• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail - operating discussion and opening day 24th May

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
I do feel like TfL could start playing announcements like they do on certain parts of the Underground which could act as a deterrent
Argggghh. Just no. No more announcements. It’s the weak option taken when they think they ought to do something, but can’t be arsed to do it properly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ijmad

Established Member
Wonder if the high number of ungated stations on the outer ends of the Elizabeth Line may result in more begging and general fare dodging in the central section when through running begins

matt_world2004

Established Member
Wonder if the high number of ungated stations on the outer ends of the Elizabeth Line may result in more begging and general fare dodging in the central section when through running begins
Only Hanwell in the west does not have barriers , I can't think of any in the east

Kite159

Veteran Member
Only Hanwell in the west does not have barriers , I can't think of any in the east
Twyford as well.
Although as the branch lines don't have barriers even if Twyford+ Hanwell got them it won't stop people from avoiding the fare (they can simply board at Drayton Manor or Castle Bar Park)

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Some may also come from Southeatern stations known to have lax revenue protection via Abbey Wood which may involve no barriers.

Benjwri

Established Member
Twyford as well.
Although as the branch lines don't have barriers even if Twyford+ Hanwell got them it won't stop people from avoiding the fare (they can simply board at Drayton Manor or Castle Bar Park)
They seem to be upping ticket checks on these services in the GWR area though. Since Covid ended I’ve never been on one of the beach lines and not had my ticket checked. They have even started doing a sweep of the Didcot stoppers as they arrive into Reading sometimes.

thomalex

Reading must be a huge black hole given there are no validators. I took the Elizabeth line train from Ealing when travelling to Oxford with a change at Reading, there wasn't much time until the Oxford train arrived so wasn't going to go all the way up and over to and tap out and in again at the gate line. As a consequence I got charged a maximum fare for Zone 3 but was far cheaper than what it should have been.

Minimum there should be a number of validators at every station where you can interchange with National Rail along with clear instructions of what you need to do. Should be seperate gate lines really.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Talk of ungated stations outside of central London is mostly not the source of this. Most fare evaders and beggars on trains enter the system by forcing wide aisle gates or doubling up behind others.

Benjwri

Established Member
Reading must be a huge black hole given there are no validators. I took the Elizabeth line train from Ealing when travelling to Oxford with a change at Reading, there wasn't much time until the Oxford train arrived so wasn't going to go and tap out and in again at the gate line. As a consequence I got charged a maximum fare for Zone 3 but was far cheaper than what it should have been.

There should be a number of validators at every station where you can interchange with National Rail along with clear instructions of what you need to do.
Probably goes without saying that admitting to a crime on a public forum is an absolutely terrible idea.

I would assume it won’t be a huge deal because anyone entering the underground system will likely change at Paddington, and therefore be forced through validators. Anyone changing onto the Elizabeth Line at Reading will likely be travelling to a station before Paddington, and therefore will have bought a ticket for the entire journey.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
It had never occurred to me that the beggars wouldn't have tickets. The cost of a ticket is a small investment compared to what they'll take, so even if a way could be found to force them to buy tickets, it wouldn't stop them begging.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Reading must be a huge black hole given there are no validators. I took the Elizabeth line train from Ealing when travelling to Oxford with a change at Reading, there wasn't much time until the Oxford train arrived so wasn't going to go all the way up and over to and tap out and in again at the gate line. As a consequence I got charged a maximum fare for Zone 3 but was far cheaper than what it should have been.
Yes, Reading is the sort of station where gating each pair of platforms separately (as well as the existing entry gatelines being retained) would allow for better revenue protection and also differential pricing between routes in the PAYG age.

That said, I don't think you ought to repeat the approach of 'just getting a maximum fare' - repeat too many times and it could be investigated.

Benjwri

Established Member
and also differential pricing between routes in the PAYG age.
Trains getting diverted to odd platforms is quite common though at Reading, differential pricing would cause chaos.
I would say it’s not worth the haste, given how few people will enter the TfL network at Reading to travel beyond Paddington.

345 050

Talk of ungated stations outside of central London is mostly not the source of this. Most fare evaders and beggars on trains enter the system by forcing wide aisle gates or doubling up behind others.
Yes, indeed how would they even get all the way to Twyford in the first place for example!

boiledbeans2

They seem to be upping ticket checks on these services in the GWR area though. Since Covid ended I’ve never been on one of the beach lines and not had my ticket checked. They have even started doing a sweep of the Didcot stoppers as they arrive into Reading sometimes.
Do you mean GWR are upping checks on GWR trains? Or TfL are upping checks on Elizabeth line?

If I remember from previous forum posts, GWR are unable to check contactless cards, but TfL are able to. So in the Reading - Paddington area, I imagine GWR won't be doing much.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Yes, Reading is the sort of station where gating each pair of platforms separately (as well as the existing entry gatelines being retained) would allow for better revenue protection and also differential pricing between routes in the PAYG age.

But it would also require far more staff on the gatelines than at present, would lead to congestion when a busy train arrives and a mass of people are all trying to leave the platform, and would make changing trains an extremely slow and tedious process!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
OK folks. To keep things in one place and now that everything is settling down we’ve decided to concentrate the discussion in the one thread that is below.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.