• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions to end on 19th July

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad465

Established Member
I've managed to get into some establishments without using the NHS app where the QR code for it is on display at the front, with the odd place needing contact details but otherwise no issue. If there are places that say you need to prove one's vaccine status I'll try and make clear to them I won't visit, even as someone who's (at the moment one dose but 2 by early early August) vaccinated, especially if non-passport places exist nearby.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well, taking a charitable view of the announcement today:

- A gradual return to the office is still a return
- Being "expected" to wear a face covering in crowded indoor places suggests that we will no longer be required to wear them on quiet trains and open platforms etc.
- Guidence for the extremely clinically vulnerable is necessary.

On the down side this review going into autumn could be a problem. The lockdown fanatics need to be nipped in the bud here.

DustyBin

Established Member
Unfortunately I see no reason to be optimistic about that. I've thought (and said) all along that this has been the purpose of much of what has happened over the past year or so. The fact that the idea keeps on being resurrected and slowly creeps along does nohing to persuade me that I've been wrong about that.

A 'papers please' society - whatever the nature of the papers - is not 'freedom'.

I completely agree with you, some people may think it’s a little “conspiracy theory” but I don’t. When the first lockdown was imposed the government realised they could do things they previously thought they couldn’t, and this is the result. A “papers please” or high surveillance society suits them down to the ground, and they now know the population will accept it in the name of “staying safe”.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
Domestic vaccine passports I believe are there to get young people to get the jab, personally I’m not buying it once 2022 rolls around it’ll be quietly dropped the same way track and trace has been dropped in most places, it’s only really hard locktavists that want them because they’re clearly in favour of a two tiered system so they can feel better than others

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Well, taking a charitable view of the announcement today:

- A gradual return to the office is still a return
- Being "expected" to wear a face covering in crowded indoor places suggests that we will no longer be required to wear them on quiet trains and open platforms etc.
- Guidence for the extremely clinically vulnerable is necessary.

On the down side this review going into autumn could be a problem. The lockdown fanatics need to be nipped in the bud here.
As far as I am concerned, advisory means no such thing.
I’m exempt but as soon as I am not required to wear them, that’s it. The sunflower lanyard goes in the attic, hopefully never to be re-used. I’m sick to the back teeth of all this virtue-signalling nonsense and I feel a tiny part of my humanity dies every time I see a young child who has been masked-up by their parents. ENOUGH!
No shop that requires masks will get my custom, even if they accept exemptions.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That YouGov poll saying 71%(or was it 77%?) of voters want mandatory face mask rules to remain, I don't believe that is atall representative of what the country think. We'll see come 19th July. I think no way will there be anywhere near 70 odd percent of people still wearing these ridiculous pieces of cloth!
It is of course all the more interesting because, despite the bubble we are in on this forum, the majority of the population do not use Public transport whatsoever in the average week. It would be interesting to know how many of that 71% ever travel by Public transport.

MikeWM

Established Member
Domestic vaccine passports I believe are there to get young people to get the jab,

That assumes that the argument is that way around. If you invert the argument - 'getting young people to get the jab is to introduce domestic vaccine passports' then unfortunately things make rather more sense.

Indeed, if you view the events of the last 12 months or so (once the 'first wave' was over) as a mechanism of nudging us into a Chinese-style social credit system, then a lot of things that have happened make a lot more sense than they do otherwise.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There is already no requirement to wear a face covering on an open platform, even on part of a platform that is covered by a canopy but which has less than half of the sides enclosed, there is no requirement to wear.

brad465

Established Member
There is a separate BBC article on the covid passport advice, but in a reassuring way for now, the Nightime Industries' Association is opposed to them, and given (for now) this is only advice, anyone opposed will by default not implement them (in bold in the quoted text):

Nightclubs and other large event organisers are being advised they should ask for proof that people have had their jabs.

Confirming that most Covid rules in England will be lifted on 19 July, Health Secretary Sajid Javid encouraged event organisers to require attendees to show so-called vaccine passports.

They show a person has natural immunity after contracting Covid, that they are double-jabbed or tested negative.

They are available through the NHS app.

However, the government's guidance is not mandatory meaning organisers would not be legally required to follow it.

It has been opposed by bar and club owners.

Michael Kill, who runs the Night Time Industries Association, said: "We have consistently opposed the use of Covid passports for access to industry events and venues, logistically it presents many issues, supported by the recent Covid status certificate report administered by government, steering us clear from the use of this method to mitigate risk."

yorksrob

Veteran Member
As far as I am concerned, advisory means no such thing.
I’m exempt but as soon as I am not required to wear them, that’s it. The sunflower lanyard goes in the attic, hopefully never to be re-used. I’m sick to the back teeth of all this virtue-signalling nonsense and I feel a tiny part of my humanity dies every time I see a young child who has been masked-up by their parents. ENOUGH!
No shop that requires masks will get my custom, even if they accept exemptions.

I must admit, with a combination of the damp humid weather and the damp humid cloth, I'm beginning to feel the ill effects of wearing it generally. I can't envisage myself wearing the thing much after it ceases to become compulsory.

There is already no requirement to wear a face covering on an open platform, even on part of a platform that is covered by a canopy but which has less than half of the sides enclosed, there is no requirement to wear.

That's as maybe, but try telling it to the likes of Northern Rail and TPE. I've heard announcements warning me that I "must" wear a face covering on the train and in the station in such bustling transport hubs as Glazebrook and Kirkby Stephen (Duly ignored of course, but it grates to have it barked at one).

NorthKent1989

Established Member
There is a separate BBC article on the covid passport advice, but in a reassuring way for now, the Nightime Industries' Association is opposed to them, and given (for now) this is only advice, anyone opposed will by default not implement them (in bold in the quoted text):

vaccine passports for a respiratory illness with a 99% survival rate is irrational and authoritarian, makes one wonder if the tin foil hat brigade weren’t on the nail all along…

I think such measures will be dropped and venues won’t bother enforcing it.

dave87016

Established Member
Well I disagree with Boris freedom day approach , his indication that they would impose lockdown and/or restrictions is totally wrong on so many levels

By winter almost all adults will have had 2 jabs and possibly a booster what more can we do to get to complete normal ?

And to impose lockdown /restrictions would put many businesses to the wall and creates a huge degree of uncertainty some businesses may think why open when in weeks or months we could be forced to close again ?

We need to learn to live with Covid now something that Boris seems to have omitted today so far

And what happened to scrapping the idea of Covid passports ? He seems to have hinted the idea back into play

And finally his failure to say what level it will take to make NHS at breaking point is beyond belief is essence he has opened things up but has hinted that he can impose lockdown and or restrictions as soon as he deems necessary so it’s hardly freedom it just feels like today he’s pleasing those who want to get back to normal and next week or next month he will probably please those who want to carry on with restrictions which is what he has done throughout the pandemic it’s hardly a plan that enables or encourages us to live with Covid

Last edited:

MikeWM

Established Member
Also, somewhat lost in the noise about all this stuff, is the fact that tomorrow the House of Commons will be voting on whether to make vaccination compulsory for all those working in care homes - whether directly or incidentally (eg. it also covers someone coming in to change the lightbulbs, or to cut hair, or to perform entertainment for the residents). Inevitably they will pass it (though it will be interesting to see who opposes).

Another thin edge of a very troubling wedge. I seriously doubt that will end with care home staff.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's absolutely disgusting that they're considering bringing in restrictions in winter.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
It's absolutely disgusting that they're considering bringing in restrictions in winter.

I hope few comply, we’ve had sport events and hypocritical MP’s breaking their own rules, enough is enough.

What people need to relearn is that people die everyday, it’s sad but a fact nonetheless, doesn’t mean we have to keep giving up our lives for a what is becoming a minor respiratory virus.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Whitty pretty positive on the data and vaccine efficacy and acknowledges there will be increase in cases, hospitalisations and deaths but expects on current trends its manageable.

Weird messaging all restrictions are lifted but we need to go slowly and cautiously - umm that puts it on our shoulders if it all goes wrong.

MikeWM

Established Member
'Official' updated advice has been published.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-how-to-stay-safe-and-help-prevent-the-spread

Here's the fun bit (bold mine)
encouraging and supporting businesses and large events to use the NHS COVID Pass in high risk settings. The Government will work with organisations where people are likely to be in close proximity to others outside their household to encourage the use of this. If sufficient measures are not taken to limit infection, the Government will consider mandating certification in certain venues at a later date.

'we didn't want to have to do it, but you made us' :rolleyes:

NorthKent1989

Established Member

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Well I disagree with Boris freedom day approach , his indication that they would impose lockdown and/or restrictions is totally wrong on so many levels

By winter almost all adults will have had 2 jabs and possibly a booster what more can we do to get to complete normal ?

And to impose lockdown /restrictions would put many businesses to the wall and creates a huge degree of uncertainty some businesses may think why open when in weeks or months we could be forced to close again ?

We need to learn to live with Covid now something that Boris seems to have omitted today so far

And what happened to scrapping the idea of Covid passports ? He seems to have hinted the idea back into play

And finally his failure to say what level it will take to make NHS at breaking point is beyond belief is essence he has opened things up but has hinted that he can impose lockdown and or restrictions as soon as he deems necessary so it’s hardly freedom it just feels like today he’s pleasing those who want to get back to normal and next week or next month he will probably please those who want to carry on with restrictions which is what he has done throughout the pandemic it’s hardly a plan that enables or encourages us to live with Covid
The clue was extending the Coronavirus Act by six months, to September 2021. Basically, we can have any level of restrictions reimposed, at any time, without any debate

trebor79

Established Member
I think the language around masks is just inviting vigilantism. I'll be bare faced in shops and trains from 19th but I fear for the less confident and less well-built (I'm not a fighter or particularly tough, but many times in my life some drunk or psycho person has started squaring up before obviously having second thoughts).

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
The fact is many wise bodies and people don't accept stage 4 should be going ahead so the fact they've pushed on with it, despite that, tells me this language is playing to the doves to keep them in check otherwise he risks much more pressure being bought to bare from not just politicians.

westv

Established Member
The news conference suggested that double vaccine reduces onwards infection by about 50%.
Anybody dare to say how that compares to masks?

Status
Not open for further replies.