• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

neilmc

Possibly Nine Elms (a new tube station)? On the flimsy grounds that 108 is divisible by 9.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Caboose Class

Hint 3: As well as straightforward addition, what else can a plus sign indicate?

Hint 4: Back to the anagram "salubrious starlet". Abuse illustrators? As Roy Walker used to say on "Catchphrase" - it's good but it's not right! To solve this anagram AND to arrive at your final destination, you will need to get your Latin primer out. Two word answer (8,9).

Last edited:

Caboose Class

No activity overnight so I guess it’s time to reveal the answer to the clue rather than subject everyone to even more misery this morning! So, the clue originally was 2²x11 +4³ +log base

2²x11 = 44 and 4³ = 64 and log base = e (natural logarithm)
“Adding” them together we get 4464e. Now all Pacific fans will recall that 4464 was the original number of LNER Class A4 Bittern.
So we finally get Bittern + e = BITTERNE which is a station on the Portsmouth to Southampton Line

Hint 1:
Loss of log base might result in a sonic boom
The boom of the bittern

Hint 2:
The solution to the clue is not 108e
No, it’s 4464e as shown above

Hint 3:
As well as straightforward addition, what else can a plus sign indicate?
Side by side, next to each other

Hint 4:
Back to the anagram "salubrious starlet". Abuse illustrators? As Roy Walker used to say on Catchphrase - it's good but it's not right! To solve this anagram AND to arrive at your final destination, you will need to get your Latin primer out. Two word answer (8,9).
The Latin name of the Bittern is Botaurus stellaris

Finally Clue 2 (which I thought was a dead give away): Newcastle Brown Ale? = BITTER N(orth) E(ast)

I declare an open floor

perryman

Wow. My head hurts.

If I may:

Sounds like creative talent for ne'er-do-wells

(Money back guarantee to not be as difficult as the previous question - this is not part of the clue).

Calthrop

Established Member
Wow. My head hurts.

If I may:

Sounds like creative talent for ne'er-do-wells

(Money back guarantee to not be as difficult as the previous question - this is not part of the clue).

Doing as I tend to: coming out with something almost certainly silly, but which might just help to get things rolling -- the "Uxbridge Dictionary" game: I've seen "Lostwithiel", "defined" (rather nicely, I feel) as meaning a ne'er-do-well of a gentle and harmless kind; so -- how about Lostwithiel?

perryman

Doing as I tend to: coming out with something almost certainly silly, but which might just help to get things rolling -- the "Uxbridge Dictionary" game: I've seen "Lostwithiel", "defined" (rather nicely, I feel) as meaning a ne'er-do-well of a gentle and harmless kind; so -- how about Lostwithiel?
You have started the roll of the ball but it is not Lostwithiel.

perryman

An extremely feeble shot in the dark - Andover? As in "Hand over your money".
Very much in the dark, for once, although I see (I think) where you are going re the ne'er-do-wells, and it's in the right direction (again, that's not a clue).

Looking at the answer (one word), maybe sounds like ne'er-do-wells creative talent is more correct.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Very much in the dark, for once, although I see (I think) where you are going re the ne'er-do-wells, and it's in the right direction (again, that's not a clue).

Looking at the answer (one word), maybe sounds like ne'er-do-wells creative talent is more correct.
Bedwyn?

Caboose Class

Well constructed clue - had me baffled!

neilmc

Dale is correct - in NATO phonetic alphabet, AYR is Alpha Yankee Romeo.

Over to you again.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Dale is correct - in NATO phonetic alphabet, AYR is Alpha Yankee Romeo.

Over to you again.
Thanks for the explanation, I wouldn't have got the first part in a month of Sundays.

Next clue:

Entertainer is performing, with mother queueing at the box office.

Loppylugs

Crikey, thanks. Brain not usually in gear this time in the morning!

We would be on the SVR, but an honourable intervention sends us elsewhere.

Calthrop

Established Member
Not, I suppose, Erdington? -- SVR has the (open and / or closed? -- seems uncertain) Eardington Halt: if taking the "a" out, is somehow "an honourable intervention" ??