• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail - operating discussion and opening day 24th May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Will the service go 7 days a week the same time as through running commences?

Yes - earlier running, through running and Sunday service all at the same time. Bond St will be open too, either on that date or before.

Although interestingly the planned works calendar stops showing the limited opening hours at the start of October.

It's the 12 week calendar I think? Next week we should see, it just happens to be almost exactly 3 months (12 weeks) away right now which is the agreed timeframe for planned engineering works into journey planners.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Benjwri

Established Member
It's the 12 week calendar I think? Next week we should see, it just happens to be almost exactly 3 months (12 weeks) away right now which is the agreed timeframe for planned engineering works into journey planners.
The calendar is a 12 week calendar yes, however the notice stops at the start of October, which is only 8 weeks away. The calendar shows other works on the Elizabeth Line past this day, so it's not that they haven't got any works in at all. I agree though there's a possibility they just haven't added the works past then until they announce an official opening date

XAM2175

Established Member
I’ve read the last few pages a few times and I cannot see where a reason has been given for this unusual operation?
It's a while back, on page 29:
It's a feature. The doors won't open if someone is leaning on the button. I suppose someone could fall out by accident. Although as has been pointed out, tube doors always open automatically, despite the presence of buttons, and that is deemed safe.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Maybe I've seen film of this but I can "see" it... Perhaps those stations had something similar right after closure?
Cannon Street District platforms used to have normal roundels on white square panels which were hinged out on Sundays to reveal some sort of "station closed.. 5 mph" message on the back, presumably for the benefit of drivers rather than passengers, but I can't remember if there were roundels on the "closed" side.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Cannon Street District platforms used to have normal roundels on white square panels which were hinged out on Sundays to reveal some sort of "station closed.. 5 mph" message on the back, presumably for the benefit of drivers rather than passengers, but I can't remember if there were roundels on the "closed" side.
They’re on the back of one of the maps on the platform. At some locations the maps have been replaced with posters giving historical facts. Every sub-surface station has them, as do some platforms that are not.

Richardr

Although as that article points out, 1.9 million getting on or off at Bond Street (more than Farringdon for example at 1.3 million) means that the numbers are meaningless.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why on earth does it include Bond Street?
Looking at the numbers of the ‘Crossrail only’ stations versus the others could it include every gateline transaction, therefore include LU customers too?

Benjwri

Established Member
Looking at the numbers of the ‘Crossrail only’ stations versus the others could it include every gateline transaction, therefore include LU customers too?
Correct. This is the overall TFL numbers filtered down to only Liz line stations, but only ones like Paddington have Liz line only gate lines. The rest are including numbers for their other tube lines as well.

It also won’t necessarily include numbers where people transferred from the liz line to another line.

Gerard92

Will there ever be a ‘night’ Elizabeth line over the weekends?

If a night service did start on weekends it would probably only be the core section Paddington - Abbey Wood with a through service to/from Reading/Heathrow/Sheffield only provided New Years Eve

James H

Given how busy the Elizabeth line now is at peak times, the frequency uplift in the core can’t come soon enough.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Given how busy the Elizabeth line now is at peak times, the frequency uplift in the core can’t come soon enough.

What are you considering “busy”? No spare seats? Standing room only? Completely cramped up against one and other? Unable to board?

I’ve seen some “busy” trains but nothing that wouldn’t be a fairly moderate tube rush hour, with more space in certain parts of that train.

Now it’s 3 months in, you can tell the wider London (and beyond) population has really appreciated its existence, people know about it now and it’s getting a steady increase in passenger flows.

Spurs

If a night service did start on weekends it would probably only be the core section Paddington - Abbey Wood with a through service to/from Reading/Heathrow/Sheffield only provided New Years Eve
It would be a very fun New Years indeed if I accidentally took a Night Tube to Sheffield on my way home!

matt_world2004

Established Member
What are you considering “busy”? No spare seats? Standing room only? Completely cramped up against one and other? Unable to board?
TfL defines overcrowded on a 9 car class.345 as having an excess of 1500 people. I have a feeling Joe public are going to consider them busy rather before then. And it's going to become significantly uncomfortable before then as well. Particularly as MTR are doing a rather poor job at enforcing peak cycle restrictions which has already resulted in fights on the concourse at paddington

mrmartin

Don't know if this is the right thread but can't see anything better. Does anyone know if Liv Street EL will be closed tomorrow with tube strikes? Citymapper is warning on https://content.citymapper.com/news/2529/rail-tube-and-bus-strike-18-19-20-aug

Also, Elizabeth Line stations Tottenham Court Road, Farringdon, Liverpool Street and Whitechapel may be closed.

TfL just says

Central (Paddington-Abbey Wood) - normal service starting 07:00. After 22:30, trains may not stop at all stations

I need to travel around 9am - assuming this is ok as the closures only start at 22.30?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
TfL defines overcrowded on a 9 car class.345 as having an excess of 1500 people. I have a feeling Joe public are going to consider them busy rather before then. And it's going to become significantly uncomfortable before then as well. Particularly as MTR are doing a rather poor job at enforcing peak cycle restrictions which has already resulted in fights on the concourse at paddington

Yes 1,500 is not quite crush-loaded seeing as it’s ~170 per coach, but I’d certainly call it busy.

Surely if they’re not been let onto the platforms it is being enforced? Unless you mean something else.

Don't know if this is the right thread but can't see anything better. Does anyone know if Liv Street EL will be closed tomorrow with tube strikes? Citymapper is warning on https://content.citymapper.com/news/2529/rail-tube-and-bus-strike-18-19-20-aug

TfL just says

I need to travel around 9am - assuming this is ok as the closures only start at 22.30?

On tube strikes days the stations managed by London Underground staff (which includes Liverpool St) will probably open at around 0700 so by 0900 you’ll be fine.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It's fights and arguments as they come into paddington and block the gatelines getting through

So it is being enforced then - hardly the staff or Elizabeth lines fault if people are trying to get through at peak times with non-foldable bikes. Seeing as it’s a new line perhaps some don’t known the TfL restrictions.

Established Member
So it is being enforced then - hardly the staff or Elizabeth lines fault if people are trying to get through at peak times with non-foldable bikes. Seeing as it’s a new line perhaps some don’t known the TfL restrictions.

Over the last couple of years people do seem to have got used to taking non folding bikes onto trains when strictly speaking they shouldn’t. No doubt a blind eye was turned during Covid.

matt_world2004

Established Member
No the fights are exiting the gateline not entering the train they have boarded further up the line

Benjwri

Established Member
No the fights are exiting the gateline not entering the train they have boarded further up the line
Surely there is very little that can be done for this? The Elizabeth Line uses GWR Platforms at Paddington, and people can get on those at the unmanned stations past Reading. It's very hard for guards to enforce it on the GWR trains before Reading, as they are so quiet before Reading there is always an argument if they're told they can't have them on the train.

Perhaps this is also the fault of passengers going through gatelines though? I have twice nearly been pushed onto the tracks by crowds at Liverpool Street. Once because the crowd I was in was being held back by staff and pushed in, pushing people in it towards the line, however another time when I was coming into London during the evening peak, and the few people getting off were directed to the edge of the crush by staff, squeezing between the platform edge and crowd, however the crowd again expanded outwards and nearly pushed me infant of a moving train!

Regardless these issues should hopefully calm down when through running starts.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Surely there is very little that can be done for this? The Elizabeth Line uses GWR Platforms at Paddington, and people can get on those at the unmanned stations past Reading. It's very hard for guards to enforce it on the GWR trains before Reading, as they are so quiet before Reading there is always an argument if they're told they can't have them on the train.

Perhaps this is also the fault of passengers going through gatelines though? I have twice nearly been pushed onto the tracks by crowds at Liverpool Street. Once because the crowd I was in was being held back by staff and pushed in, pushing people in it towards the line, however another time when I was coming into London during the evening peak, and the few people getting off were directed to the edge of the crush by staff, squeezing between the platform edge and crowd, however the crowd again expanded outwards and nearly pushed me infant of a moving train!

Regardless these issues should hopefully calm down when through running starts.
I usually get on a train from Heathrow. People have boarded MTR only stations to get their bike on in the peaks

embers25

Established Member
Are tomorrows Crossrail trains to Ilford from Paddington the first through trains in passenger service from Paddington to Ilford?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Are tomorrows Crossrail trains to Ilford from Paddington the first through trains in passenger service from Paddington to Ilford?
They're not advertised workings and won't be taking any passengers.

embers25

Established Member
They are Class 9 on RTT and show as passenger so I guess that's an error?
They're not advertised workings and won't be taking any passengers.

Just looked on TPE ticket sales and it shows Acton Main Lone to Stratford changing once at Farringdon....and you can buy tickets for it but then it also states "test train not for public use" for both so very poor.

matt_world2004

Established Member
They are Class 9 on RTT and show as passenger so I guess that's an error?

Just looked on TPE ticket sales and it shows Acton Main Lone to Stratford changing once at Farringdon....and you can buy tickets for it but then it also states "test train not for public use" for both so very poor.
Buy a ticket and when it takes a lot longer than 33 minutes claim delay repay?

Status
Not open for further replies.