• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Trackman

Established Member
Probably one of the most entertaining series for a long time...along with getting the ball into a beer glass and a certain bizarre but legal under the rules dismissal.
I’ve not really had time to catch up this week, are you referring to the DRS failure wicket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
How many times over the years in Test Matches have we seen a tremendous stand running to the close of play, only for the next day to see a very early wicket fall? The hoodoo struck again early today after Bairstow (162 with 24 x 4) and Overton (97 with 2 x 6 and 13 x 4) had put on a stand of 241 for the seventh wicket and England were 360 all out in their first innings (67 overs)

Last edited:

Strat-tastic

Established Member
I have just seen it! I wonder if it has happened before in a test match?
Quick Q: If it came off the umpire would it still be a wicket?
I believe it would have, yes.
There's an interesting q&a podcast on bbc Sounds (tms) with an umpire, covering this and many other questions.

philjo

Established Member
No wickets so far today.
Ben Foakes has tested positive for Covid so Sam Billings is keeping wicket as the Covid substitute replacement.
It has been announced that admission to Headingley will be free on Monday - booking required online.

Bayum

Established Member
No wickets so far today.
Ben Foakes has tested positive for Covid so Sam Billings is keeping wicket as the Covid substitute replacement.
It has been announced that admission to Headingley will be free on Monday - booking required online.
Until just now. Mitchell suitably unimpressed.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 4 saw both Mitchell and Blundell developing a good stand and they had added 113 runs before Potts had Mitchell out lbw. The last four wickets to fall were all to Leach and leaving Blundell on 88 not out and New Zealand 326 all out in their second innings.

philjo

Established Member
10 wickets in the match for Jack Leach, 5 in each innings. It Will be interesting to see how he performs against India next week.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Set to score 296 to win, England reached 183-2 at close of play on day 4, Pope 81 not out and Root 55 not out.

However, the weather forecast talks of a weather change passing over the country from west to east today. As at Trent Bridge, Day 5 will be free admission.

kje7812

Rain at Headingley this morning. Forecast is for it to clear up after lunch so hopefully enough time to chase 113 this afternnon (should be with the rate England were scoring at but you never know).

Enthusiast

Quick Q: If it came off the umpire would it still be a wicket?
Law 33 - Caught

33.2.2 Furthermore, a catch will be fair if any of the following conditions applies:

33.2.2.3 a fielder catches the ball after it has touched the wicket, an umpire, another fielder, a runner or the other batsman.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
England 296 - 3 (Root 86*, Pope 82, Bairstow 71*) to win the match by by seven wickets and the series 3-0.

Meanwhile at Taunton, England Women have bowled South Africa Women out for 284 at the close of play.

Trackman

Established Member
Law 33 - Caught

33.2.2 Furthermore, a catch will be fair if any of the following conditions applies:

33.2.2.3 a fielder catches the ball after it has touched the wicket, an umpire, another fielder, a runner or the other batsman.
Thanks for that.
Just listening to the TMS 'Ask the Umpire' in the current series, it was the first one that came up!
I find it a riveting podcast, Mrs T thinks I'm going mad! (headphones time)

Howardh

Established Member
I believe it would have, yes.
There's an interesting q&a podcast on bbc Sounds (tms) with an umpire, covering this and many other questions.
If the ball hits the umpire or non striking batsman and is ultimately caught it's out. Think it's the same if it hits an airborne bird (wasn't a sparrow killed at Lord's once?!). These q&a sessions also cover semi ridiculous situations, such as a ball hitting a cow that had wandered onto the outfield!

Once during a club game the ball ran towards the practice net, where a couple of balls had entered the field of play. The fielder threw back the right one, but I wonder what the rule would be if he threw back the wrong one and the umps knew it was wrong? The batsmen could keep running until the correct ball is fielded I suppose!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Once during a club game the ball ran towards the practice net, where a couple of balls had entered the field of play. The fielder threw back the right one, but I wonder what the rule would be if he threw back the wrong one and the umps knew it was wrong? The batsmen could keep running until the correct ball is fielded I suppose!
I'm not an expert, but I think that the umpire would call "dead ball", and no runs would be scored.

Lost property

Well that was nice to see...the return of the five day Test ! ...actually, I think the ball stole the show ending up as it did in a pint glass, that dismissal, between Billings legs (bit surplus to requirements really) and wedged between the seats c/o one J.Bairstow.

The result however does not detract from the quality of the cricket played by both teams...

What will be interesting therefore is how the now rejuvenated (under new management, which speaks volumes) England play against India.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Well that was nice to see...the return of the five day Test ! ...actually, I think the ball stole the show ending up as it did in a pint glass, that dismissal, between Billings legs (bit surplus to requirements really) and wedged between the seats c/o one J.Bairstow.

The result however does not detract from the quality of the cricket played by both teams...

What will be interesting therefore is how the now rejuvenated (under new management, which speaks volumes) England play against India.
It will be interesting, but the minimal practice the Indian team have had may make it difficult for them from the start. If Ravi Ashwin makes it to their team following a Covid 'scare' it could make all the difference, given his great county record here.

I don't understand why Billings got the call, Burgess is having a fantastic season, Simpson a pretty good one and Phil Salt is coming up fast on the rails. Billings has done nothing since his return from the IPL, nor while he was there, and got nowhere near a chance offered on Sunday. I don't get where his support comes from.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
If the ball hits the umpire or non striking batsman and is ultimately caught it's out. Think it's the same if it hits an airborne bird (wasn't a sparrow killed at Lord's once?!). These q&a sessions also cover semi ridiculous situations, such as a ball hitting a cow that had wandered onto the outfield!
There's some hilarious nonsense about parrots on batsmen's shoulders in the current one :lol:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The second day at Taunton has just finished with the fall of the sixth England wicket.

England have batted all day, and were at one time 121-5. There followed a stand of 207 for the sixth wicket between Nat Sciver (119*, her first Test century) and Alice Davidson-Richards (107, a test century on debut) to take the score to 328 for six. It was only ended by one of the few false shots by ADR (as she's known), and is one of the largest stands in Women's Test history. The English lead is 44 with four wickets left ... the only question is when will England declare?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
India all out for 416 in the morning session of Day 2 in the Test Match.

Two different items of note for the regular England strike bowlers...

Broad goes to make his mark in the record books by conceding 35 runs in an over (wides included) in a Test Match.

Anderson...21.5 - 4 - 60 - 5.

Lost property

India all out for 416 in the morning session of Day 2 in the Test Match.

Two different items of note for the regular England strike bowlers...

Broad goes to make his mark in the record books by conceding 35 runs in an over (wides included) in a Test Match.

Anderson...21.5 - 4 - 60 - 5.
He's always been very generous to the opposition scores....wide of the off stump and short when he's having one of his petulant moments...which has been often.

Opposing Test teams will miss him when he retires...but nobody else will.

High Dyke

Established Member
Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
At close of play on a rain-interrupted second day of the Test Match, England were 84-5, with Bumrah taking the first three wickets. One consolation being that in their first innings, India too looked in trouble at 98-5 but then recovered thanks to a double century stand. Bairstow and Stokes now at the crease,

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 3....I was hoping that Broad would go some way to making up for his bowling faux pas in that over by scoring an equivalent number of runs when he batted, but he only lasted 5 balls, scoring 1 in the process before being dismissed.

England eventually all out for 284 in their first innings with Siraj taking four wickets.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Day 4 saw India all out for 245 in their second innings

Pujara 66 (8 x 4)
Pant 57 (8 x 4)

Stokes ..... 11.5 - 0 - 33 - 4

Somewhat different two-innings total match bowling returns from England's strike bowlers:-

Anderson ....... 40.5 - 9 - 106 - 6 .... Average 17.67

Broad............... 34 - 4 - 147 - 3 .... Average 49,00

England in their second innings ended the day on 259-3 from just 57 overs

Root 76 not out (9 x 4)
Bairstow 72 not out (1 x 6 and 8 x 4)

England need 119 runs to win with all day 5 available.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Day 5 saw England taking little time in scoring those 119 required runs.

England (2nd innings) ... 378-3

Root 142 not out (1 x 6 and 19 x 4)
Bairstow 114 not out (1 x 6 and 15 x 4)

An unbroken stand of 269 runs

England win by seven wickets.

Last edited: