• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
It would have to be Shotton or Forsinard - "frozen hard" (guessing from the hint). If it is I wouldn't have been able to solve it anyway :)

Forsinard (my bolding) it is. My original clue indeed involved an H-dropper's version of "hard"; was however not meteorology-related, but referring to "hard labour" in prison -- sometimes, in crime-speak, referred to just as "hard". My religious zealot was suggesting " 'ard" as a punishment "for sin".

Yours has been the only response; and you have, "whatever else", put forward the correct answer. Your floor.

RobertsN

Rowley Regis?
Whilst appreciated the reference to "row"ing, the answer is much simpler.
However, and also, there is a **very** indirect reference to rowing in the first part of the answer (historical reference and actually in a different part of the country :lol:).

Edited: There's an anagramatic quality to the initial hint.

Last edited:
I rowed briefly when in my teens, and remember that when you moved the oar through the air it was turned horizontal, this was called 'feather' (as opposed to 'square', when you put it in the water and heaved). On that basis... Featherstone?

RobertsN

I rowed briefly when in my teens, and remember that when you moved the oar through the air it was turned horizontal, this was called 'feather' (as opposed to 'square', when you put it in the water and heaved). On that basis... Featherstone?
Not, I suppose, so straightforward a thing as Andover??
Sorry, neither is what I had in mind :)

Hint: think of anagramatic clues.

Calthrop

Established Member
My thanks !

Musical celebrator of two-and-a-half p. (old-time version) might be reckoned to have on his person, a smallish quantity of the answer to this one.

Possibly got wrong end of the stick with your cryptic clue but here goes

2 1/2 pints of lager & packet of crisps was by Splodgenessabounds - hence the bounds part

but reading your clue again since says 2 1/2p which I misread - apologises

Calthrop

Established Member
I will go with "Tolsworth" (missing an "l" but maybe representative of "Toll" values in the old days :D)....

Impressively worked-out; but wrong, I fear.

Possibly got wrong end of the stick with your cryptic clue but here goes

2 1/2 pints of lager & packet of crisps was by Splodgenessabounds - hence the bounds part

but reading your clue again since says 2 1/2p which I misread - apologises

Music of any kind, not my thing -- I had to Google Splodgenessabounds ! Anyway: as per yours above, it is indeed not about liquid measures.

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm beating my head on the floor thinking about Tommy Steele and half a sixpence...

As remarked in my last post: I'm definitely not "into" music -- the word in my clue -- musical -- is a very glancing reference, and not about any particular named "music-wallah" of any description.

RobertsN

I'm going to go with "Silver Street".
Reasoning, old 2 1/2 pence pieces were made of "silver". "Street" musicians are/were usually quite short of cash.
I wonder... (came as I recall an old song: "Sing a song of sixpence, a pocket full of rye"....). Unless of course the answer is "RYE" :D

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm going to go with "Silver Street".
Reasoning, old 2 1/2 pence pieces were made of "silver". "Street" musicians are/were usually quite short of cash.
I wonder... (came as I recall an old song: "Sing a song of sixpence, a pocket full of rye"....). Unless of course the answer is "RYE" :D

Silver Street it isn't; Rye it is !

Your floor (watch out for those blackbirds -- vicious little brutes...)