• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LAX54

Established Member
Not really. All of the leaks to the press said that they were considering it to begin late July/ August and there were many things that needed to be ironed out.
e.g. Do you accept foreign vaccinations and how do you prove it? Paper certificates can easily be forged.
The digital one on the NHS app looks ok though :)

TravelDream

So Greece and Spain appear to have said no to quarantining Brits against Merkel's wishes.
Malta moved to fully vaccinated only.
Portugal has said they are considering it, but the PM's quote leans towards them having some sort of quarantine.

That means, looking at both the UK and destination country requirements, it's only really the Balearics which are easily available to all, with Malta available for the fully vaccinated. That's for now though. Things change quickly with Covid.

The digital one on the NHS app looks ok though :)

In Wales we don't have an app. The NHS sends people a certificate to prove vaccination status if they request one.

In Northern Ireland, they have no app and no paper certificate. The government there says they are still planning on what to do to prove vaccination status.

Then will the UK accept the EU passport scheme app? Will the EU give access to their database for the UK to check vaccination status? If not, I am sure people will start forging that app.

It's not at simple as it seems.

Butts

Veteran Member
So Greece and Spain appear to have said no to quarantining Brits against Merkel's wishes.
Malta moved to fully vaccinated only.
Portugal has said they are considering it, but the PM's quote leans towards them having some sort of quarantine.

That means, looking at both the UK and destination country requirements, it's only really the Balearics which are easily available to all, with Malta available for the fully vaccinated. That's for now though. Things change quickly with Covid.

In Wales we don't have an app. The NHS sends people a certificate to prove vaccination status if they request one.

In Northern Ireland, they have no app and no paper certificate. The government there says they are still planning on what to do to prove vaccination status.

Then will the UK accept the EU passport scheme app? Will the EU give access to their database for the UK to check vaccination status? If not, I am sure people will start forging that app.

It's not at simple as it seems.

I live in Scotland and I've got a Paper Certificate from NHS Scotland.

TravelDream

How does it work for Malta for families with children?

Everyone 12+ needs to be fully vaccinated.
5-11 year olds can travel if they have a negative PCR test result and travel with vaccinated parents.
Under 5s can travel with vaccinated parents with no additional requirements.

Obviously we don't vaccinate kids that young, but they are Malta's rules.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Not abroad abroad.........

But I hear The Isle of Man is opening up to vaccinated travellers soon.

Can anyone confirm ?

westv

Established Member
Everyone 12+ needs to be fully vaccinated.
5-12 year olds can travel if they have a negative PCR test result and travel with vaccinated parents.
Under 5s can travel with vaccinated parents with no additional requirements.

Obviously we don't vaccinate kids that young, but they are Malta's rules.
I'm guessing that will exclude a large number of British families with children +12 then. Best if they leave them behind then. :D

Ianno87

Veteran Member
.... presumably in anticipation of a victory, as per the German national anthem "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles".

Those specific lyrics were dropped from the official anthem after WW2.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
You know there are lots of Brits who still think it's 1945. They haven't quite got over 'the war'.
A war they were never in and maybe would have been so cocky about it had they had been. They ma6 have also realised if they knew anything about it that the English far from won it.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
It's still the unofficial name of the German national anthem and the title sums up the way the Germans view Europe.
What utter tosh. Why would they ban those words and then have them in the title?

When the title is “Song of Germany”

This says a lot about you

dm1

It's still the unofficial name of the German national anthem and the title sums up the way the Germans view Europe.
I think that statement says more about you than it does about the Germans.

I've yet to meet a German who views Europe in the way you're suggesting.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can we stay on topic here please. I’m not quite sure where we’re going with the national anthem discussion... :)

johnnychips

Established Member

is a thread I’ve created about national anthems, following from the above.

TravelDream

Back on where we can go.

Portugal has announced a compulsory 14 day quarantine for people coming from Britain unless they are fully vaccinated.

They seem to have announced it fairly late this evening and it took effect from midnight.

Butts

Veteran Member
Back on where we can go.

Portugal has announced a compulsory 14 day quarantine for people coming from Britain unless they are fully vaccinated.

They seem to have announced it fairly late this evening and it took effect from midnight.

If you are vaccinated do you have to take a test on entry ?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Hong Kong bans travellers from UK as we deemed to be extremely high risk.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...dding-uk-to-extremely-high-risk-list-12343896

Boris needs to seriously look in the mirror and question how he's made Britain a pariah of the world now with his inept failure not to minimise the spread of the Delta variant to our shores. Yes we would have never has stopped it but we could have moderated its growth rate and given the vaccination programme a better chance.

kristiang85

Established Member

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...dding-uk-to-extremely-high-risk-list-12343896

Boris needs to seriously look in the mirror and question how he's made Britain a pariah of the world now with his inept failure not to minimise the spread of the Delta variant to our shores. Yes we would have never has stopped it but we could have moderated its growth rate and given the vaccination programme a better chance.

No evidence has shown that it is worse than anything else COVID has thrown at us; if we weren't obsessively sequencing this thing, we'd not even know it was a variant. If anything its making the illness milder. Even India barely registered a blip with it, if you look at the population as a whole and not all the scary graphs and footage the media showed us.

Jonny

Established Member

I think that is Hong Kong being awkward, for the sake of it.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
No evidence has shown that it is worse than anything else COVID has thrown at us; if we weren't obsessively sequencing this thing, we'd not even know it was a variant. If anything its making the illness milder. Even India barely registered a blip with it, if you look at the population as a whole and not all the scary graphs and footage the media showed us.
Indeed funny how media doesn't tell us that India has a far lower case rate than ours now which appears to prove the thesis that its milder. Also they have effectively let it wash through the population as they don't have the choices we have over lockdowns and dealt with its worst effects in a matter of weeks as a result. Given our governments approach, which i don't agree with, was that variants were a key threat then they should have taken action to avoid that threat but they didn't for political reasons. Result is our brilliant vaccination programme has now become worthless as a passport to overseas travel. Perhaps thats what the govt wanted all along keep us in old brightly and drive the nationalistic line.

Butts

Veteran Member

Is Boris personally responsible then ?

Which bit of advice from whom did he ignore ?

A lot of Countries seem to be reacting like headless chickens, what threat do fully vaccinated Brits pose to Hong Kongers ?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

A lot of Countries seem to be reacting like headless chickens, what threat do fully vaccinated Brits pose to Hong Kongers ?
Yes he is.

Don't listen to me the chair of NERVTAG Sir Peter Horby has made it quite clear that

The spread of the Delta variant in the UK could have been curbed by stronger border measures, the chairman of Nervtag has said.

Professor Sir Peter Horby told the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show that modelling of the Delta variant suggests a more transmissible strain than the Alpha, or Kent, variant and that it will be difficult to control. He believes we will soon see it spreading across Europe.

Asked if the Delta variant’s spread in the UK was due to not having strong enough border measures earlier, Prof Horby said: “It’s clear that the Delta variant started to transmit within the UK because of introductions from other countries.

“So I think there is a case to be said that that did happen and stronger border measures may have delayed that, may even have prevented it.
From Marr on Sunday yesterday.

Yes you could say some countries are over reacting but i would suggest that they've looked at Britain being well on top of Covid a few months ago with envy and then watched us inflict an own goal on this success and saying we aint going to make the same mistake.

Bantamzen

Established Member

No more than their own citizens. This situation is becoming increasingly more concerning, not the variant, but the growing xenophobia spreading way quicker than delta (plus or not). Countries look at others and instantly assume that their citizens will constitute a threat to their own, just as some people did with the people of India when delta was first identified. And yet as has been shown in countries like Australia, the blumming thing will get through regardless of them "shutting" their borders. Nature does not recognise the lines we draw in the sand.

I said it a few weeks ago, shutting the door on India earlier would not have stopped it getting here. India is a huge country, often difficult to get around & so slamming the borders closed to them would only have driven similar scenes as seen in Bangladesh over the weekend. UK citizens in India would have bolted via all sorts of routes back home, only in smaller timescales which would have seen a lot arriving at once at the few terminals that receive flights from there, resulting in more chaos in immigration halls & quarantine hotels.

The other thing that concerns me is the global effective downplaying of the vaccines, constantly prohibiting people vaccinated from normal life, travel etc sends a message to the billions yet to have it that their governments might similarly restrict their lives post vaccination, and this could convince people not to bother, especially those in low risk groups. This is what happens when governments flip-flop between policy & panic.

kristiang85

Established Member
Indeed funny how media doesn't tell us that India has a far lower case rate than ours now which appears to prove the thesis that its milder. Also they have effectively let it wash through the population as they don't have the choices we have over lockdowns and dealt with its worst effects in a matter of weeks as a result. Given our governments approach, which i don't agree with, was that variants were a key threat then they should have taken action to avoid that threat but they didn't for political reasons. Result is our brilliant vaccination programme has now become worthless as a passport to overseas travel. Perhaps thats what the govt wanted all along keep us in old brightly and drive the nationalistic line.
Yes I fully agree. Especially on the bolded bit - we could have had such an advantage, especially given we are traditionally a geographic hub and were starting to lose the status pre-COVID, but it has been squandered.

I've never felt so far from being part of 'global Britain' in my lifetime.

TravelDream

New entry restrictions for Brits travelling to Spain from Friday.

Starting on Friday, Spain will demand a negative PCR test or proof of full vaccination from UK travelers, due to concerns over the delta variant of the coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.