• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Dick was adamant he sung here.

Shenton, Battlefield Line ?? -- Dick (III) was adamant, that he'd win that battle (Bosworth); or die -- if there were an opera about it, it would at the end, have him singing a splendid song of last-ditch defiance <D ...

perryman

Shenton, Battlefield Line ?? -- Dick (III) was adamant, that he'd win that battle (Bosworth); or die -- if there were an opera about it, it would at the end, have him singing a splendid song of last-ditch defiance <D ...
@Calthrop, you would do Simon Sharma out of a job with ease but the Dick in question is not royal. Dick's activities will help in obtaining the answer, as well as a musical reference in the clue will too.

Calthrop

Established Member
Back to the drawing-board, to rack brains for various celebrated Dicks -- not having a musical bone in my body, references to such will probably be missed...

perryman

There is no doubt you will be aware of the Dick, and I would best imagine that everyone on the board will be too. The musical reference (not for all, I understand) is a particular song from a particular artist which links with said Dick, and his activities, in order to then find the station name.
Back to the drawing-board, to rack brains for various celebrated Dicks -- not having a musical bone in my body, references to such will probably be missed...

perryman

Andover? (Adam Ant's song about highwayman Dick Turpin "Stand and Deliver".....or 'andover' your money and jewels)>
The answer isn't Andover, although it could be as your workings out are exactly right.

To slightly help further you could also add a song by The Clash in order to get the station.

perryman

Clue 2: "I'm no thief", cries Dick Turpin. "Well, maybe I am but I only took the cash".

The clue is a steal, literally.

neilmc

If you go down skiing on the snowy slopes you could break a leg so I'll try - Snowdown

Loppylugs

Couldn't be as simple as Islip, could it?
I can't keep things simple with you Calthrop.
My first ever cryptic clue on here was based on Islip being skiddy. The shame of not getting this (better) version!
I don't know that this is better John.

The word ski is included in the answer but with one letter changed, it still sounds like ski. (Does that make sense ?)