• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail - Construction updates and progress towards opening (now expected 24 May 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It's been reported in the Evening Standard that trial running has begun:

Trial running has begun with four trains an hour and Mr Byford is driving his team daily to get the £19 billion line open as soon as possible, with December 24 earmarked as a possible opening date.

However testing has to increase to 24 trains an hour with the final integration of the software that allows trains to communicate with the signals.

A 5U01 & 5U04 ran to Abbey Wood today: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/20438/2021-04-24/detailed. Albeit seemingly delayed on the transition.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member

A 5U01 & 5U04 ran to Abbey Wood today: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/20438/2021-04-24/detailed. Albeit seemingly delayed on the transition.
Yes, I noticed these moves, but it just looks like a stock transfer. There are already four 345s at Plumstead and this is swapping over two of those (which will return as 5Y77 and 5Y80 later). The same thing happened on Tuesday.

The STP moves I noted in message 143 in the open data feed to operate on Monday have now been removed. Instead, the first day they are shown is now 3 May.

I would contend that 'trial running' has not started yet, despite what the Evening Standard says.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Yes, I noticed these moves, but it just looks like a stock transfer. There are already four 345s at Plumstead and this is swapping over two of those.

The STP moves I noted in message 143 in the open data feed to operate on Monday have now been removed. Instead, the first day they are shown is now 3 May.

I would contend that 'trial running' has not started yet, despite what the Evening Standard says.

I would agree with you, I think starting on a Sunday or Monday is the likely date. I've not seen these "4tph" the ES mentions.

Cletus

Established Member

Is that 24th December this year or December 2024?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
We were told it has been delayed. Was due to be 26th April. No word of new date.

If so, then Byford is misleading the press (or they've misinterpreted it which is also likely!)

Snow1964

Established Member
Am I correct in thinking T-12 is 12 weeks to Handover

Therefore Tottenham Court Road is 7th May and Paddington 17th May (having been announced on 12th and 22nd February)

Anyone know how close Paddington, Liverpool Street and Whitechapel are to T-12.

I am guessing Bond Street is still running over 3 years late (wasn’t it supposed to be handed over Spring 2018 ?)

I wonder if Byford needs a before Christmas opening (which would explain 24th December) to meet some unpublished bonus or wager.

Glenn1969

Established Member
Not sure why they would open Christmas Eve and then be closed like everything else Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Is the 27th actually more likely ?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Not sure why they would open Christmas Eve and then be closed like everything else Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Is the 27th actually more likely ?

The last piece of the Jubilee Line opening - Westminster Station- opened on 22nd December 1999.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Because opening on the 24th lets them get "London's biggest Christmas present" type headlines, I suspect.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Testing using two units today (from Plumstead - the ones which moved from Old Oak Depot yesterday) at the Pudding Mill Lane Portal with a possession on the slow lines from Bethnal Green to Forest Gate.

hwl

Established Member
I don't think it will be December 24th but the network rail timetable change date in December this would allow them to combine the opening with other changes.
Abbey Wood-Paddington LL wouldn't need to interact with other changes so it might be easier to have it separate from the GWML/GWML changes? (i.e. slightly after)

matt_world2004

Established Member
Abbey Wood-Paddington LL wouldn't need to interact with other changes so it might be easier to have it separate from the GWML/GWML changes? (i.e. slightly after)
Does for depot moves.

And by having it on the network rail timetable change date they can simultaneously rebrand tfl rail as the Elizabeth line and have a shared fleet between all three branches

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Seems to me since TfL assumed full responsibility for Crossrail they've become sclerotic in publishing minutes of the Elizabeth Line delivery Group meetings the last one being 4th Feb 21.

I also find it bizarre that Wild keeps referring to the Delivery Control Schedule needing more refinement until it can be released. At this stage of the project there can't be that much still to do other than schedule in running the system at full capacity and then rehearsing the various failure and emergency scenarios with the operations team before loading it up with real people in trial mode. All this ought to be well defined after an additional three years to prepare for it.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The last piece of the Jubilee Line opening - Westminster Station- opened on 22nd December 1999.
They moved heaven and earth to get it open due to wanting open head of celebrations at the Millennium Dome on 31.12.1999

flitwickbeds

The staircase at Farringdon from the NR ticket hall down to the Crossrail escalators and Thameslink northbound platform opened this week.
20210427_205813.jpg20210427_205825.jpg20210427_205842.jpg

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I noticed the steps were open yesterday when I got off a Thameslink train at Farringdon and couldn't resist a quick wander! Signage pointing to the Elizabeth Line was on display, not covered!

Hopefully not too much longer now....

Dstock7080

Established Member
Tottenham Court Road Elizabeth line station transferred over to London Underground

In the early hours of Wednesday 5 May, Tottenham Court Road Elizabeth line station was transferred to London Underground from Crossrail. LU are now officially the landlords and infrastructure manager of the station.
Members of our Operational Readiness directorate joined the local station team and Crossrail colleagues on-site to ensure that the final stage of the transfer went smoothly, following years of planning and hard work.
The new station features sweeping 230-metre-long Elizabeth line platforms and ticket halls at either end, to support the new buildings at Dean Street in Soho and below St Giles Circus on Oxford Street. When it opens to customers, the Elizabeth line also offers step-free access from street to train.
Transformative%20projects%20(priority).png

LU Area Manager Camden Town & Tottenham Court Road, is now the Station Landlord. Tottenham Court Road is the third of the new Elizabeth line stations to be handed over to TfL and the second to LU as infrastructure manager.
London Underground’s Head of Station Integration said:

“The transfer of Tottenham Court Road station shows real progress in getting this railway integrated with our London Underground stations before they become part of our operational network.
“This is great news and follows on from Farringdon which was handed over in March. When the Elizabeth line opens, this large new station with two modern, spacious ticket halls will be a crucial gateway into central London providing a vital link with the Central and Northern lines.”

Area Manager Camden Town & Tottenham Court Road, said:

“I’m pleased to see the station completed at this stage and the impressive design and structure will be welcoming to our customers. My team and I are looking forward to welcoming customers on to the Elizabeth Line when the line enters revenue service.”
The Elizabeth line is still on track to open in the first half of 2022. Crossrail will move into the next major stage of the project, with the start of Trial Running and intensive testing later this year. Trial Operations is the final phase of testing involving trials to ensure the safety and reliability of the railway for public use. This includes real-time testing of evacuations of trains and stations before opening the Elizabeth line.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Apologies if this has previously been shared but I came across this video recently which may be of interest to anyone else who hasn't yet seen it:

Snow1964

Established Member
So now have Abbey Wood, Custom House, Farringdon, Tottenham Court Road handed over.
Paddington should be by 17 May (based on T-12 weeks date)

As far am I’m aware Liverpool Street, Whitechapel, Bond Street not yet reached T-12 so will be at least August before any of these handed over.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
That's very impressive. You can see how it cost £20 billion or so.
There looked to be plenty of work going on on the platform at Paddington.
Do we know what the regular line speed is, and whether the video represents a live run?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That's very impressive. You can see how it cost £20 billion or so.
There looked to be plenty of work going on on the platform at Paddington.
It was first published in December (possibly shot earlier) so won’t reflect current state of Paddington.

kevin_roche

This was a run made in early December 2020 but without stops at any stations. IIRC maximum speed in the tunnels is 62mph and on the GWML and GEML 90mph. On the line to Abbey Wood it is 62mph.

Last edited:

Dstock7080

Established Member
So now have Abbey Wood, Custom House, Farringdon, Tottenham Court Road handed over.
Paddington should be by 17 May (based on T-12 weeks date)

As far am I’m aware Liverpool Street, Whitechapel, Bond Street not yet reached T-12 so will be at least August before any of these handed over.
Liverpool Street is next from the staff info release today

iphone76

The fences/barriers on the platform extensions at Goodmayes (country end) and Ilford (London) were removed over the weekend. For the time being trains continue to stop at the existing stopping points.

Bigbru

They have removed the boarding behind the Paddington statue on platform 1 and replaced with wire fence so you can get a good view in now. It's also a lot colder on that side of the station.

Established Member
This was a run made in early December 2020 but without stops at any stations. IIRC maximum speed in the tunnels is 62mph and on the GWML and GEML 90mph. On the line to Abbey Wood it is 62mph.

The main lines between Maryland and Shenfield are 90mph, but the electric lines where the Crossrail trains operate are only a maximum of 70mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.