• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Loppylugs

If a miscreant had been fly-tipping on the pitch, or, more crudely, if cattle had been wandering over it, it could be Dumpton Park?
Like that one but hadn't considered it. Will save for later !
<lightbulb pings on>

It might cause confusion if a rival international team detrained at Hampden Park expecting to face the Scotland XI at the eponymous stadium.
Sorry John, this station is firmly in England.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm achieving nothing here, and starting to get silly: thinking of a station which was in England, but lost its passenger service in 1928...

Could pitch perhaps be musical pitch, rather than the domain of muddied oafs and flanneled fools? Or even the "touch not pitch lest ye be defiled" stuff?

You can barely get more firmly English than Hampden Park station - it's on the edge of Eastbourne!

Loppylugs

Could pitch perhaps be musical pitch, rather than the domain of muddied oafs and flanneled fools? Or even the "touch not pitch lest ye be defiled" stuff?

You can barely get more firmly English than Hampden Park station - it's on the edge of Eastbourne!
Now you're getting somewhere John ! Sorry about Hampden Park but as we know Eastbourne is full of oap's - I couldn't possibly accuse the Scottish football team as being full of past-it's could I ? ? ?
Bolton's station used to be called Bolton Trinity Street -- the island of Trinidad, with its Pitch Lake -- maybe the answer is Bolton ! (Getting frantic.)
I'm not that intelligent Calthrop! Pleased to see you are getting frantic, it seems it confuses you !!!
Enfield Chase (something like 'in field chase? Probably not).
Afraid not perryman.
Bat And Ball?
Sorry neilmc, not this time.

Loppylugs

Ok guys, there is nothing sinister lurking here. It is simply another word for confuses plus another meaning for pitch, not the sporting type.

Calthrop

Established Member
You have the tone part correct John. You just need another word for confuses on the front.

One which we've already had in recent weeks -- Shenstone ?? There's an old English and / or dialect word, "shent" = ruined, thrown into confusion -- maybe an unusual verb which goes with it, "to shen": to do that sort of stuff -- "shens tone"? (I reckon that here, I'm probably thrashing around and not accomplishing anything.)

Last edited:

perryman

Thank you but all the clues helped somewhat, of course. However, that notwithstanding:

Mix-up on a binge in this capital's waterway.

perryman

Thank you but all the clues helped somewhat, of course. However, that notwithstanding:

Mix-up on a binge in this capital's waterway.
Small factual clue given that silence isn't always golden:

The capital city concerned is European.