• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The silence is deafening.

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed the highlights last night ;)

I hope the team continue in such positive ways.

what a brilliant day, and caps off to Notts CC for letting people in for free. I bet they more than made it back in beer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST43257

Established Member
what a brilliant day, and caps off to Notts CC for letting people in for free. I bet they more than made it back in beer.
I think the reason that what Notts did was so good was because it showed everyone that the demand for test cricket is there, just not at an extreme price

Strat-tastic

Established Member
A special day for many reasons. A great advert for test cricket. Memories that will last and keep the next generation interested in 'proper' cricket ;)

Butts

Veteran Member
I'm not a great Cricket Fan but can someone explain to me why Hampshire currently sitting 2nd in the First Division have no players in the England Team ?

Typhoon

Established Member
I'm not a great Cricket Fan but can someone explain to me why Hampshire currently sitting 2nd in the First Division have no players in the England Team ?
James Vince has been tried several times and found wanting. He may make the white ball squads. Dawson was there or thereabouts but didn't seem to be able to step up (and we don't seem to like playing spinners)
Several other players are over 30 and, given there are already a fair number of 'experienced' players in the national team, adding more may not help development down the track.
Kyle Abbot is South African.

Plus, they may not be second if Yorkshire were able to call on Root and Bairstow for all Championship games. (And, to a lesser extent, Anderson at Lancs).
If you want to win the Championship, it is often a good idea not to have test call-ups (which is why Surrey seem to be doing pretty good)

Butts

Veteran Member
James Vince has been tried several times and found wanting. He may make the white ball squads. Dawson was there or thereabouts but didn't seem to be able to step up (and we don't seem to like playing spinners)
Several other players are over 30 and, given there are already a fair number of 'experienced' players in the national team, adding more may not help development down the track.
Kyle Abbot is South African.

Plus, they may not be second if Yorkshire were able to call on Root and Bairstow for all Championship games. (And, to a lesser extent, Anderson at Lancs).
If you want to win the Championship, it is often a good idea not to have test call-ups (which is why Surrey seem to be doing pretty good)

Thanks for that.

youngiecj

A special day for many reasons. A great advert for test cricket. Memories that will last and keep the next generation interested in 'proper' cricket ;)
Typically I went for Day 5 but had to leave at Tea to go and watch the England football match in Wolverhampton. Definitely a wrong choice!!

Typhoon

Established Member
One might well ask if Buttler is anything to do with Lancashire any more...:rolleyes:
I don't know what his current situation is. Has he been out at the IPL?

That is an added problem some counties have - players unavailable for championship games because they have a contract with the Duqm Desert Foxes in the Oman Elite League for the first part of the season and the Bhojpur Black Bears in the Nepalese Supreme League at the end. In the middle they fit in a couple of Championship games but are still in 'whack the ball as hard as you can' mode and end the year with an average of 10.25 in red ball cricket.

Actually, that is another thing about Hampshire - their team has evolved, I think it was last year they got Gubbins from Middlesex, a solid run scorer, this year they have brought Ben Brown in from Sussex.

Howardh

Established Member
Looks lovely in Amstelveen today, pity it's not possible to have Netherlands/Holland in the county championship rather than as an international team that might take the odd scalp but that's about all.

HST43257

Established Member
England post an amazing total of 498-4 in 50 overs against the Netherlands.......Surely an ODI record score
Buttler 162 not out (14 x 6 and 7 x 4)
Malan 125
Salt 122
Livingstone 66 not out
Yes, beat their own record of 481-6 vs Australia in 2018, which itself beat their own record at the time of 444-3 in 2016, both of those at Trent Bridge I believe. Some suggesting that the record will be broken again in the series, we will have to see.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member

That's probably why Hampshire are 2nd in the First Division. Other teams have been decimated by calls to the two England squads and the IPL.

If cricket was fair, county sides would be allowed an overseas replacement for every player purloined by England.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
They've got Pope and Foakes in the current test team, and now Jamie Overton has been added to the squad: Burns may feel he still has a chance of regaining his place too, in home tests at least.

Typhoon

Established Member
They've got Pope and Foakes in the current test team, and now Jamie Overton has been added to the squad: Burns may feel he still has a chance of regaining his place too, in home tests at least.
You are absolutely right. Sorry, I got that wrong, I meant to say "(which is why it is impressive that Surrey seem to be doing pretty good)" (or words to that effect). I can only offer aging brain cells as an excuse.

Yes, beat their own record of 481-6 vs Australia in 2018, which itself beat their own record at the time of 444-3 in 2016, both of those at Trent Bridge I believe. Some suggesting that the record will be broken again in the series, we will have to see.
I can't help but think that
Highest Score (50 overs internationals): 481-6 v. Australia at Trent Bridge, 2018
is much more impressive than
Highest Score (50 overs internationals): 498-4 v. Netherlands at Amstelveen, 2022
for all sorts of reasons.

HST43257

Established Member
I can't help but think that

Highest Score (50 overs internationals): 481-6 v. Australia at Trent Bridge, 2018
is much more impressive than
Highest Score (50 overs internationals): 498-4 v. Netherlands at Amstelveen, 2022
for all sorts of reasons.
Completely agree. The 2018 series was much more of a challenge to this (despite seeming quite experimental itself)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
With regards to the score and the individual batting performances at Amstelveen, the two English batsmen who only scored a total of one run between them must feel somewhat embarrassed....:rolleyes:
And in the latest mismatch one of those two, Captain Morgan, 'scored' a duck from seven balls. Even if he does in theory play for Middlesex I don't think his attributes as a captain put him in the Mike Brearley camp. Time to go, I feel, and put Buttler in charge well in time for next year's 50 over World Cup.

On a more parochial level, I've watched with dismay Sam Billings's belated return from the IPL to captain Kent in both formats, and his returns both as captain and player have been mediocre to say the best. I cannot for the life of me see why he is so rated both at Kent and England level: I feel sorry for reserve wicketkeeper Ollie Robinson who has been lent to Durham, who aren't exactly having a good time themselves. Even Stewart got lent at a time when his bowling was certainly needed, let alone his ability to score quick runs. Darren Stevens seems to have disappeared from view: maybe a player ten to twenty five years older than most of the rest of the team was exposing inadequacies that became too embarrassing?

HST43257

Established Member
And in the latest mismatch one of those two, Captain Morgan, 'scored' a duck from seven balls. Even if he does in theory play for Middlesex I don't think his attributes as a captain put him in the Mike Brearley camp. Time to go, I feel, and put Buttler in charge well in time for next year's 50 over World Cup.
I’d been really hoping that Morgan could take England all the way to the ODI World Cup, but I’m sad to say he ought to be dropped after this series and, as you say, get Buttler in for ODI stuff and then T20I after the 2022 T20 World Cup. Also get him dropped from the team in the process. My view is that Morgan is an excellent Captain, but he does not play well enough to warrant a place in an England side that is one of the best in the world. I feel he should take up a coaching role in the near future as I believe he could be of value, just not on the pitch.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What about that catch yesterday, when the ball ricocheted off the NZ non-striker‘s bat! o_O Has that happened much over the years? How about calling it “caught bat and bat”?

HST43257

Established Member
What about that catch yesterday, when the ball ricocheted off the NZ non-striker‘s bat! o_O Has that happened much over the years? How about calling it “caught bat and bat”?
As he always does, Mitchell managed to get it on the middle of the bat at the non strikers end! :lol:

Lost property

Probably one of the most entertaining series for a long time...along with getting the ball into a beer glass and a certain bizarre but legal under the rules dismissal.

And, just to add to the entertainment, who better than Broad to reprise his well established petulance, accompanied by self satisfied smirk, plus, why does he insist on doing a Rab C Nesbitt impression with a bandage round his head...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Probably one of the most entertaining series for a long time...along with getting the ball into a beer glass and a certain bizarre but legal under the rules dismissal.

And, just to add to the entertainment, who better than Broad to reprise his well established petulance, accompanied by self satisfied smirk, plus, why does he insist on doing a Rab C Nesbitt impression with a bandage round his head...
You might well ask why certain professional sportsmen of an age to know better who insist on wearing their caps back to front, looking stupid as a result, certain tennis players in recent tournaments being an example of this. I blame their mothers for not teaching their sons correctly.