• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail - Construction updates and progress towards opening (now expected 24 May 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43102EMR

Established Member
I presume that unlike the northern line last week there's very little chance of it opening for use tonight?
There’s still a chance I would imagine - then again, it’s not like it’s a Sunday where usage would be expected to be lower

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I presume that unlike the northern line last week there's very little chance of it opening for use tonight?
Again, the point of it opening early would be that it is unannounced.

The same timetable is running today as tomorrow so it is hardly impossible.

Roger B

On RTT it is called Westboune Park CS https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:WBRNPKS?stp=WVS&show=all&order=actual

Looking at Google Maps it seems to be about 2000 ft from Portobello junction
Many thanks Kevin.

I hope you don't find this too pernickety, but ..... I had, rather simplistically, assumed that Westbourne Park Junction would refer to the physical pointwork connecting the main line with the tracks leading to crossrail. Whereas, from your response, perhaps it's being used to refer to the NR/TfL boundary, located in the vicinity of the Westbourne Park turnback sidings - referred to in RTT as Westbourne Park Cs. Is that what you meant?

And I had understood crossrail to start at its junction with the main line, but it's clearly more accurate to state that crossrail starts at the NR/TfL boundary - which is why I'm using the rather clumsy phrase 'tracks leading to crossrail' for the tracks leading from the NR/TfL boundary to the junction with the main line.

What I was really wanted to know was the distance (miles and chains) between London Paddington (low level) and the junction of the main line with the tracks leading to crossrail, perhaps mistakenly using the term Westbourne Park Junction to refer to the junction itself. I've done some further digging (see below), and I think I'll use Portobello Junction (London) as the actual junction of the main line and the tracks leading to crossrail, and for determining related distances - unless anyone can suggest something better!

I'd seen Westbourne Park Cs in RTT prior to posting my initial question, but given its 'Cs' suffix, which usually indicates Carriage sidings(s), I had thought that this refers to the Westbourne Park turnback sidings, rather than the Westbourne Park Junction (which I had understood would refer to the actual junction between main line and the tracks leading to crossrail). Most junctions between lines are indicated by a Jn suffix in both RTT and Railmiles, and I had expected the junction (ie pointwork) between the main line and the tracks leading to crossrail also to be indicated with the 'Jn' suffix, rather than with the 'Cs' suffix. Hence my initial question.

The relevant map in Trackatlas (3rd edition), p108, shows the 'Crossrail datum 0.0km' 0m 78ch Main Line, which indicates the NR/TfL boundary, to be where the turnback sidings are located. But the map in Trackatlas and the satellite view on Google maps show the physical pointwork connecting the main line to the tracks leading to crossrail to be further west - more or less where Portobello Junction is located.

Railmailes gives the distance between Portobello Jn (London) PRTOBJP and Westbourne Park Cs WBRNPKS as 0m 19ch, and between Westbourne Park Cs WBRNPKS and Paddington Crossrail PADTLL as 1m 4ch - which is the same mileage RTT shows for trains using the Westbourne Park turnback sidings. Incidentally Railmiles also shows the mileage between London Paddington PADTON and Westbourne Park Cs WBRNPKS to be 1m 47ch, the route being London Paddington, Royal Oak Junction, Portobello Jn (London), Westbourne Park Cs - which would seem to confirm that the actual junction between the main line and the tracks leading to crossrail is at Portobello junction.

Thanks for your help

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks for this. I'm struggling to find mileages to/from Westbourne Park Junction. This junction's been in use for quite a while for trains between Old Oak Common depot and the CCOS (and presumably also by TfL trains between Ealing Broadway and Paddington). But I can't find Westbourne Park Junction on either RTT or Railmiles. However, both have Portobello Junction (London) more or less where Westbourne Park Junction is.

So I'm wondering is Portobello Junction being renamed Westbourne Park Junction? And what are the miles/chains to/from Westbourne Park Junction to/from Paddington (low level / TfL) if different from those to/from Portobello Junction.

Many thanks
I think it’s far too difficult to explain in a short pararagraph. There are numerous distances marked in both imperial and metric in the first 3 pages of the public online sectional appendix (SA) map from last year that I’d saved.

I’m pretty confident from that version that Portobello Jn and Westbourne Park Junction are completely separate though, they‘re separated by the entry points to Paddington New Yard. I’ll attach page 3 as an example of the complexity of the distance measurements:

The latest SA which has somewhat simplified measurements can be found here - although it doesn’t include a Westbourne Park Jn either: https://sacuksprodnrdigital0001.blob.core.windows.net/sectional-appendix/Sectional Appendix full PDFs/Western Sectional Appendix March 2022.pdf

A theory. If line 6 feeds directly into the EB Crossrail, without using any points, is it possible that Westbourne Park Junction is considered to be in the down direction only?

Attachments

• 812553BD-E449-47A4-AB45-334FD66D6C22.png
    812553BD-E449-47A4-AB45-334FD66D6C22.png
    720.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

bnc2018

Elizabeth line services have appeared on Google Maps directions for tomorrow, but at the moment they seem to be using the wrong colour:
1653333078792.png
Edit: They seem to have got the colour right for the two suburban sections though:
1653333296915.png

ijmad

Established Member
No sign of a soft opening. I suppose whether you go to Paddington or Abbey Wood depends on if you want to be the first paying passenger in the tunnels, or the first paying passenger on the central section. The 06:30 start is legit either way, hah.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
No sign of a soft opening. I suppose whether you go to Paddington or Abbey Wood depends on if you want to be the first paying passenger in the tunnels, or the first paying passenger on the central section. The 06:30 start is legit either way, hah.

MTR / Crossrail / Elizabeth Line considering that whole section the "central section", so anywhere is fine!

thomalex

I must admit I'm glad they haven't makes it more of an occasion at 6:30 tomorrow. Not long to go now, mind the gap!

och aye

I assume that we're going to get a season 4 of The Fifteen Billion Pound Railway later in the year?

It may have taken a while, but congratulations to everyone involved in getting this project over the line. I look forward to using it the next time I'm in London.

Acton1991

Elizabeth line services have appeared on Google Maps directions for tomorrow, but at the moment they seem to be using the wrong colour:
View attachment 115158
Edit: They seem to have got the colour right for the two suburban sections though:
View attachment 115163
Citymapper, on the other hand, don't have anything updated. A journey from Paddington to Tottenham Court Road tomorrow is still showing Bakerloo/Central line as the quickest route.

Attachments

• IMG_1E11A7EAA6D0-1.jpeg
    IMG_1E11A7EAA6D0-1.jpeg
    728.8 KB · Views: 34

mrmartin

Citymapper, on the other hand, don't have anything updated. A journey from Paddington to Tottenham Court Road tomorrow is still showing Bakerloo/Central line as the quickest route.
Noticed this myself and pretty odd as it was showing it as a 'coming soon' service very recently. Maybe they are waiting until tomorrow AM to switch it fully live.

By the way, if anyone is up early on the first service(s), I'd love to know if:

• Is there working WiFi in the tunnel sections tomorrow?
  • Is there working 4G/5G in the tunnel sections (if so, which network are you on?)
TIA!

popeter45

Noticed this myself and pretty odd as it was showing it as a 'coming soon' service very recently. Maybe they are waiting until tomorrow AM to switch it fully live.

By the way, if anyone is up early on the first service(s), I'd love to know if:

• Is there working WiFi in the tunnel sections tomorrow?
  • Is there working 4G/5G in the tunnel sections (if so, which network are you on?)
TIA!
AFAIK there will be Wifi but no 4G yet

PG

Established Member
I must admit I'm glad they haven't makes it more of an occasion at 6:30 tomorrow. Not long to go now, mind the gap!
It won't be as much of a gap :)

I assume that we're going to get a season 4 of The Fifteen Billion Pound Railway later in the year?
Presumably now titled The Fifteen Nineteen Billion Pound Railway...
It may have taken a while, but congratulations to everyone involved in getting this project over the line. I look forward to using it the next time I'm in London.
Seconded!

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Crikey, the day of Crossrail's opening has actually come. It's been a long old path track to get here!

Snow1964

Established Member
The Elizabeth Line is now on the status boards of front page of TFL website (currently with status Part Closure)
ELIZABETH LINE: Services between Paddington and Abbey Wood operate on Monday to Saturday only, between 0630 and 2300.

Not sure why the message only refers to the Paddington- Abbey Wood section, and doesn’t add something like Normal service on remainder of the line

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I know there is still plenty of discussion regarding construction of Crossrail, however I have started a new thread in the UK General discussion forum for people to discuss opening day, and operation of the service going forward: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/crossrail-operating-discussion-and-opening-day-24th-may.232157/

This thread will accordingly be locked, as you can almost guarantee someone will reply to it with operational discussion. If you wish to discuss any aspects of the ongoing works then please start a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.