• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cumbrian Coast evolutionary question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
In the hypothetical scenario that class 37s and mk 2s with window bars remained on the Cumbrian Coast for several tens of thousands of years (although given the average age of Northern's stock, this may not be as hypothetical as all that), would class 37 bashers eventually evolve heads narrow enough to fit between the bars?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
Seeing as evolution usually works on random mutations, it is entirely possible that a child would be born with a suitably thin cranium that they could stick between the bars. However, seeing as evolution also relies on this making them better than the competition at surviving and passing on their genes, I can't see how this adaptation would make them better at passing on their genes (especially as brain size would in some way be affected by this), and if anything would make them more liable to being decapitated by a bridge/signal post/etc!

NB - this is based on my GCSE knowledge of evolution

4SRKT

Established Member
Seeing as evolution usually works on random mutations, it is entirely possible that a child would be born with a suitably thin cranium that they could stick between the bars. However, seeing as evolution also relies on this making them better than the competition at surviving and passing on their genes, I can't see how this adaptation would make them better at passing on their genes (especially as brain size would in some way be affected by this), and if anything would make them more liable to being decapitated by a bridge/signal post/etc!

NB - this is based on my GCSE knowledge of evolution

I had thought this TBH. A significant problem could be that cranks in general rather than just 37 bashers are not endowed with numerous opportunities to pass on their genes anyway........

4SRKT

Established Member
Judging by what I saw today, 37 bashers could do with evolving a means of getting across the footbridge at St Bees in double quick time! Go go gadget legs.....

Status
Not open for further replies.