• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

DarloRich

Veteran Member
An embarrassing, humiliating, feeble, disgraceful & frankly cowardly show by England. Call it off and come home. Get 11 blokes out of the crowd if we have to fulfil the last 2 tests. They couldn't be any worse.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

backontrack

Established Member
And that's your lot. Congratulations Australia!

Exceedingly well-deserved. Very happy for Boland, at 32 years of age, to come in and plant his name firmly in Ashes folklore. He'll go down in history for that.

Now, the key takeaways:

Chris Silverwood must step down. Now.

Joe Root must immediately tender his resignation.

backontrack

Established Member
Root is about the only player who justifies his place in the team. Whether he should be captain or not is a different question.
That's what I mean - of course he should stay in. We'd be Bangladesh without him.

But he can't stay captain. He's proved himself thoroughly incapable of learning any lessons, or imprinting them onto this horrifically useless team of placeholder batsmen.

backontrack

Established Member
It isn't Root - it is coaching, section, coaching and preparation. Maybe replace him as captain but without him we would struggle to get 50!
Chris Silverwood, the Ole Gunnar Solskjaer of the cricketing world, can't be gone soon enough.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Exceedingly well-deserved. Very happy for Boland, at 32 years of age, to come in and plant his name firmly in Ashes folklore. He'll go down in history for that.
fair play to the lad. He has done very well. However we made him look like Malcom Marshall! We gave him 6 for sod all.

backontrack

Established Member
"Imagine being James Anderson, bowling your guts out for the 312th time in Test cricket, taking 4 for spit, keeping Australia to a small lead despite your batters’ pathetic first innings, then you’re back out there batting for the match before lunch the next day. "

Geoff Lemon on Twitter.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I don't mind getting turned over by the Aussies. They are good players, good guys and hard competitors. I do mind gutless surrenders. This lot are a disgrace. They don't want to be there and don't care about performances and putting in effort.

pscotty

I don't know why Joe Root would want to captain this team - he's in a different class. He's scored 1700+ runs for Englsand this year - more than 3x the next player. I wouldn't be surprised if he resigned to continue as batsman only.

And maybe the ECB will reflect on what they've done to English red ball cricket.

backontrack

Established Member
I don't mind getting turned over by the Aussies. They are good players, good guys and hard competitors. I do mind gutless surrenders. This lot are a disgrace. They don't want to be there and don't care about performances and putting in effort.
At least there's positive! Jonny Bairstow got into double figures in the first innings...

The fact that English journos have ended up commending players' 'stout resistance' when they've scored 34 runs and then got out incomprehensibly cheaply is just further proof of the rot. It used to be that only scoring 34 got you dropped, for Christ's sakes.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Boland's bowling return of 4 - 1 - 7 - 6 in the England second innings must be one of the best Test Match bowling returns by a debutant Test Match cricketer.

The performance of the England team in that second innings reminded me of the name of that iconic thoroughfare in York...."The Shambles".

Last edited:

Peterthegreat

Established Member
I don't know why Joe Root would want to captain this team - he's in a different class. He's scored 1700+ runs for Englsand this year - more than 3x the next player. I wouldn't be surprised if he resigned to continue as batsman only.

And maybe the ECB will reflect on what they've done to English red ball cricket.
I think that sums it up entirely. The obsession with limited overs together with no preparation (OK Covid measures didn't help), inconsistent selections, the county game in a state of flux, etc, etc etc. If we are to take Test matches, particularly those abroad, seriously then a total rehash of the domestic game is a must.
I have a little bit of sympathy with the lower order as they are effectively coming in two or three places higher than listed. Buttler and Bairstow would be particularly useful coming in at 300-5 when the bowlers are tired. Coming in regularly at 100 (or less) for 5 is far from ideal. However where are nos 1, 2 and 3 coming from? How many combinations have been tried?

At least there's positive! Jonny Bairstow got into double figures in the first innings...

The fact that English journos have ended up commending players' 'stout resistance' when they've scored 34 runs and then got out incomprehensibly cheaply is just further proof of the rot. It used to be that only scoring 34 got you dropped, for Christ's sakes.
In 1967 Geoff Boycott was dropped after scoring 246 not out. What would we give for that these days?

backontrack

Established Member
Only Joe Root and Ben Stokes made double figures for England during that second innings.

To be quite honest, they're the only two batsmen who are good enough to be there.

backontrack

Established Member
Stokes has scored 101 in 6 innings.
We know he can do it, though, and maybe he'd have done a lot better if he wasn't perpetually hobbled with injury as a consequence of him, Wood, Archer, Stone and co. being constantly mismanaged by this ECB.

Also Stokes has reasons for significant mitigation too; he's only just returned from a mental health sabbatical after having experienced deep personal tragedy. He's not the problem with this England team; they're just being exposed because, at the moment, he can't be the solution on his own like he was in 2019.

Peterthegreat

Established Member
We know he can do it, though, and maybe he'd have done a lot better if he wasn't perpetually hobbled with injury as a consequence of him, Wood, Archer, Stone and co. being constantly mismanaged by this ECB.

Also Stokes has reasons for significant mitigation too; he's only just returned from a mental health sabbatical after having experienced deep personal tragedy. He's not the problem with this England team; they're just being exposed because, at the moment, he can't be the solution on his own like he was in 2019.
I don't disagree with your assessment but if he doesn't improve is he worth his place in the team? Not that there are any obvious replacements.

backontrack

Established Member
I don't disagree with your assessment but if he doesn't improve is he worth his place in the team? Not that there are any obvious replacements.
This is kind of the thing - at least we know he can potentially do it.

None of Burns, Crawley, Hameed, Pope or Buttler have proven to be capable of anything much.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The ECB, knowing of the problems being experienced by Stokes, should not have selected him.

Peterthegreat

Established Member
This is kind of the thing - at least we know he can potentially do it.

None of Burns, Crawley, Hameed, Pope or Buttler have proven to be capable of anything much.
That is true. I also wonder what has gone wrong with Bairstow.

The ECB, knowing of the problems being experienced by Stokes, should not have selected him.
I would tend to agree. If Stokes still has mental health issues I am not sure a poor performance will help him.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Should have faked those PCR tests, would have been a less embarrassing way to end the match.

New strategy:
267460105_340276494578362_901235602216119175_n.jpg

Last edited:

High Dyke

Established Member
And that's your lot. Congratulations Australia!

Now, the key takeaways:

Chris Silverwood must step down. Now.

Joe Root must immediately tender his resignation.
Fair credit for that bowling display. Those that have watched the Big Bash will have seen how good Boland can bowl. I went to bed last night as the play was starting. I didn't have any expectations that we would still be playing by the time I got up; I was right!

As for Silverwood and Root to step down; will it happen? I'm not sure it will because it been shown so many times that selectors and senior officials always think that the people in charge are doing a good job, despite the 'odd setback'. You see it in other sports too. Perhaps the ones at the top of the tree should also stand down?

daodao

Established Member
England are a 10th rate side.
Proven today.

It does seem that the batsmen are the real problem in the England side, with the partial exception of Root, who has scored 253 runs in the series so far (average 42 runs per innings).

Maybe there should be a 2-tier test league, each of 5 teams, like other sports competitions. Based on present performances England would be in the 2nd tier.

3rd rail land

What's the long term solution to return England back to their winning ways of yesteryear? We clearly don't have enough decent test level players to come close to winning any Test match right now, even against Zimbabwe, Ireland or Bangladesh.

In fact is there anything we can do to reverse the rot? Short of getting rid of all the coaching staff and perhaps management and starting totally afresh I can't see a solution. It's not as if we have lots of high quality players in the County Championship who we could give debuts to and would actually be able to hack it at the top level.

Perhaps we need to beg our stars from the late 00s and early 2010s to come out of retirement and play at the top level once again!