• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Aylesford, then? I'm in the pub, seeking ales -- for (as in clue) d -- short for delight / delectation???

Calthrop

Established Member
I feel not deserving; but spectacularly dim. I can't see any station in the National Rail list, that fits at all well. There's a village called Ailsworth between Peterborough and Wansford -- the Nene Valley Railway hasn't very recently opened a station there, has it :( ?

Loppylugs

I feel not deserving; but spectacularly dim. I can't see any station in the National Rail list, that fits at all well. There's a village called Ailsworth between Peterborough and Wansford -- the Nene Valley Railway hasn't very recently opened a station there, has it :( ?
Look at 10,843 Calthrop, you have the answer there. It is very simple.

Calthrop

Established Member
It's as simple as that. I feel very sorry for Calthrop !!! Over to you RobertsN

:idea: People keep telling me that this super-clever new "writing" thing has been invented; but I hadn't been sure whether to believe them...

Calthrop

Established Member
I will drop by after my rising tennis shots this afternoon (hopefully will not be told to stop for some unknown reason though...)

Just to post something after a day and a half (even if unhelpfully !) -- all I've been able to think of here, is a "hidden word" stratagem involving the station of Ennis: which is of course in the Republic of Ireland, so doesn't qualify...

I've wished at times, that this game's scope might be increased a little, from what was laid down at its origin in 2011: that it was to be be confined to "current UK rail stations" (of whatever rail / modern urban tram administrations) -- thus stations in Northern Ireland, as part of the UK, are admissible; but not stations in the Republic. Don't know whether anyone else would appreciate the "playing field" 's being widened a little, to include Republic of Ireland and Isle of Man; or, should there be if any widespread wish for this -- what exactly the protocol for following it up, would be...

RobertsN

Additional guidance:
The main clue is in the bolded part. The rest relates to significant names related to the small town in order to help identify.

Extra clue:
Casually stroll across

RobertsN

Just to post something after a day and a half (even if unhelpfully !) -- all I've been able to think of here, is a "hidden word" stratagem involving the station of Ennis: which is of course in the Republic of Ireland, so doesn't qualify...

I've wished at times, that this game's scope might be increased a little, from what was laid down at its origin in 2011: that it was to be be confined to "current UK rail stations" (of whatever rail / modern urban tram administrations) -- thus stations in Northern Ireland, as part of the UK, are admissible; but not stations in the Republic. Don't know whether anyone else would appreciate the "playing field" 's being widened a little, to include Republic of Ireland and Isle of Man; or, should there be if any widespread wish for this -- what exactly the protocol for following it up, would be...
Whilst I don't pretend to be overly knowledgeable, I'd say Northern Island and the Isle of Man qualify with "current UK rail stations", so at least on my behalf, feel free to include those.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Whilst I don't pretend to be overly knowledgeable, I'd say Northern Island and the Isle of Man qualify with "current UK rail stations", so at least on my behalf, feel free to include those.
Northern Ireland.... sorry to nit pick.

Calthrop

Established Member

IOM, though, is a self-governing British crown dependency which is not part of the UK: whereby I'd figure that if Man were acceptable, the Irish Republic would have an equal claim to be so.

Loppylugs

IOM, though, is a self-governing British crown dependency which is not part of the UK: whereby I'd figure that if Man were acceptable, the Irish Republic would have an equal claim to be so.
Come on Calthrop, you struggled with Theale the other day, do you really want to expand it ? Now if you'd like to include Scandinavia I'd be very happy... :lol::lol:

Calthrop

Established Member
Come on Calthrop, you struggled with Theale the other day, do you really want to expand it ? Now if you'd like to include Scandinavia I'd be very happy... :lol::lol:

Envisaged extra bits of British Isles would give me another two or three dozen stations / halts to get wrong / be baffled by... with Scandinavia, would you wish to have Finland too? Their words are truly weird :E.

(@RobertsN: Still no idea about "casually stroll across" etc., I'm afraid.)