• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Calthrop

Established Member
In region of much-acclaimed beauty -- religious votary compelled, we hear, to carry out industrial process; or, archaically, engage in fisticuffs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RobertsN

I'll go with "Bolton Abbey" on the preserved Embsay & Bolton.

Abbey for where a religious votary would be, Bolt-on for industry as well as being a place renowned for cotton mills and all things related (see also Fred Dibnah).
It's also located in the Yorkshire dales national park.

Can't find any relationship to fisticuffs though :'(

Calthrop

Established Member
Subtle thinking; but wrong answer, I'm afraid. Abbeys / convents / monastic stuff "in so many words", are not involved -- it's purely wordplay.

Calthrop

Established Member
Hint, maybe; @RobertsN -- with your mention of the preserved Embsay & Bolton: the "answer station" is on -- another -- non-National Rail Network line.

Calthrop

Established Member
Another hint: the "answer station" 's line connects with the National Rail network at one of its termini. "Answer station" is the first one reached by trains of the line, after departing from the interchange station.

Is it Wymondham Abbey on the Mid-Norfolk Abbey? Pronounced 'Windum', could be industrial as in winding cloth, or winding as in a biff to the solar plexus. By a monk from the Abbey, natch.

Calthrop

Established Member
Is it Wymondham Abbey on the Mid-Norfolk Abbey?

Afraid not. I'll give folks, that it's in England; but a far cry in more than one sense, from the scenes as just above. And it doesn't feature the word "Abbey" -- or any equivalent word for "poverty-chastity-and-obedience" dwellings.

Calthrop

Established Member
And here was I thinking it was easy... Alternative clue: Planning who is to fight what in arena beast-show, Roman impresario says confusedly: small runt -- mice !

Calthrop

Established Member
Not Arena -- sorry.

Subtle thinking; but wrong answer, I'm afraid. Abbeys / convents / monastic stuff "in so many words", are not involved -- it's purely wordplay.

I feel, guiltily, that my above-quoted post -- made in haste -- was badly worded, as regards the "monastic stuff" bit. Was trying to say that the answer does not involve any actual word for places inhabited by "monk / nun types": forget Abbey, Friary, Priory, Nunnery, Convent, or any other word for such establishments. Otherwise: original clue has to do with the people; or one individual thereof.

Further hint attempt: the "answer station" is on a heritage line; in one of England's most beloved and spectacular areas of natural beauty.

Calthrop

Established Member
Buffer-stops seemingly, being hit here; time -- it is felt -- to knock the thing on the head. The answer is Muncaster Mill -- first halt out of Ravenglass, on the Ravenglass & Eskdale. Original clue: "we hear" -- especially from a not-highly-cultured speaker -- "monk 'as ter mill" (engage in industrial-production doings) -- or, in slang from 200-odd years ago, do ("mill" -- noun or verb) fistfighting stuff -- especially re the sport of boxing. Alternative clue -- Muncaster Mill is an anagram of "small runt -- mice".

Open floor.

Calthrop

Established Member
Despite the name, not a request stop

Haltwhistle?

(Off topic -- but browsing today through pages of this thread some way back: saw something -- with hindsight, in the admittedly ghoulish-humour department -- which I can't resist. In September last year: answer was Sudbury -- clue, "Inter a bubble !" Prophetic, or what?)