• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
One of the oddest review decisions I’ve seen in a long time from England and also Bairstow getting himself out was rather unusual.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
But before that, not for 20 years or something?

On the BBC I think it was 1999 the last time they had the rights to broadcast cricket live. Last year's World Cup final (broadcast on Channel 4 as well as Sky) was perhaps slightly more momentous as it was the first time since 2005 that live cricket had been on free to air in the UK.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Are cricket writers and commentators missing the elephant in the room? Maybe the real reason why Australia collapsed so dramatically in the 2nd ODI at Old Trafford yesterday was having to bat at night. Had this been a red ball game, they would have been scurrying off for bad light between 6 and 7 pm.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Are cricket writers and commentators missing the elephant in the room? Maybe the real reason why Australia collapsed so dramatically in the 2nd ODI at Old Trafford yesterday was having to bat at night. Had this been a red ball game, they would have been scurrying off for bad light between 6 and 7 pm.

Umm, it’s called a Day / Night game, they have been played for decades, particularly in Australia.

Howardh

Established Member
If batting second in a day/nighter is an issue, could it be equalled by team A batting 25 overs, then B having 50 then C finish their innings, chasing? Anyhow I always thought the difficult time was dusk and that tea-breaks were deliberately chosen at that time. However I don' think that applied in England as in mid-summer Dusk is around 10pm; when the games probably finished!

On the BBC I think it was 1999 the last time they had the rights to broadcast cricket live. Last year's World Cup final (broadcast on Channel 4 as well as Sky) was perhaps slightly more momentous as it was the first time since 2005 that live cricket had been on free to air in the UK.
Just to be a total and utter pedant, the BBC did manage an England v Scotland one day game from Scotland since 1999. Can't remember the year - but having one game I can barely call it "rights"!!
To be fair to the BBC, for several years now they have been putting their radio commentaries of county games with the web streams of the game, and this season the quality isn't much short of how ITV (yes, ITV!) showed cricket in the 70's with just two or three cameras!!!

SteveM70

Established Member
It might just be how it looked on TV, but the floodlights haven’t looked particularly good. Some quite sizeable parts of the outfield noticeably less well lit than others

bspahh

Established Member
I did head my posting T20 ODI match!!!

325 would have been a record innings for a T20. The biggest margin of defeat in a women's T20 international is 304 https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27014916/mali-women-sink-record-304-run-defeat-t20i when Uganda scored 315/2 (the highest innings score) and Mali were all out for 10 (the 4th lowest score).
This has the other biggest margins of victory:

In Men's first class T20 matches the biggest margin of victory was 257 in this match https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...zech-republic-held-four-world-records-cricket where the Czech Republic scored 278/4 (the equal highest T20 score), and Turkey were all out for 21 (the lowest T20 score)
This has the other biggest margins of victory:

Bobdogs

Once again Murdocs lot have trumped the BBC for commentary on the forthcoming overseas tours to South Africa and India.
All the BBC are interested in is football.
I would love to know how much they spend in total on football. Anyone know?
They televised live, fifteen first round FA Cup ties last weekend which must have cost a considerable amount, only viewed by a very niche audience.
I don't think their sports coverage overall is very balanced, football always takes priority on 5live, other sports frequently shunted to sports extra which is not available to those who listen on medium wave.

Cletus

Established Member
Comprehensive 3-0 victory for England in the T20 series in South Africa.

Next time Malan is on 98 with one run to win I expect he will try hit the ball to the boundary :lol:

HST43257

Established Member
Comprehensive 3-0 victory for England in the T20 series in South Africa.

Next time Malan is on 98 with one run to win I expect he will try hit the ball to the boundary :lol:
I thought he'd just not run on that ball and wait for the 2 (or the boundary as you say)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Just looked in on day three at the low-scoring Test Match between Australia and India. India batted first and in their first innings were dismissed for 244, then Australia in their first innings were dismissed for 191.

The shocks came very early in the India 2nd innings, as after 19 overs, they were reduced to 26-8 (Hazlewood 4-3 and Cummins 4-16)

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
India were bowled out for 36 (Hazlewood 5-3-8-5, Cummins 10.2-4-21-4, Starc 6-3/7/0); nobody, not even Mr Extras, who didn't score, got into double figures. Australia scored 93 - 2 (Joe Burns 51*) to win by eight wickets.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Second Test Match at the MCG....Australia v India

No presents for Australia on Boxing Day as they succumbed to pace and spin to be all out for 195 on day 1.

Day 2 saw India close on 277-5, thanks to an unbeaten knock of 104 not out from stand-in captain Rahane.

Last edited:

HST43257

Established Member
A pretty decent performance from England this morning by the sounds of it.

Sri Lanka 135 all out right in time for tea
5-30 Bess
3-20 Broad
1-55 Leach plus a run out (flicked off his finger and hit wickets at non strikers end)

28 (highest score of the innings) for Chandimal, who is standing in as captain.

Am I right in saying that playing times are these?
04:30 - 06:30
07:10 - 09:10
09:30 - 11:30 (plus extras if applicable)

DelW

Established Member
I woke up at what I thought was about 04:15 and was in time to hear the second SL wicket fall. However I was pretty bleary and might well have misread the time. I then dozed through the next three hours until I awoke in time for the last few wickets.

I'm a bit surprised that it's on BBC 5 Live SX, since the aborted tour of SL last winter was due to be broadcast on Talksport 2. I'm not complaining, though, as only one of my DAB radios will pick up Talksport 2.

Tonight 5 Live SX has the final Australia - India test from around 23:00, switching to England - SL in the middle of the night.

It's nice to have cricket to listen to on yet another dreary wet day!

*Edit*
Confirmed on the radio just now that it is a scheduled 04:30 start, though it may be earlier if time has been lost previously.

Last edited:

SteveHFC

Been an excellent day for England - although Sri Lanka's batting was atrocious in places - most batsmen getting themselves out. That said, got to take the chances when the come. Root & Bairstow have batted superbly after both openers were out cheaply. Been a good watch. (England currently 123-2)

kje7812

Eng 127-2 at close of play, only 8 runs behind and still 8 wickets in hand. Root and Bairstow have settled in so hopefully can push forward tomorrow. Plenty of time to play with.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Is the England v Sri Lanka series on BBC or talksport? Hopefully the former!

Steve Smith: World class player. International sh*thouse? Discuss.