• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cycle Speedometer or Phone App?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Those of you who cycle - what solutions do you like for measuring your speed when cycling?

For some context, this is my experience:

I used to have a dedicated cycle speedometer (or cycle computer as they seem to be marketed) to display my current speed, and things like distance, average speed etc. - the kind that does the measurement with little magnets on your front wheel so it can count wheel revolutions. That was fine for years, but finally broke about 3 years ago.

A month or so ago I decided I wanted to see my speed while cycling. Bought a new cycle computer off Amazon but had to return it as faulty. Then I thought I'd try phone apps - and I seem to have entered a World of Pain...

I started with Strava, and went on an all-day ride (with the phone in my pannier). It was actually quite nice having an app telling me where I was (at least, when I stopped to look at it) - except that the phone battery died en route (presumably from all the getting geolocation data online). That ride also made me realise that what I want the most is to be able to just glance down at the handlebars and instantly see my current and average speed. So I headed back to Amazon to look for a waterproof phone holder for my handlebars. The holder I bought seems fine, but test-riding quickly revealed that Strava (stupidly) doesn't even show current speed very prominently. So I needed to look for a different app.

Loads of apps in the Google Play store - so I tried one called BikeTracker. That worked well in a 5-minute test ride, but but also showed up that I needed to keep the screen continuously on. Turns out that on my Android phone, there's no phone setting to do that - you have to install a second app - and that also now means that I get only a couple of hours out of the battery - so it's useless for any very long rides. Not helped by that BikeTracker (just like Strava, and also rather stupidly given the intended use) displays your speed as dark text on a white background, presumably just to give maximum battery drainage ;). Yesterday I went on a 4-hour ride - drained the battery completely from a full charge AND realised during the ride that BikeTracker's average speed calculation was clearly wrong anyway (!!! How can an app get dividing a distance by a time wrong?) So I installed a 4th app - GPS tracker - which turned out not to work at all (as it never shows a speed above zero).

To try to sort out the battery consumption problem, I've just bought a spare battery pack. Haven't used it yet, but I've already realised it won't be able to properly fit inside the waterproof handle-bar bag while charging (the pack fits, but the lead to connect it to the phone will stick out the end). So I've now spent nearly £40 failing to find an adequate solution for being able to see my current speed when cycling, using phone apps.

This is all starting to make me think that, maybe, phone apps aren't worth it and I should just buy another classic-style bike computer. So I thought I'd start a thread to see what other people's experiences are?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterY

Established Member
I don't have a smart phone. For cycling though I use a Garmin Edge 200. For me, I like it because it's simple to use. It's quite small about 2" x 1.5" and sits neatly on the handlebars. It measures speed fairly accurately. Distance though it's 100%. If I ride Hemel to Watford for work it's always 7.36miles.
I always keep a record of my mileages . I don't ride for speed though but I can ride a fair distance.

EssexGonzo

This should be easy to solve, although it really depends upon what your budget is.

The answer - as you already know from trying to use your phone - is that you need a GPS device of some sort. The options, therefore, boil down to either a smart watch or a bike computer that uses GPS.

Like Peter, I use a Garmin edge 200. No fancy touch screen but the battery lasts all day and you can upload to Strava using Garmin Connect. It collects everything I need to know. I think the current equivalent is an Edge 130.

You can spend upwards of £400 on a colour touch screen version but you'd need to be a committed team kit wearer as well as have a frame made of unobtanium.

If you have a smart watch, it may have a cycle ride function that will do the same as the Garmin although my Apple watch battery will only do about 5 or 6 hours when using the GPS.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I use a Huawei smart watch, I set it on a outdoor cycle workout. I can see stuff like distance, heart rate and calories burnt on the watch when cycling.Once I end the workout I can see all the data like speed etc on the app.

ASharpe

Another Edge 200 user here - it's just a great bit of kit and if you synch to the interwebs you can see even more.

The only downside is having to charge it.

Sebastian O

Apple Watch 3 for me, it’s perfect, cheap as chips in reality, and I use it with a cheap speedo for more ‘live’ statistics.

trebor79

Established Member
Why not just buy another cheap and cheerful cycle computer with a magnet on the wheel?

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I don't have a smart phone. For cycling though I use a Garmin Edge 200. For me, I like it because it's simple to use. It's quite small about 2" x 1.5" and sits neatly on the handlebars. It measures speed fairly accurately. Distance though it's 100%. If I ride Hemel to Watford for work it's always 7.36miles.
I always keep a record of my mileages . I don't ride for speed though but I can ride a fair distance.

Thanks! I have to admit I wasn't aware of the existence of the Garmin Edge - or for that matter of the GPS-based dedicated cycle computers. I'll have a browse...

This should be easy to solve, although it really depends upon what your budget is.

The answer - as you already know from trying to use your phone - is that you need a GPS device of some sort. The options, therefore, boil down to either a smart watch or a bike computer that uses GPS.

Is GPS the answer? I know it offers the huge advantage (compared to magnets counting wheel revolutions) of being able to additionally tell you where you are and provide navigation info - although if I get really stuck I can always use the maps app on my phone for that anyway. But it also uses a lot more battery power. And I'm not convinced it's as accurate for instantaneous speed. (Obviously it's going to be very accurate for distance and average speed). When using GPS-based phone apps I've noticed a few times when for periods of - say - 30 seconds or so - the speed being shown doesn't seem believable, and it's easy to imagine how incorrect speeds could be shown if for a few seconds the device is unable to get accurate GPS data. And I've noticed that when I slow down or stop, GPS systems seem to be slower to notice than wheel-counting systems, which are essentially instantaneous.

Last edited:

trebor79

Established Member
Thanks! I have to admit I wasn't aware of the existence of the Garmin Edge - or for that matter of the GPS-based dedicated cycle computers. I'll have a browse...

Is GPS the answer? I know it offers the huge advantage (compared to magnets counting wheel revolutions) of being able to additionally tell you where you are and provide navigation info - although if I get really stuck I can always use the maps app on my phone for that anyway. But it also uses a lot more battery power. And I'm not convinced it's as accurate for instantaneous speed. (Obviously it's going to be very accurate for distance and average speed). When using GPS-based phone apps I've noticed a few times when for periods of - say - 30 seconds or so - the speed being shown doesn't seem believable, and it's easy to imagine how incorrect speeds could be shown if for a few seconds the device is unable to get accurate GPS data. And I've noticed that when I slow down or stop, GPS systems seem to be slower to notice than wheel-counting systems, which are essentially instantaneous.
Strava reckoned my 6 year old son and I reached 36mph last weekend. I don't think so somehow :lol:.
GPS does lose accuracy if it can't "see" enough satellites. I used tablet and phone based GPS for flying and it's very accurate indeed, but the software will just stop displaying a position if for some reason the GPS chip can't see enough satellites for the required accuracy. I generally suction mount it to the side window - it will work sat on my lap or in the seat next to me, but will then drop out if I start doing steep turns - that doesn't happen when suction mounted as it's got a much better view of the sky there.
Strava shows a speed profile that looked like a saw tooth and a ground track that in parts bore no relation to the route - straight lines over fields. I can conclude only that the phone being jiggled up and down in my pocket is not conducive to consistent sighting of GPS satellites.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
+1 for the Edge, though if I were buying new I'd choose a 520 Plus because it's capable of rudimentary navigation too.

Jimini

Established Member
I wear a Garmin Fenix 6 Pro which does pretty much everything you'd ever need for any type of exercise (I got it for triathlons etc.), but that's probably a bit OTT for your needs. I've never used the handlebar mounted units before, but on most cycling sportives I've ever done I'd say they're the most popular type of device used. If you wanted something from the wearable range then the Forerunner series have all the cycling tracking stuff on them and are quite a bit cheaper.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I've got an Edge 520- Garmin quote the battery life in use as 15 hours, and whilst I've never actually measured it I think they're not lying. Dedicated GPS units can be both more accurate in their positioning and much more battery efficient than a phone GPS app simply because they are dedicated.

And if you want even more accuracy/your speed through GPS blackspots such as tunnels you can get speed sensors that use very low power wireless connections. The current Garmin one uses an accelerometer and attaches to your hub using a rubber strap; the cadence sensor likewise just straps to a crank, no more messing with magnet and sensor position.

JohnMcL7

I find the Edge cycle computers handy to have the data right in front of you, they're tough, the interface works with gloves and when wet, the display is readable in all conditions, batterylife is excellent and on top of all that if I do damage the Edge or it runs out of power it's not really an issue whereas a problem with the phone could be a much bigger issue if I'm stuck and need help.

ashkeba

Established Member
If you want to see your speed at a glance then a LCD display dedicated bike computer (whether GPS or magnet) will win.

I just look at my watch when I pass milestones or road signs. I don't need to know my current speed to any accuracy. I only want to know whether I will arrive on time or need to pedal harder or give up and send an apology or postponement.

A Challenge

Established Member
I have a simple bike computer (magnet, which I'd say is much better than GPS on a simple LCD one, though not a phone for example, if that was possible) however I have managed to lose it (at home having changed the battery, not while using it), so I'm only assuming it still works. Not quite sure what the battery life is like though, never thought to try, though it isn't short.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I always use a GPS cycle computer. Mine is a simple device with no maps; it just works in effect like a magnet type, but without any need for the wheel sensor of course. Mine is a CatEye. They are more expensive than sensor devices.
The battery lasts pretty much all day, still, after several years use. One advantage over the sensor type is that it DOES record the route and that can later be uploaded to services like Strava, so you can see after the event where you went. And the site then records various statistics for all your activities, including distance, average speed and gradient profile (etc.)

philthetube

Established Member
You will never get round the battery issue with a mobile without using a power pack.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I have a simple bike computer (magnet, which I'd say is much better than GPS on a simple LCD one, though not a phone for example, if that was possible) however I have managed to lose it (at home having changed the battery, not while using it), so I'm only assuming it still works. Not quite sure what the battery life is like though, never thought to try, though it isn't short.

That's what I had until a couple of years ago (when it stopped working - can't really complain - I'd had it for something like 8 years). If I recall correctly, a battery would typically last a year or two (a couple of thousand miles) - so no danger of it running out in the middle of a ride. The minor disadvantage though was that the battery wasn't rechargeable.

You will never get round the battery issue with a mobile without using a power pack.

I think that's true to some extent, but you could alleviate it considerably with an app that's designed around the need to preserve the battery. The most obvious one point would be, having the black background when the app is recording - which Strava doesn't do and from my experience, very few phone apps do. I suspect you could also save some power with an option to intelligently query the GPS location less frequently if the bike is moving more slowly or the phone's accelerometer shows no movement. That would be appropriate for a user who is more concerned with logging where they've been than with seeing an up-to-date speed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.