to be any more mask wearing compared to what I'm used to in London.

Chatting to staff most seemed pretty envious of the fact that England had adopted a more relaxed approach throughout the pandemic, compared to Scotland.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
What makes you think that?
Well I for one will stay away from crowds if at all possible - sometimes it isn't.
We also have family members who had Covid recently (requiring isolation), and don't feel comfortable in crowds.
It might look "normal", but it isn't really.

Status
Not open for further replies.