• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

perryman

Clue 2: If the fictional head of the Secret Intelligence Service turned traitor, he or she could well be described as this, sort of.
Clue 1: To aspire to get to this station you require an A-

Calthrop

Established Member
Clue 2: If the fictional head of the Secret Intelligence Service turned traitor, he or she could well be described as this, sort of.
Clue 1: To aspire to get to this station you require an A-

My not-infrequent thing -- desperate, getting daft: Clue 1: haven't the foggiest. Clue 2: this fictional personage in those vulgar espionage novels for entertainment of the hoi polloi is called -- so I understand -- "M". A spy turning traitor, is presumed likely to be equipped with clandestine photographic gear so as to record material in their keeping, for the benefit of their new masters. "Ilford" is a name famous in the photographic field: so, M + Ilford = Milford (Surrey).

perryman

My not-infrequent thing -- desperate, getting daft: Clue 1: haven't the foggiest. Clue 2: this fictional personage in those vulgar espionage novels for entertainment of the hoi polloi is called -- so I understand -- "M". A spy turning traitor, is presumed likely to be equipped with clandestine photographic gear so as to record material in their keeping, for the benefit of their new masters. "Ilford" is a name famous in the photographic field: so, M + Ilford = Milford (Surrey).
It's not Milford, @Calthrop.

@neilmc was very much on the right lines with his working out of clue 1.

For clue 2, think more colloquial in terms of name given to someone turning/what they've turned into/what they are (clandestinely). The 'M' part is correct.

d9009alycidon

Haven't looked in on this thread for a few days, but I think I have an answer that fits both clues - Aspire = dream - a =Drem. And M might be a "red" if they were a traitor, so anagram of red and M also gives Drem.

perryman

Haven't looked in on this thread for a few days, but I think I have an answer that fits both clues - Aspire = dream - a =Drem. And M might be a "red" if they were a traitor, so anagram of red and M also gives Drem.
I couldn’t have answered it any better.

Well done, Comrade, this message will self-destruct, etc etc. Over to you.

Calthrop

Established Member
Indeed an eastern tale -- long-ago explorers shipwrecked Down Under; captain urges languid dignitary, haltingly: a -- idle Shogun, grab a 'roo

Calthrop

Established Member
The last bit is an anagram of Gainsborough Lea Road @Calthrop but I haven't got a clue what all the rest is about. If anyone else can explain it then they deserve to have a go!

No -- you sorted the anagram and got the answer: you deserve the floor ! "Eastern" because it's in the east of England, in a town served by ex-LNER lines; "eastern" could also be reckoned to mean Japanese -- fantasy of a Japanese seaborne expedition, centuries ago (kind-of like the Chinese exploring fleet which supposedly went to other continents, but nothing ever came of it), reaching Australia and getting wrecked and "in bother" there -- ship's captain screws up his courage to tell the Shogun in charge of the expedition to make himself useful by, for example, catching a kangaroo for them to eat.

Calthrop

Established Member
Crikey, after that explanation I'll try one with an easier resolution.

Varied threats leave a clue to this station.

I'm fond of saying, "I'm better at setting 'em than getting 'em" -- but with your not seeming over-impressed with my South Seas epic; perhaps "more inventively wordy" would be appropriate, rather than "better". This one, not a bit easy for me. Am beginning to wonder whether on some "new-generation" tramway / metro system up north, there might be a stop called East Threavel -- anagram of "threats leave" ...

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks @neilmc

German scot is doubly angry because of naked oysters

Just to submit something, no matter how off-beam: Starcross ? -- "doubly angry": stark (raving) [sense of furious, rather than demented] -- sharing the c/k element, with "cross"; and likely enough, the estuary there plays host to oysters, naked or otherwise. As for "G{g}erman s{S}cot" -- I have no idea.

Calthrop

Established Member
Good try @Calthrop , but not that. The reasoning behind is more phonetic than anything else.
BTW, also quite far away from the cornish peninsula.

Evershot (Yeovil -- Dorchester line) came fleetingly to mind; but that is (a) south-west-England-y, and (b) closed :oops: .

neilmc

Simply have no idea where to start with this one, we really need another clue please!