• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Dare I ask -- is it perhaps, not a National Rail station? If it is National Rail; I'm totally at a loss.

RobertsN

I'm thick -- please could you explain, why particularly "Bugle"?
Most definitely can explain the hints.

A bugle, musical instrument, is used among armies and scout troups as well. In particular to mark rising (wake up) time. It is also used for other purposes in many scout troops, such as calls to order, etc. The "western worlds" was a hint towards the GWR.

More details on the bugle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugle

Calthrop

Established Member
I knew the essentials, re bugles and their use -- but as said earlier, am totally not into Scouting stuff; wouldn't have made association between the one and t'other. Thanks, anyway.

Calthrop

Established Member
My parents made vague noises about how it might be a good idea; but I wasn't having a bar of it -- looking back now, can envisage possible actually pleasant aspects of the scene...

RobertsN

My parents made vague noises about how it might be a good idea; but I wasn't having a bar of it -- looking back now, can envisage possible actually pleasant aspects of the scene...
There's certain values and concepts included in scouting which I still today find useful and very appropriate. It will always depend, obviously, on personal opinions and points of view.

At 52, I believe that Scouting was the beginning of a very fruitful learning path (among others) and (hopefully) becoming a better person. I would definitely suggest this for sons/grandsons. Sorry, going off topic here.... :'(

Calthrop

Established Member
I was a timid, wimpy, sedentary kid: everything I heard about Cubs / Scouts / all-and-sundry similar stuff, had me feeling that it sounded like being in the army -- stuff of my worst waking nightmares; I totally "didn't want to know". As they sometimes say: youth is too precious to be wasted on the young...

neilmc

Is this station on the west coast? Yes.
Is it Lime Street? No, but not far away, cryptically speaking.
So it's in Merseyside? No, it's more rural.
Can I drive there? Technically Yes but I might not recommend it.

neilmc

Loppylugs has it - also "Green Road" is not too dissimilar from "Lime Street" and a "green road" is also an unmaintained byway along which you're allowed to drive.