• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crosscountry strike timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedr

Any idea what train formations/types are likely? Will they be using the HSTs or doubling up Voyagers?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Any idea what train formations/types are likely? Will they be using the HSTs or doubling up Voyagers?
Previous strikes only voyagers were used and mostly doubled up.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Wouldn't have thought any HSTs would be involved as the contingency guards are unlikely to have the required traction knowledge. Doubled up Voyagers all round, I'd have said.

bennorthyork

Does anyone know if the strike on 30th July is likely to have any impact on 1S45 0927 Plymouth to Aberdeen Departing on 31st July 2022? Travelling between Tiverton Parkway and York.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Does anyone know if the strike on 30th July is likely to have any impact on 1S45 0927 Plymouth to Aberdeen Departing on 31st July 2022? Travelling between Tiverton Parkway and York.
XC drivers aren't striking on 30 July, so there would be no direct effect on your journey even if it were the day before. However, you may find your train busier than normal, as some people may have deferred journeys from 30 July. So making a seat reservation is a good idea.

Class 170101

Established Member
But are the signallers who would usually control the signals on the Bristol to Birmingham section and any necessary staff such as despatch staff etc. going to be available on strike days?
Some it is a manual box area hence the non-operation of trains.

If needing to travel between Bristol and Birmingham travel via Reading and Oxford.

class 9

XC drivers aren't striking on 30 July, so there would be no direct effect on your journey even if it were the day before. However, you may find your train busier than normal, as some people may have deferred journeys from 30 July. So making a seat reservation is a good idea.
I'd imagine that service will be pretty busy, in particular between Sheffield and Leeds, as XC are accepting LNER tickets, so passengers will be changing onto EMR for to/from London.

DannyMich2018

Seems XC is operating normally today. I wonder if services finish earlier? By contrast LNWR/WMR appear to have no services today with some places such as Northampton, Redditch, Walsall, Stourbridge with no trains at all!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Seems XC is operating normally today. I wonder if services finish earlier? By contrast LNWR/WMR appear to have no services today with some places such as Northampton, Redditch, Walsall, Stourbridge with no trains at all!

That’s because XC aren’t on strike. WMT are. Simples!

Established Member
Cross Country will not operate on 13th August due to Strikes.

On 18th the timetable is slightly different for the SW-NE route as there is now a hourly Bristol - Birmingham service but nothing south of Bristol to Plymouth.

Birmingham

On 18th the timetable is slightly different for the SW-NE route as there is now a hourly Bristol - Birmingham service but nothing south of Bristol to Plymouth.
Good IMO as Bristol to Plymouth is also operated by GWR but Cheltenham to Birmingham direct is only operated by XC.

Amlag

Good IMO as Bristol to Plymouth is also operated by GWR but Cheltenham to Birmingham direct is only operated by XC.
Looks as if ( at last ) NR have trained/managed to find some competent staff to man Gloucester Panel box and the one or two still manned Level Crossings on RMT strike days on this route.

irish_rail

Established Member
Uh yeah but GWR are also on strike , and last time, many of the Plymouth to Londons advertised to run via Bristol instead ran via the b and h due to so many GWR drivers having lost route knowledge of Taunton to Bristol. So not really a good move at all, sounds like a kop out from XC, but should I be surprised???

sonic2009

Established Member

Great that the Bristol - Birmingham services are stopping at Worcestershire Parkway in both directions except for 2 services. I have a wedding to attend in Malvern, so perfect for me to get a lift now from there instead of originally Bromsgrove or Redditch.

Birmingham

Uh yeah but GWR are also on strike , and last time, many of the Plymouth to Londons advertised to run via Bristol instead ran via the b and h due to so many GWR drivers having lost route knowledge of Taunton to Bristol. So not really a good move at all, sounds like a kop out from XC, but should I be surprised???
Of course it is unfortunate that GWR is also on strike, but yes, I think it is a good move for XC to prioritise a route that only they ever operate over a route that is also operated by other TOCs. If GWR also chooses not to serve Bristol to Plymouth, well, that’s not XC’s fault!

irish_rail

Established Member
Of course it is unfortunate that GWR is also on strike, but yes, I think it is a good move for XC to prioritise a route that only they ever operate over a route that is also operated by other TOCs. If GWR also chooses not to serve Bristol to Plymouth, well, that’s not XC’s fault!
And its not the poor passengers fault either! Is no one aware that a baking hot August is likely to make for busy trains in the south west??!!! A good case of the disjointed railway we now suffer.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
And its not the poor passengers fault either! Is no one aware that a baking hot August is likely to make for busy trains in the south west??!!! A good case of the disjointed railway we now suffer.
I presume you're not striking then?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

it has nothing to do with the priorities of Cross Country (or GWR, or any other TOC), but simply about the availability of enough people able to work the panels in Gloucester PSB.

irish_rail

Established Member
I presume you're not striking then?
What on earth has that got to do with anything? If I'm on strike its because after 3 years without any payrise I'm struggling to pay the bills. What has that got to do with XC choosing to prioritise people travelling from Bristol to Birmingham over Bristol to Plymouth?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
What on earth has that got to do with anything? If I'm on strike its because after 3 years without any payrise I'm struggling to pay the bills. What has that got to do with XC choosing to prioritise people travelling from Bristol to Birmingham over Bristol to Plymouth?
The point being made I think was that the strike means next to no service will be operated to and from the South West regardless.

Your claim was that it's a disjointed service which deprioritises the South West and that passengers would suffer because of this decision. I would respectfully suggest that this isn't correct, and that next to nobody will be using the train regardless of what specifically CrossCountry and GWR operate, because next to no service will be running. Passengers won't meaningfully suffer at all because if they have any sense they will be travelling by road on these days.

Is no one aware that a baking hot August is likely to make for busy trains in the south west??!!!
If there are no trains, then trains can't be busy can they?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Well I'm sure you wouldn't be complaining about the impact of the strike on passengers, whilst being on strike yourself... :lol:

Birmingham

it has nothing to do with the priorities of Cross Country (or GWR, or any other TOC), but simply about the availability of enough people able to work the panels in Gloucester PSB.
Seemingly there are once again not enough people able to work the panels in Gloucester PSB on Saturday 20th’s strike.

Does anyone know why the first train from Bristol to Birmingham and the last train from Birmingham to Bristol on Thurs 18th aren’t scheduled to call at Worcestershire Parkway please, and whether there would be any chance of calls being added?

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Seemingly there are once again not enough people able to work the panels in Gloucester PSB on Saturday 20th’s strike.

Does anyone know why the first train from Bristol to Birmingham and the last train from Birmingham to Bristol on Thurs 18th aren’t scheduled to call at Worcestershire Parkway please, and whether there would be any chance of calls being added?

No chance at all, as there are no trains from Bristol to Birmingham or vice versa on Thursday 18th.

sonic2009

Established Member
Great that the Bristol - Birmingham services are stopping at Worcestershire Parkway in both directions except for 2 services. I have a wedding to attend in Malvern, so perfect for me to get a lift now from there instead of originally Bromsgrove or Redditch.

So these services don't appear online in the journey planners for Thursday, also not appearing on Realtimetrains - so the question is are they running or not? XC twitter don't seem so sure either.

Status
Not open for further replies.