• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Amazing how fortunes can change in a 4-day County Championship match. At 20 minutes after tea on the fourth day in the Lancashire v. Kent match:-
Lancashire 1st innings...145 all out
Kent 1st innings............270 all out
Lancashire 2nd innings...436-9 declared
Kent 2nd innings...........127 all out

Useful winning points for Lancashire.

Last edited:

High Dyke

Established Member
Division Two.

Another win for Nottinghamshire.

Trent Bridge: Nottinghamshire (240 & 301, 20 pts) beat Sussex (143 & 142, 3 pts) by 256 runs.

HST43257

Established Member
Yorkshire lose to Hampshire by 7 wickets at Scarborough. Promisingly, Ben Coad returned to the Yorkshire side with match figures of 4-77, whilst Steven Patterson has stepped down from the captaincy and will leave the club at the end of the year.

It’s been a disappointing season for Yorkshire so far. Ben Coad, Matthew Fisher and Tom Kohler-Cadmore have been sitting out large parts of the spring/summer with injuries, plus the Overseas players, particularly in First Class, have been abysmal overall.

Now the attention switches to the One Day Cup, which is simply ignored by the ECB - the England ODI side will come to struggle if good players aren’t able to play 50 Overs domestically because they’re good enough for The Hundred.

Next season, Yorkshire are also going to have to find a way to find players to match or better the qualities of Tom Kohler-Cadmore and David Willey, who will both be very much missed especially in the T20s.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Amazing how fortunes can change in a 4-day County Championship match. At 20 minutes after tea on the fourth day in the Lancashire v. Kent match:-
Lancashire 1st innings...145 all out
Kent 1st innings............270 all out
Lancashire 2nd innings...436-9 declared
Kent 2nd innings...........127 all out

Useful winning points for Lancashire.
Zak Crawley is no more able to score runs as an opening bat for Kent than he is for England! I've no idea whose bright idea it was he should open. Hameed should be brought back, he's playing quite brilliantly by all accounts, and Lees is never going to sparkle imo. Room for Harry Brook has to be found in the England XI, also for Ollie Robinson if he is truly match fit again at last.

Typhoon

Established Member
Zak Crawley is no more able to score runs as an opening bat for Kent than he is for England! I've no idea whose bright idea it was he should open. Hameed should be brought back, he's playing quite brilliantly by all accounts, and Lees is never going to sparkle imo. Room for Harry Brook has to be found in the England XI, also for Ollie Robinson if he is truly match fit again at last.
Ollie Robinson should replace Crawley for Kent (the other Ollie Robinson, that is).

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Ollie Robinson should replace Crawley for Kent (the other Ollie Robinson, that is).
Time for one of the two to be known as Olly, or even Oliver? What if Kent's came into England's sightlines? (Remember Geraint Jones, a 'punt' if ever there was one!)

Typhoon

Established Member
Time for one of the two to be known as Olly, or even Oliver? What if Kent's came into England's sightlines? (Remember Geraint Jones, a 'punt' if ever there was one!)
He only came into the Kent team because Billings has Covid (I believe), he hasn't really pushed on, while Cox has. He was farmed out to Durham for the T20. They've got stacks of players but don't seem to know who the best team for any format is. As far as batting goes Compton started well but has trailed off, Bell-Drummond has been more consistent of late. I have a lot of time for Denly, been around for a long time (must be due a benefit), comes from a Kent sporting family. As we saw, a collapse is always on the cards. We've been through periods like this before but there were usually redeeming features (characters, entertainers, the home grown, match-winners). some of the time I'm thinking 'who's ....'? I don't think we are unique in this.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
He only came into the Kent team because Billings has Covid (I believe), he hasn't really pushed on, while Cox has. He was farmed out to Durham for the T20. They've got stacks of players but don't seem to know who the best team for any format is. As far as batting goes Compton started well but has trailed off, Bell-Drummond has been more consistent of late. I have a lot of time for Denly, been around for a long time (must be due a benefit), comes from a Kent sporting family. As we saw, a collapse is always on the cards. We've been through periods like this before but there were usually redeeming features (characters, entertainers, the home grown, match-winners). some of the time I'm thinking 'who's ....'? I don't think we are unique in this.
Yes, and now Milnes is going to Yorkshire. Wouldn't Leaning becoming captain for the Championship be better, if Billings continues to prioritise the IPL and his bank balance over his county?

Typhoon

Established Member
Yes, and now Milnes is going to Yorkshire. Wouldn't Leaning becoming captain for the Championship be better, if Billings continues to prioritise the IPL and his bank balance over his county?
Meanwhile Evison arrives from Notts! Its just a merry-go-round And its true elsewhere as well. Last year there were injury problems, granted but I think they need to look at the staff, who is up to it, who isn't. Unfortunately, I don't think management know..

Bell-Drummond is vice-captain and I'm not sure the team performed too well under Leaning's captaincy earlier in the season (when they lost just about everything). Billings is quite good at motivating the team, when he is there.

HST43257

Established Member
I’m not sure how much control they have, but could the ECB ask Billings to not do next years IPL in order to work on his first class game, given he is appearing to be 2nd choice Test keeper now?

3rd rail land

I’m not sure how much control they have, but could the ECB ask Billings to not do next years IPL in order to work on his first class game, given he is appearing to be 2nd choice Test keeper now?
They could ask but they can't force him to not play in the IPL. I can't imagine Billings would agree given how much money can be earned from the IPL. I believe the only rule the ECB enforces is that all Test players must have a county red ball contract. Then again they broke their own rule when they picked Rashid for the Test team.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'm not at all sure Billings is second choice Test keeper now. He was only chosen in Australia because he was playing out there and there was an emergency. I can see that Bairstow would not be allowed to regain the position as he is far too valuable as a batsman now, but I'd have thought there are other keepers out there who can bat long and deep and are, arguably, no worse keepers. Billings's performance wasn't great this summer, but it went under the radar with all the excellent stuff going on elsewhere. To me, neither Billings nor Buttler will ever be great keepers, so it's what else they bring to the party that counts.

Typhoon

Established Member
Kent has produced some outstanding keepers - Ames, Evans, Knott. Also some good keepers including Huish, Hubble, Marsh, Jones. Billings belongs in the latter category.

His value for England is that he can fill in, particularly in the one day game; he is also a decent outfield player, the 12th man role. We need to keep faith with Foakes, the number two should be someone who is happy to take the drinks out.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Kent has produced some outstanding keepers - Ames, Evans, Knott. Also some good keepers including Huish, Hubble, Marsh, Jones. Billings belongs in the latter category.

His value for England is that he can fill in, particularly in the one day game; he is also a decent outfield player, the 12th man role. We need to keep faith with Foakes, the number two should be someone who is hafor England forppy to take the drinks out.
Absolutely agree with all that, and I understand Billings's usefulness to the England set-up. I'd add Downton to your 'good' list too'. I'm just too young (not a phrase I have occasion to use much now!) to remember Godfrey Evans, but my readings seem to show that his keeping in Kent colours didn't match his England efforts, with suggestions he didn't try too hard. Shades of David Gower's batting for Leicestershire, perhaps, or Phillipe Edmonds at Middlesex.

Typhoon

Established Member
Absolutely agree with all that, and I understand Billings's usefulness to the England set-up. I'd add Downton to your 'good' list too'. I'm just too young (not a phrase I have occasion to use much now!) to remember Godfrey Evans, but my readings seem to show that his keeping in Kent colours didn't match his England efforts, with suggestions he didn't try too hard. Shades of David Gower's batting for Leicestershire, perhaps, or Phillipe Edmonds at Middlesex.
Downton only played for Kent for three years and, even during that time, his progress was hampered when Knott was available for the county full time following his participation in the Packer series. Knott was always going to be preferred, partly because he work so well with Underwood and also he was a motivator on the pitch.

Evans - I believe you are right but the '50s team was poor (eg an overseas cricketer with a batting average of 25, who bowled a bit; other regulars with a batting average of 20 and 25), it was only at the end of the decade when a policy to develop younger talent started that things improved. This combined with the import of Peter Richardson meant there was support for the likes of Bob Wilson and Stuart Leary. Fortunately it was about that time that I was allowed to go to games. I don't think I ever saw Evans.

Added on 02/08 (otherwise i would have won a fortune at the bookies)
Its a good job Billings is involved in The Hundred, his replacement, the Kentish Man Ollie Robinson scored 206 not out, the highest score in a one day match for Kent. A highlight of a pretty rubbish season.

Last edited:

roversfan2001

Established Member
An "interesting" issue developing at Lancashire. The Lancs Action Group have gone on the warpath recently in their mission to 'save county cricket'. Lancashire have distanced themselves from the group due to some really quite nasty comments made by them, particularly in regards to the women's game. The divide between the two sections of cricket fans (broadly pro- and anti-Hundred) is growing larger by the day. If the Lancs Action Group want people to support their cause, or even respect them at all, they could do well with being a tad more tolerant of people that don't agree with them.

Howardh

Established Member
An "interesting" issue developing at Lancashire. The Lancs Action Group have gone on the warpath recently in their mission to 'save county cricket'. Lancashire have distanced themselves from the group due to some really quite nasty comments made by them, particularly in regards to the women's game. The divide between the two sections of cricket fans (broadly pro- and anti-Hundred) is growing larger by the day. If the Lancs Action Group want people to support their cause, or even respect them at all, they could do well with being a tad more tolerant of people that don't agree with them.
Looks like to me the majority are on the side of LAG, too much franchise and not enough county cricket.
There isn't room for everything and something has to give and that looks like the County Championship.
No way.
Are the ECB embarrassed that the "second eleven" RL cup is attracting big crowds...York a sellout for example?
In the UK we have s limited weather window to fit everything in.
Myself I'd allow the CC to start on foreign soil, middle East or Spain.
But I'm not, ever, no way, gonna watch peanuts play crisps.

roversfan2001

Established Member
But I'm not, ever, no way, gonna watch peanuts play crisps.
Emirates v Woodland Group was a fantastic quarter final though wasn't it? Or are we only allowed to use sponsor names when it suits?
Looks like to me the majority are on the side of LAG, too much franchise and not enough county cricket.
I suspect your echo chamber may be doing some heavy lifting here. Look at a crowd for a CC game at Old Trafford compared to an Originals game.
If the Lancs Action Group want people to support their cause, or even respect them at all, they could do well with being a tad more tolerant of people that don't agree with them.
And just to cap this off, them, along with at least one of their members, has blocked me for speaking against them on Twitter. How very tolerant.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The divide between the two sections of cricket fans (broadly pro- and anti-Hundred) is growing larger by the day.
Agree - the Hundred isn't going away and it really burns the conservative stuffed shirts how popular it is and how much coverage it gets. There are so many kids and families at the grounds

That coverage is the point of the competition: Get it into the homes of people who don't know cricket and hopefully get them interested. I wont rehash the discussion on 20/20 v 100 but he former is locked up in a non terrestrial broadcast deal and subject to county control/influence. The ECB wanted a franchise competition and this was the way to get it.

Personally I think the 100 is colourful, brash, loud and fun. I watch it because it is on and on council TV. There are plenty of people who will get access to cricket for the first time because this is available. They might even give the game a try..................

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Agree - the Hundred isn't going away and it really burns the conservative stuffed shirts how popular it is and how much coverage it gets. There are so many kids and families at the grounds

That coverage is the point of the competition: Get it into the homes of people who don't know cricket and hopefully get them interested. I wont rehash the discussion on 20/20 v 100 but he former is locked up in a non terrestrial broadcast deal and subject to county control/influence. The ECB wanted a franchise competition and this was the way to get it.

Personally I think the 100 is colourful, brash, loud and fun. I watch it because it is on and on council TV. There are plenty of people who will get access to cricket for the first time because this is available. They might even give the game a try..................
Eight teams, therefore four games possible, and all you get is one per day, some of which, like the first game this year, were over almost before they began. Most games are not shown on the BBC either, including the two most exciting so far. The Hundred is basically T20 with a load of extra ramatazz, English style i.e. pretty naff. As the rest of the world focusses on T20 why are we trying to sideline it? Oh, yes, money and politics. The ECB should pour 'their' money into T20 instead of The Hundred and try to get the national team up to scratch when playing India, NZ, SA etc.

It is also ridiculous that in this great weather for cricket all county sides are playing so little - the county championship could and should encompass two more matches in August, as Ben Stokes says.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My only real complaint with the Hundred is that they could have achieved everything they were after with a T20 competition. It didn't require inventing another random format. Make it a T20 franchise competition and keep all the other random stuff that goes around it. Still not for me personally but the main idea of getting cricket on free to air TV and appealing to a new audience is hugely important and laudable one. Just don't make it a stupid new format. Well, the other thing is the franchise names. God they are dull and I can only assume were the brainchild of some stuffed ECB marketing suit. Welsh Fire and Northern Superchargers those are reasonable ones. But London Spirit? Manchester Originals? Good lord.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
My only real complaint with the Hundred is that they could have achieved everything they were after with a T20 competition. It didn't require inventing another random format. Make it a T20 franchise competition and keep all the other random stuff that goes around it. Still not for me personally but the main idea of getting cricket on free to air TV and appealing to a new audience is hugely important and laudable one. Just don't make it a stupid new format. Well, the other thing is the franchise names. God they are dull and I can only assume were the brainchild of some stuffed ECB marketing suit. Welsh Fire and Northern Superchargers those are reasonable ones. But London Spirit? Manchester Originals? Good lord.
I don't disagree but 20/20 in this country is under contract and clearly ECB did want to wait for it to become "free". The names are so stupid btw!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't disagree but 20/20 in this country is under contract and clearly ECB did want to wait for it to become "free".
The Blast is under contract, I'm not aware that T20 itself is under Sky's umbrella. Indeed my understanding was that it was quite a late change in the process making it a new format and until then both the BBC and Sky were expecting to get a new T20 competition! Open to correction of course.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The Blast is under contract, I'm not aware that T20 itself is under Sky's umbrella. Indeed my understanding was that it was quite a late change in the process making it a new format and until then both the BBC and Sky were expecting to get a new T20 competition! Open to correction of course.
Thanks - I assumed the commercial & broadcast rights were tied up in a sole 20/20 competition and couldn't be exploited. Perhaps the lawyers were involved!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
That legend of county cricket Darren Stevens is finally leaving Kent at the end of the season, having been denied another extension to his contract. Of course, he was scheduled to finish at the end of the 2019 season but set to prove he was still up to it despite his comparatively advanced years and succeeded beyond anyone's wildest dreams. He was one of Wisden's 5 Cricketers of the Year in 2021. His appearances this year have been sporadic, partly through injury, but he hasn't per whoformed markedly worse than a number of other teammates, and better than some like Zak Crawley!

He hopes to be selected again by Kent so that his many fans can give him a send-off, and who's to say he wouldn't produce another virtuoso performance? He's also hoping another county may recognise that he still has an appetite for the game and sign him up, and I think his wish may be granted. I can think of a handful of current players, including one from Kent, who are more deserving of the bum's rush than Mr D. Stevens.

S&CLER

It may interest some on the forum who are local that the Freshfield Animal Rescue charity shop on the corner of Portland Street and Shakespeare Street in Southport had a stack of about 20 or 30 Wisdens for sale (last couple of decades as far as i could see) for a few pounds each when I was in there the other day. Maybe a chance to fill the gaps in your collection?

Typhoon

Established Member
That legend of county cricket Darren Stevens is finally leaving Kent at the end of the season, having been denied another extension to his contract. Of course, he was scheduled to finish at the end of the 2019 season but set to prove he was still up to it despite his comparatively advanced years and succeeded beyond anyone's wildest dreams. He was one of Wisden's 5 Cricketers of the Year in 2021. His appearances this year have been sporadic, partly through injury, but he hasn't per whoformed markedly worse than a number of other teammates, and better than some like Zak Crawley!

He hopes to be selected again by Kent so that his many fans can give him a send-off, and who's to say he wouldn't produce another virtuoso performance? He's also hoping another county may recognise that he still has an appetite for the game and sign him up, and I think his wish may be granted. I can think of a handful of current players, including one from Kent, who are more deserving of the bum's rush than Mr D. Stevens.
He was injured in his second comeback match on 4th August after injury. If the present programme continues he might be useful in the One Day Cup for a team which loses several players to the Hundred.
I suppose the signing of Evison was an indication that the writing was on the wall, he didn't sign to play in the Seconds and the notification on the website hasn't been put together in a hurry. There have been some heart-felt messages from former colleagues who clearly appreciated his contributions.