• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Customer ambassador role SWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love life

Hi, hope everyone is well.

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the customer ambassador role for South Western Railway and if so, do they know who sort of training is received and what do you have to do to complete training?

I recently interviewed, however I forgot to ask the question unfortunately

Kind regards in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi,

For role information google customer ambassador SWR, the TSSA page will fill you in on that. It's all about improving the customer experience, so customer service will be a major part of it, learning company rules, diversity, a degree of route learning so you can advise customers on how to get where they want to go and connections.

Not sure about what the training fully entails but I would think it will be carried out at Basingstoke ROC. I think that Rail Operators and Gateline rolls are 4 weeks full time training so assume it would be about the same. Could be wrong but I hope this helps a bit

Good luck

Love life

Hi,

For role information google customer ambassador SWR, the TSSA page will fill you in on that. It's all about improving the customer experience, so customer service will be a major part of it, learning company rules, diversity, a degree of route learning so you can advise customers on how to get where they want to go and connections.

Not sure about what the training fully entails but I would think it will be carried out at Basingstoke ROC. I think that Rail Operators and Gateline rolls are 4 weeks full time training so assume it would be about the same. Could be wrong but I hope this helps a bit

Good luck
Thank you!

Could I ask if you work for the train companies whether there are tests?

I've heard from a friend of a friend that you have to remember 80 stations that SWR run and what facilities each station has?

Thanks in advance

Thank you!

I've heard from a friend of a friend that you have to remember 80 stations that SWR run and what facilities each station has?

Thanks in advance
Hi,

Have you had to do an assesment day yet at Southampton, passed it and had the interview as a result of that?

Unfortunately for me I dont yet work for any company yet. I'm waiting, like many others, to start as a commercial guard with SWR but due to COViD dont yet have a start date.

Sorry I dont really know the recruitment procedure for Customer Ambassadors. Guards was:

Application and online assessments

All day assesment at Southampton, colour blind test first then psychometric tests like maths, rules application, concentration and memory and verbal skills

All those who were successful were then invited for a Face to face Multi Modular Interview (MMI) which I assume is where you are now unless things have changed. If not you may have all of the above to come but like I say I dont know where you are in the process

As far as remembering Stations and facilities or anything else goes I believe everything is test based at Basingstoke but again I dont know what the pass requirement is and what will be learned on the job.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will pick up on this thread and put you on the right track (pardon the pun)

Regards

Lalzo

Thank you!

Thanks in advance
I wouldn't follow TSSA on that one ;)

Training takes place at mostly Basingstoke station complex.

The first 1 week are a introduction to the company, what to expect, introduction to customer service and some conflict awareness training and is done with a range of new starters across the company.

Week 2 is momentium pt 1 which is learning more of the company values and how to apply them to customers "they don't become passengers till they have a ticket and are travelling" you will do some rule plays and a day with the Samaritans which is very useful if at a small station without Train dispatch.

The next few weeks are based at Basingstoke station as well, you will learn everything for the job in ticketing, renvenue/ ticket isssuing machines, generic information for ticket machines, SMART and may or may not be joined by other ticket office clarks, revenue and guards at stages of the course.

The CA training is more coursework passed as you will be heading towards a NVQ in Customer service (there will be multiple choice tests with some boxes that need to be filled) and will get days at the station ticket office and at your local station or local main staffed station depending on your work location.

After 6 weeks you be sent to work at your station get used to the team there and the roster, once that's been done you will be on your own after your assessment which takes place at the station includes everything from sales, cashing up and the safe operations.

Lastly you be at Basingstoke one more day and will recieve your NVQ.

Hope this helps :)

PS Lunch is normally provided however you may be sent to a rented office space if there isn't room due to COVID regulations in which I recommend taking your own lunch as the cafe downstairs is stupidly priced and the waitrose sadly has closed.

The first 1 week are a introduction to the company, what to expect, introduction to customer service and some conflict awareness training and is done with a range of new starters across the company.

Week 2 is momentium pt 1 which is learning more of the company values and how to apply them to customers "they don't become passengers till they have a ticket and are travelling" you will do some rule plays and a day with the Samaritans which is very useful if at a small station without Train dispatch.

The next few weeks are based at Basingstoke station as well, you will learn everything for the job in ticketing, renvenue/ ticket isssuing machines, generic information for ticket machines, SMART and may or may not be joined by other ticket office clarks, revenue and guards at stages of the course.

The CA training is more coursework passed as you will be heading towards a NVQ in Customer service (there will be multiple choice tests with some boxes that need to be filled) and will get days at the station ticket office and at your local station or local main staffed station depending on your work location.

After 6 weeks you be sent to work at your station get used to the team there and the roster, once that's been done you will be on your own after your assessment which takes place at the station includes everything from sales, cashing up and the safe operations.

PS Lunch is normally provided however you may be sent to a rented office space if there isn't room due to COVID regulations in which I recommend taking your own lunch as the cafe downstairs is stupidly priced and the waitrose sadly has closed.
Happy to be corrected Laizo. Cheers

Love life

Thank

Thank you for that very well detailed information!! I am most grateful, i'm waiting to hear back. It could be a few weeks they said

Hi,

Have you had to do an assesment day yet at Southampton, passed it and had the interview as a result of that?

Unfortunately for me I dont yet work for any company yet. I'm waiting, like many others, to start as a commercial guard with SWR but due to COViD dont yet have a start date.

Sorry I dont really know the recruitment procedure for Customer Ambassadors. Guards was:

Application and online assessments

All day assesment at Southampton, colour blind test first then psychometric tests like maths, rules application, concentration and memory and verbal skills

All those who were successful were then invited for a Face to face Multi Modular Interview (MMI) which I assume is where you are now unless things have changed. If not you may have all of the above to come but like I say I dont know where you are in the process

As far as remembering Stations and facilities or anything else goes I believe everything is test based at Basingstoke but again I dont know what the pass requirement is and what will be learned on the job.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will pick up on this thread and put you on the right track (pardon the pun)

Regards
Thank you!!!

I GOT THE JOB!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Congrats on getting the role, glad you found the advice helpful!

Queensoc

I'm a fairly new Customer Ambassador. The training is 12 weeks in total. About 6 weeks at Basingstoke Station in the training school and then workplace coaching at your station. You return for 2 weeks ticket office training at Basingstoke and then a 2 hour exam in which you need an 80% mark to pass. If you do you go to your station for 2 weeks more coaching and then go 'live'.
Lunch provided every day at Bsingstoke and training is great

Also you don't do an NVQ during training now. Instead you start a year long apprenticeship in level 2 customer service once you go live!

Love life

I'm a fairly new Customer Ambassador. The training is 12 weeks in total. About 6 weeks at Basingstoke Station in the training school and then workplace coaching at your station. You return for 2 weeks ticket office training at Basingstoke and then a 2 hour exam in which you need an 80% mark to pass. If you do you go to your station for 2 weeks more coaching and then go 'live'.
Lunch provided every day at Bsingstoke and training is great

Also you don't do an NVQ during training now. Instead you start a year long apprenticeship in level 2 customer service once you go live!
Could I ask what your examine entailed? And thank you for the great reply !!

Queensoc

Could I ask what your examine entailed? And thank you for the great reply !!
No worries!
The exam is basically everything you work on during your 2 weeks ticket office training. So you are on the training tablets (the same as you use in station) working through a series of questions and printing out the correct tickets, issuing refunds and producing railcards etc.

Love life

No worries!
The exam is basically everything you work on during your 2 weeks ticket office training. So you are on the training tablets (the same as you use in station) working through a series of questions and printing out the correct tickets, issuing refunds and producing railcards etc.
Ahhh I see, again thank you so much! I take you enjoyed your training

Queensoc

Heya, Just have another question lol did you find it difficult with the exam/what was your pass mark. Also, what stations are you based at? Im hampshire way
Hi, the training is really good and the exam is open book so you have access to the information.
I got in the late 80's. Got all the hard ones right and made some silly easy answer mistakes!
I'm in Dorset.

Love life

Hi, the training is really good and the exam is open book so you have access to the information.
I got in the late 80's. Got all the hard ones right and made some silly easy answer mistakes!
I'm in Dorset

I'm in Dorset.
Ahhh fair enough, lets hope it all goes well! Thank you

Love life

I'm in Dorset.
Heya, hope your all well!

Could I quickly ask how quickly was your training started for the Ticket Office? Is it something they do straight away within the first month?

Thanks in advance

Queensoc

Heya, hope your all well!

Could I quickly ask how quickly was your training started for the Ticket Office? Is it something they do straight away within the first month?

Thanks in advance
Hi, sorry for the delay i've been away.
The ticket office training was near the end of the training time. You do Customer Experience, Disability awareness and conflict management training first

Love life

Hi, sorry for the delay i've been away.
The ticket office training was near the end of the training time. You do Customer Experience, Disability awareness and conflict management training first
Thank you so much! See you around on the trains sometime lol

daniels

Hello - my partner has also been offered the CA role.

Re. the year-long NVQ - does the lower training salary apply for the whole of the first year then - or just the initial 12 week training?

Also - is attendance at Fareham college required during the year or is the learning done at your station / at home?

Many thanks.

Love life

Re. the year-long NVQ - does the lower training salary apply for the whole of the first year then - or just the initial 12 week training?

Also - is attendance at Fareham college required during the year or is the learning done at your station / at home?

Many thanks.
Hi,

I believe the lower salary is for the first year upon successful completion of all training.

Secondly, I believe there will be time that you will have to go too the college however they tend to opt for virtual classes as this is now the new normal for education purposes.
Hope this helps!
Edit: The views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of South Western Railway.

Queensoc

Many thanks.
Hi
The training salary is only for the 12 weeks. It goes up to the full salary as soon as you go live at station.
The college is all online and they come and visit you at work twice over the year. You never actually go to Fareham

Status
Not open for further replies.