• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail - operating discussion and opening day 24th May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Apparently Bond Street is likely to open slightly earlier than through-running, possibly in mid October.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_Lad

Exactly. If I am travelling from Paddington to Acton Main Line, I'd rather stand in the second to last carriage vs walking to the front of the train so I can make a quick exit!
I do the same when travelling from Slough to Burnham. The 7th carriage always stops by the exit stairs. Handy to know especially in busy periods!

Acton1991

Does anyone know the status of the escalators at Paddington leading from the ticket/barrier level to the street? One side was out of order last night in the peak...

thomalex

Apparently Bond Street is likely to open slightly earlier than through-running, possibly in mid October.

Judging by the recent Hidden London Hangouts tour of the station bar a few odds and ends and some testing the station looks good to go. Can't be long at all until it's handed over to TfL

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Does anyone know the status of the escalators at Paddington leading from the ticket/barrier level to the street? One side was out of order last night in the peak...

The entrance gate was damaged by the look of things, all seems to be working now.

Last edited:

DC1989

I went from canary wharf Elizabeth to canary wharf jubilee today following the unofficial signage recently put up.

God that's so much much simpler, come out of the station at the DLR end turn left and walk straight. Very quick and easy. Is there a reason the official tfl signage sends you a completely confusing convoluted way. Up stairs, down stairs turn left turn right cross the road, cross the river, spin around 4 times.

Is there a reason the official tfl signage sends you a completely confusing convoluted way.
The official TfL route is almost identical aside from being more undercover and away from the elements if you go through the shopping centre and past Waitrose.

Taunton

Established Member
It's even easier doing Canary Wharf Elizabeth to DLR West India, next station along the line. Turn the opposite way at the top of the escalator and it's there perfectly apparent right in front of you. And no road to cross.

In opening week there was a marshal outside the Elizabeth east entrance, Canary Wharf Management staff, not TfL, giving directions. Having a chat we both agreed "what idiot signed this up then"!!

The official TfL route is almost identical aside from being more undercover and away from the elements if you go through the shopping centre and past Waitrose.
If you are passing the Waitrose you are WELL out of the logical way.

Away from the elements not particularly necessary currently :)

ag1816

Today I travelled from Paddington to Farringdon, and as well as Bond Street the train advertised itself as also not stopping at Liverpool Street (with the driver and platform megaphone irritants fighting to tell passengers this information with the result that no one could hear). Any idea what happened?

If you are passing the Waitrose you are WELL out of the logical way.

Away from the elements not particularly necessary currently :)

Is this not a logical route? The elements of heat are also subdued by Canary Wharf's aircon...

Attachments

• Canary_Wharf_map.png
    Canary_Wharf_map.png
    660 KB · Views: 141

Dstock7080

Established Member
Moorgate LU station was closed at 16.10 due to a power failure, (CCTV lifts escalators) this affected the Elizabeth Line station at Liverpool Street.
Liverpool Street Elizabeth Line station reopened for exit only at 18.15, with Moorgate LU station fully reopening at 19.00
Today I travelled from Paddington to Farringdon, and as well as Bond Street the train advertised itself as also not stopping at Liverpool Street (with the driver and platform megaphone irritants fighting to tell passengers this information with the result that no one could hear). Any idea what happened?

greatkingrat

Established Member
That does seem a flaw in the double ended stations layout. Is it not possible to just close the Moorgate entrance?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
That does seem a flaw in the double ended stations layout. Is it not possible to just close the Moorgate entrance?

The Moorgate LU station’s control room is responsible for Liverpool St Elizabeth line.

matt_world2004

Established Member
There is engineering works on the GWML on the 6th november that will cause a reduced service on the western branch of the elizabeth line, I doubt it is opening that day but it could be opened that week.

Last edited:

matt_world2004

Established Member
Sorry if I've missed something... which week do you mean?
Sorry I missed the date out from my post . Edited now for clarity

MTR staff have been consulted for through running on the Elizabeth line on the 6th November. There are engineering works on the 6th November which would cause a reduced service on the western branch of the Elizabeth line. So I doubt it is opening that day. But it could open around that week

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
There is engineering works on the GWML on the 6th november that will cause a reduced service on the western branch of the elizabeth line, I doubt it is opening that day but it could be opened that week.

It appears to be on only part of the Main lines not Reliefs, so I imagine the bulk of the service (Abbey Wood - Reading/Heathrow) can run albeit with some amendments. Looks like there might be lots of Western engineering works on the weekend towards the end of this year.

matt_world2004

Established Member
It appears to be on only part of the Main lines not Reliefs, so I imagine the bulk of the service (Abbey Wood - Reading/Heathrow) can run albeit with some amendments. Looks like there might be lots of Western engineering works on the weekend towards the end of this year.
TfLs planned works calendar is saying there will be a reduced service on the Elizabeth line that day not calling at Acton mainline , West Ealing or hanwell. I can't see them launching on a day where less than a full service would be provided

Benjwri

Established Member
TfLs planned works calendar is saying there will be a reduced service on the Elizabeth line that day not calling at Acton mainline , West Ealing or hanwell. I can't see them launching on a day where less than a full service would be provided
Speaking of the TfL calendar, the blanket notice about the Liz line operating limited hours and not Sundays ends on the first day of October. Does anyone know if this can be read into that full timetable hours will come into effect from here, or has the notice just not been extended yet?

Taunton

Established Member
Being in Central London today, many at the event (near TCR) were hacked that the Elizabeth does not run on Sundays. Some (who were late arriving) opined that this had been done because it was "easy" not to run one day a week. Whatever the justification, this is the perception among the general public of how TfL manages projects. The railway bubble may know it all about no Sunday service, but it has not penetrated the general public.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Being in Central London today, many at the event (near TCR) were hacked that the Elizabeth does not run on Sundays. Some (who were late arriving) opined that this had been done because it was "easy" not to run one day a week. Whatever the justification, this is the perception among the general public of how TfL manages projects. The railway bubble may know it all about no Sunday service, but it has not penetrated the general public.
Yes and I was surprised to hear this week from a colleague that the last trains were so early

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

There's posters / signage / announcements, it's on the TfL website, journey planners won't give you an option to do it, staff will tell you it doesn't run. Not sure what more TfL or the Elizabeth line can do about people rocking up and presuming it is running when even a cursory look would show you it isn't. There's a difference of course between being "hacked" that it isn't running, but at least knowing that it doesn't and being completely unaware. I find it somewhat frustrating as I'm sure many people do, but appreciate that it doesn't and plan accordingly.

It is all thankfully temporary of course for just a few more months. We've coped for 4 years without it from the planned date with nothing on a Sunday (or any day) so I'm sure a few more months are manageable

VauxhallandI

Established Member
To be fair maybe if they hadn’t over egged the grand opening because it was so late then average Joe might not have had such expectation?

ijmad

Established Member
Will the service go 7 days a week the same time as through running commences?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Do you not think there's a certain level of validity in the safety reason given?
I’ve read the last few pages a few times and I cannot see where a reason has been given for this unusual operation?

Status
Not open for further replies.