• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Well I for one will stay away from crowds if at all possible - sometimes it isn't.
We also have family members who had Covid recently (requiring isolation), and don't feel comfortable in crowds.
It might look "normal", but it isn't really.
It is normal, you may feel uncomfortable but almost everyone else doesn't. Why did having the virus require isolation? If you mean you felt ill so stayed at home/in bed that's usual for many illnesses.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nedchester

Established Member
It is normal, you may feel uncomfortable but almost everyone else doesn't. Why did having the virus require isolation? If you mean you felt ill so stayed at home/in bed that's usual for many illnesses.
I had Covid recently and generally carried on as normal. If I felt unwell (which I did off and on) I relaxed until I felt better. Just like pre-2020

In fact the day after I tested positive I was chasing the 37418 + Caroline when it was up and down the Wirral!

Established Member
I had Covid recently and generally carried on as normal. If I felt unwell (which I did off and on) I relaxed until I felt better. Just like pre-2020

In fact the day after I tested positive I was chasing the 37418 + Caroline when it was up and down the Wirral!

It sounds like you decided to simply get on with things.

What puts it into perspective for me is the number of people I know who’ve had it over recent months whose symptoms have ranged from mild cold-like illness, right through to a couple who only knew they had it at all because they’d tested for other reasons. Basically they’ve all been able to get on with life and function normally even when “ill” with Covid. Not all are particularly young and healthy by any means and not all are vaccinated!

And this is the illness the supposedly moderate and enlightened western world has wrecked its economy and seriously threatened its citizens’ way of life over…

Last edited:

nedchester

Established Member
It sounds like you decided to simply get on with things.

What puts it into perspective for me is the number of people I know who’ve had it over recent months whose symptoms have ranged from mild cold-like illness, right through to a couple who only knew they had it at all because they’d tested for other reasons. Basically they’ve all been able to get on with life and function normally even when “ill” with Covid. Not all are particularly young and healthy by any means and not all are vaccinated!

And this is the illness the supposedly moderate and enlightened western world has wrecked its economy and seriously threatened its citizens’ way of life over…
I do think the vaccine has changed things massively so that it is now a mild illness.

Must admit I did push things a little. Had a few beers with friends about a week after the positive test and it literally finished me off (and No I didn’t have a lot to drink!)

As I say do what you did when you were ill prior to 2020 which is the best way to deal with whilst accepting the recovery time can be longer than you think!

danm14

I’m in Scotland mask wearing is much higher. I work in retail and 30% of our customers wear masks
I visited Glasgow in late April, just five days after the legal requirement to wear one ended, and mask wearing rates were already extremely low in all settings I encountered - not as low as London, but not anywhere even approaching 30%, perhaps 10-15% at a push - and certainly lower than Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland where the legal requirements had already been lifted since mid-February and late February respectively.

Two weeks later I travelled by Rail and Sail from Belfast to London, and found that mask wearing rates had dropped considerably in two weeks - indeed I found rates on the Ayr-Glasgow and Glasgow-London trains as well as at Ayr and Glasgow Central stations to be only very minimally higher than London.

Bungle73

On Moderation
My experience of train travel in the UK is that as soon as the legal requirement to wear masks was dropped (both times) most people stopped wearing one.....even the staff. I see very few wearing one these days.

I visited Scotland (Edinburgh) in May and I can't say that any kind of mass mask use stuck in my mind. I did a couple of walking tours. On one of them nothing was said about masks, until the second half when the tour went inside and we were told we could wear one if we liked but didn't have to, and no one did. And the second tour a few days later (that also went inside) I don't think masks were mentioned at all, despite their website going on about them.

I mentioned it before in another thread, the hotel lift area and lifts had signs demanding mask use, but again no one wore one, even the hotel staff.

Richard Scott

Established Member
My experience of train travel in the UK is that as soon as the legal requirement to wear masks was dropped (both times) most people stopped wearing one.....even the staff. I see very few wearing one these days.

I visited Scotland (Edinburgh) in May and I can't say that any kind of mass mask use stuck in my mind. I did a couple of walking tours. On one of them nothing was said about masks, until the second half when the tour went inside and we were told we could wear one if we liked but didn't have to, and no one did. And the second tour a few days later (that also went inside) I don't think masks were mentioned at all, despite their website going on about them.

I mentioned it before in another thread, the hotel lift area and lifts had signs demanding mask use, but again no one wore one, even the hotel staff.
Think this is typical of all countries I've visited. As soon as requirement dropped only a few wear them.

johnnychips

Established Member
Have just been, entered by ferry from Morocco and needed nothing other than passport. As already said masks still needed on public transport but no particular type specified. Compliance is generally high although noted local trains around Barcelona compliance was very low.
Hi, I arrived at Girona Airport and had to show my vaccine pass. As you note, the compliance on masks on local trains and the Metro in Barcelona is between 20% and 50%, presumably as these are DOO (driver operated only). Many are worn below the nose. Looking at buses, almost everyone is wearing a mask, worn correctly, as you have to pass the driver. Not been on a longer distance train yet, will report when I do.

No masks worn on tour buses as these are open-top.

Last edited:

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Hardly anyone here in Rhodes (Greece) is wearing a mask, even on public transport where according to gov.uk they are still legally required.

johnnychips

Established Member
I’ve just been watching the Spanish equivalent of the BBC 24 hour service, and the big concerns are forest fires, some internal politics I don’t understand, and something about Air Europa I didn’t understand either. All bar one of the numerous politicians and newsreaders didn’t wear a mask.

Not one mention of COVID.

So I really can’t understand this farce of continuing masks on public transport.

Butts

Veteran Member
I’ve just been watching the Spanish equivalent of the BBC 24 hour service, and the big concerns are forest fires, some internal politics I don’t understand, and something about Air Europa I didn’t understand either. All bar one of the numerous politicians and newsreaders didn’t wear a mask.

Not one mention of COVID.

So I really can’t understand this farce of continuing masks on public transport.

Talking of Spain I was at Edinburgh Airport yesterday awaiting a Flight to Dublin when an Easyjet one to Tenerife was being called.

They were at pains to point out masks must be worn and would not be provided.

Cue sales bonanza at adjacent retail outlets.

Time the Spanish rebelled :?:

westv

Established Member
Talking of Spain I was at Edinburgh Airport yesterday awaiting a Flight to Dublin when an Easyjet one to Tenerife was being called.

They were at pains to point out masks must be worn and would not be provided.

Cue sales bonanza at adjacent retail outlets.

Time the Spanish rebelled :?:
Whereas Jet2 have no mask requirements on their flights to Spain.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Having visited Latvia in February when it was at the height of covid bureaucracy (masks compulsory, vaccine passport required to enter literally anywhere) I can report that there's barely any sign that there was even a pandemic at all.

I haven't counted a single piece of remaining signage anywhere, other than the odd one lingering at the airport.

It's good to experience the country with everything back in business, as to be honest it was really quite depressing back in the winter.

ivorytoast28

I'm currently on a regional train in Germany and have just been told to put on a mask... While eating... Not sure how that's supposed to work.
Not to mention I'm in first class on my own (glass divider before the 2nd class segments).

The whole thing is honestly absurd, i wouldn't even mind if they were consistent but everyone wears them on trains but then steps off into crowded shops/restaurants etc etc without

Apparently covid only likes trains

Razorblades

I'm currently on a regional train in Germany and have just been told to put on a mask... While eating... Not sure how that's supposed to work.
Not to mention I'm in first class on my own (glass divider before the 2nd class segments).

The whole thing is honestly absurd, i wouldn't even mind if they were consistent but everyone wears them on trains but then steps off into crowded shops/restaurants etc etc without

Lunacy. We should point at the rulemakers and laugh. The emperor is wearing no clothes. Why are the Germans tolerating this, have they all gone insane?

Eyersey468

Established Member

That's just lunacy

Hans

Interesting comment about German trains - just another perspective, wife and I have both had trips to Germany over the last couple of months and travelled on many German trains, mainly ICE in first class. Neither of us wore a mask at any point and were never challenged. As with all these restrictions, I expect it depends on the people and staff involved.

The longest journey I did, there were plenty of mostly men (including me!) drinking beer whilst using laptops. When tickets were checked, or DB staff came through the conversation from the staff was more "you must be near to getting another beer" than "wear a mask".

johnnychips

Established Member
There has just been a piece on the local Barcelona news pointing out the lack of mask wearing on trains and the Metro. Couldn’t tell the ‘tone’ of it as it was in Catalan. Even the burly security guards on trains have only told people to put them on one in four times.

Richard Scott

Established Member
There has just been a piece on the local Barcelona news pointing out the lack of mask wearing on trains and the Metro. Couldn’t tell the ‘tone’ of it as it was in Catalan. Even the burly security guards on trains have only told people to put them on one in four times.
Definitely very low compliance when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

Cdd89

Established Member
The German chancellor has courted controversy by travelling maskless despite the mask mandate extension:

This month the German government extended its mask mandate for travel through April 2023. But this week German Chancellor Olaf Scholz flew to Canada and went maskless. The government response? His plane was exempt because it was operated by the German Air Force.

[M]ore than 80 passengers were accompanying Scholz and Economy and Climate Minister Robert Habeck, who was photographed talking to journalists while unmasked on their flight to Montreal.

Masks for thee, but not for me. To be sure they’re German and can read the rules literally, they didn’t impose the mask mandate on themselves so didn’t violate the mandate. Or so they say: “Germany’s Infection Protection Act does not specifically mention such an exemption.”

Seems very hypocritical.

morrisobrien

Interesting comment about German trains - just another perspective, wife and I have both had trips to Germany over the last couple of months and travelled on many German trains, mainly ICE in first class. Neither of us wore a mask at any point and were never challenged. As with all these restrictions, I expect it depends on the people and staff involved.
You were very, very lucky.Believe me.

Status
Not open for further replies.