• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic Towns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
Good try, but I was thinking specifically of bread [not cakes, buns, etc, too].

What's your second possibility?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
2nd clue:-

Beware the spelling!

Karl

On Moderation
It's happen worth a mention when found in this small red rose town?

(Apologies if it's not very good.. )

;)

*EDIT* I've just read the rules at the beginning of the thread and realise I'm probably guilty of not complying. If people struggle, I'll add a hint later. Sorry :)

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
*EDIT* I've just read the rules at the beginning of the thread and realise I'm probably guilty of not complying. If people struggle, I'll add a hint later. Sorry :)

I'm not sure this was ever said, but the general definition of "remotely well known" is that the settlement has to be somwhere that a fair few people on here will be familiar with for reasons other than being local. However, because it's a railway forum, this would in practice mean that almost anywhere with a station whose name matches the settlement should be OK (this isn't a blanket rule; somewhere like Manorbier would still not qualify as very few people know of it even allowing for its station). And size is completely irrelevant - Aveley in Thurrock is ten times bigger than Kyle of Lochalash, but Kyle would be OK whereas it probably wouldn't be.

Obviously you guys decide upon this for yourselves though - it's all open to interpretation.

Seacook

I'm not sure this was ever said, but the general definition of "remotely well known" is that the settlement has to be somwhere that a fair few people on here will be familiar with for reasons other than being local. However, because it's a railway forum, this would in practice mean that almost anywhere with a station whose name matches the settlement should be OK (this isn't a blanket rule; somewhere like Manorbier would still not qualify as very few people know of it even allowing for its station). And size is completely irrelevant - Aveley in Thurrock is ten times bigger than Kyle of Lochalash, but Kyle would be OK whereas it probably wouldn't be.

Obviously you guys decide upon this for yourselves though - it's all open to interpretation.

I have a deliberate policy of trying to provide a clue to a town or village that does not have a railway station (I can't always think of find one that suggests a possible clue, but I try). Places with railway stations of the same name go on the cryptic stations thread for preference.

Seacook

hiker won't be rambling around the end of the trail

Time for a hint. Think about what "the end of the trail" might mean and ponder why it says "won't" rather than "will not".

One more try. Showing only the relevant words:
hiker won't (rambling)
around
end of trail [actually, in retrospect, the heart of England would be better]

This town does not have a railway station, but it might well be getting one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.