• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cyclists: do you wear a helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I'll wear a helmet if I'm cycling on roads, because the ugly sight of having a massive shiny thing on my head is worth it for the reassurance I'm far less likely to have a serious injury should I have an incident. I don't usually bother when cycling around Cardiff due to the sheer enormous provision of cycle paths which are much safer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SeanG

Absolutely wear a helmet for all cycling - whether on the road, mountain biking or just getting about.
Given helmets now look pretty decent and aren't too expensive I can't see why someone wouldn't wear one.
Indeed, the mid to higher end helmets (about £100) are now so light that you don't notice wearing them, and actually improve airflow so no complaints can be had about them being hot. Anyone who finds helmets uncomfortable clearly hasn't tried a variety on, for there is a range of shapes and sizes to suit all head shapes.

Do I think they should be compulsory however? No.
This is because whilst I think that it is stupid not to wear a helmet, mandating it would put some people off the sport/mode of transport. Also, I do not think that it would be practical to enforce at all, and so what would the point of the mandate be?

adamedwards

Cycle helmets are designed for 12mph ie to protect you if you fall off. Hit by a 2 tonne car at 40mph and the benefit may be limited. I still wear one, but don't expect it to protect me from an SUV. In Australia one state made helmets compulsory and immediately reduced cycling which then has knock on impacts on other health issues and of course accidents if those stopping cycling drive. Making helmets compulsory has to be seen in a much wider context.

PeterY

Established Member
Hands up, I don't wear a helmet. My daughter tells me off though :s I tend to avoid busy roads.

On a day like today, about 27oC, I found that my head gets really hot inside a helmet. .

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Cycle helmets are designed for 12mph ie to protect you if you fall off. Hit by a 2 tonne car at 40mph and the benefit may be limited.

I covered the testing process and spec in an Open University module a while back - it is indeed based on falling onto a pointed kerb from average head height. However, it's worth pointing out that most cycle accidents do take that sort of form even when including vehicles (because most car bonnets are far lower down than a cyclist's head) - the car just knocks them off - so that protection is of value. There are also other variables, like you're more likely to hit the flat tarmac or the flat front/side of a lorry than a pointed kerb, so protection from that would potentially be substantial even above the 12mph spec.

So in short most likely it will provide you considerable protection against the likely scenarios relating to being hit by an SUV. However, what you really want to do is add defensive cycling to that because even were you wearing a motorcycle helmet (which is designed to protect against a high speed collision) you don't want to be hit by an SUV.

SeanG

I covered the testing process and spec in an Open University module a while back - it is indeed based on falling onto a pointed kerb from average head height. However, it's worth pointing out that most cycle accidents do take that sort of form even when including vehicles (because most car bonnets are far lower down than a cyclist's head) - the car just knocks them off - so that protection is of value. There are also other variables, like you're more likely to hit the flat tarmac or the flat front/side of a lorry than a pointed kerb, so protection from that would potentially be substantial even above the 12mph spec.

So in short most likely it will provide you considerable protection against the likely scenarios relating to being hit by an SUV. However, what you really want to do is add defensive cycling to that because even were you wearing a motorcycle helmet (which is designed to protect against a high speed collision) you don't want to be hit by an SUV.

Interesting to read about your module - did you find that 'secondary' protection such as MIPS worked and contributed to reducing rotational forces, or is this simply more marketing guff which has encouraged me to buy a few more helmets? Luckily I have not had the opportunity to test out its effectiveness

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Interesting to read about your module - did you find that 'secondary' protection such as MIPS worked and contributed to reducing rotational forces, or is this simply more marketing guff which has encouraged me to buy a few more helmets? Luckily I have not had the opportunity to test out its effectiveness

Unfortunately MIPS is a more recent innovation than that course so it wasn't covered. However it sounds believable to me.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
MIPS: multi dimensional impact protection, special helmet design, seems very complicated.

After any impact where the helmet *might* have been damaged, you are advised to discard it and buy a new one.

Risk compensation has been mentioned. Might apply to those who write about enjoying going fast downhill.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
MIPS: multi dimensional impact protection, special helmet design, seems very complicated.

It's basically that you have a framework around your head which is attached to the rest of the helmet by plastic with a specified breaking force, and so if the helmet is caught such that high rotational forces would be transmitted to the neck it'll instead rotate on your head. It seems a good idea to me.

After any impact where the helmet *might* have been damaged, you are advised to discard it and buy a new one.

Indeed, but unless you're careless and repeatedly throw it out of the window then this should be pretty rare.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Careless? What about dropping it on a stone floor? Leaving it in a hot car? Could suffer damage that one cannot see. Seems a bit like €bikes, a scheme to increase prices and turnover.

I shall continue cycling slowly and carefully, avoiding steep downhills, in the hope of not having an 'accident' the first place.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Careless? What about dropping it on a stone floor?

Unlikely to cause much damage given that it's intended to protect against being dropped on a stone floor with a heavy human head in it. But if cracks are visible, replace.

Leaving it in a hot car? Could suffer damage that one cannot see.

Unlikely.

Seems a bit like €bikes, a scheme to increase prices and turnover.

:)

I shall continue cycling slowly and carefully, avoiding steep downhills, in the hope of not having an 'accident' the first place.

Sensible anyway.

PeterY

Established Member
Everyone should wear a helmet for there safety !
There's already far too rules in this "nanny" state. :rolleyes:I didn't even wear a face nappy mask. I like to make my own decisions and I know the risks .

I was brought up in the sixties and I'm still here.:D:D:D:D:D:D
Including car drivers, pedestrians and people drinking alcohol at home.
Even sitting in your house, you never know, the ceiling might cave in. :D:D:D:D

JohnMcL7

Yes, always wear one regardless of the length of the cycle or if it's on or off road. I've been using MIPS design helmets for a while but recently changed to a spherical MIPS helmet which is meant to be improved. I've under no illusion about how much damage it can prevent but it's comfortable to wear to the point I don't notice it and looking at some of the dents and scrapes I've done to helmets they've done their job well already. I'm not bothered whether other people wear helmets or not and mandatory helmet laws have not been effective in other countries so I don't think they should be mandatory here.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
A large organisation near me issues helmets to people who cycle to work, helmets must be worn when cycling on the premises. I often observe people cycling to and from work with a helmet hanging on the handlebars.

Could cause a nasty 'accident' if it fell into the spokes.
In countries where cyclists are required to wear helmets (Spain, Australia) the police deflate tyres of unhelmeted cyclists, or sieze a wheel. I guess picking on cyclists is easier than trying to deal with motorists.

Scotrail12

I haven't cycled in a while but I can't stomach the idea of going on a ride anywhere without a helmet. Too risky. I feel quite uneasy seeing all of the UberEats delivery cyclists going at quite a pace in the city whilst not wearing a helmet.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I bought my bike about a year ago and got rather a fright when the grips on my shoe failed to disengage with the pedal as I was dismounting. It was one of those moments when I knew I was going over but could do absolutely nothing to stop it! Fortunately, the damage was limited to a slightly grazed leg, and a massive dent in my pride, but it could have been worse. I decided afterwards that it would be better if I bought a helmet, at least while I'm still getting used to the bike (it has been almost 30 years since I cycled regularly).

satisnek

No.

But I'm not one of those muppet cyclists who ride around flat out maximum effort all of the time, regardless of traffic conditions or visibility (there seems to be lots of them).

If helmets were made compulsory then it would be Shanks's Pony for me. After all, the only reason why I cycle is because it's quicker than walking (and I can get up later!).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I feel naked if I go out for even a short ride without a helmet on! I've done it a few times in the past, and wow it feels wrong. When I first got into cycling in 2020, I didn't have a helmet for the first couple of months or so. Where I found the bravado for that I have no idea, I've had to turn back when I realise I have no helmet on before now and I think that's just sensible.

I could understand a prejudice against helmets if they were really expensive, but they're not. I have two helmets, one is a £15 helmet from Asda and the other is a £69 Kask helmet I picked up in a local pro-level cycling shop. I use my Kask helmet when I'm on a non-commuting ride, primarily because I have no trust in leaving it anywhere at work. I don't like leaving my cycle at work, even with a high-quality lock in use, so it's a rare event for me to cycle to work. I'm close enough that walking is a reasonable option though, so that's not so bad.

Would I recommend helmet wearing being a legal requirement? Honestly, I don't know. There are pros and cons to it being legally required, as already mentioned by others. I'd like to see more people leave their cars behind and take up cycling, so I'd not want to do something that stops that. So I think I would leave the law as it is right now, it only seems logical to let people choose. The preferred option is to focus on providing good quality routes, which would no doubt help encourage more people to go out on two wheels rather than their polluting 4-wheel machines.

Now if we were talking about making lights mandatory, I'd absolutely be up for that, and making it mandatory to have good quality lights too. So many of them I've tried are just not sufficient, even when used in combination with bright clothing, there needs to be some sort of minimum standard.

Magdalia

Established Member
Now if we were talking about making lights mandatory, I'd absolutely be up for that, and making it mandatory to have good quality lights too. So many of them I've tried are just not sufficient, even when used in combination with bright clothing, there needs to be some sort of minimum standard.
These days I very rarely cycle in the dark. But one of the huge advantages of an electric bike is high quality lights, and built into the bike so they can't be stolen. One of the things I used to hate about pedal cycling in the dark was all of the palaver of needing to remove the lights every time I parked the bike.

This raises the question of what is higher priority than helmets for improving cycling safety. I would make cycling on roads while wearing headphones illegal: to cycle safely in traffic it is essential to be able to hear what is going in around you. Even worse is people cycling one handed while using a smartphone, which is doubly dangerous because it combines lack of concentration with lack of control.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
These days I very rarely cycle in the dark. But one of the huge advantages of an electric bike is high quality lights, and built into the bike so they can't be stolen. One of the things I used to hate about pedal cycling in the dark was all of the palaver of needing to remove the lights every time I parked the bike.

This raises the question of what is higher priority than helmets for improving cycling safety. I would make cycling on roads while wearing headphones illegal: to cycle safely in traffic it is essential to be able to hear what is going in around you. Even worse is people cycling one handed while using a smartphone, which is doubly dangerous because it combines lack of concentration with lack of control.

I try to avoid cycling in the hours of darkness at all costs, I don't feel safe doing it and it's not fun. I go cycling for fun, so if it's not fun then I might as well not do it. Makes things challenging in the winter mind!

Agreed 100% on banning cycling while wearing headphones/earphones/whatever, how some people have not yet been killed as a result of being totally unable to hear what is happening, well that's beyond me. Cycling while staring into the abyss of a smartphone, ooh that grinds my gears!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

If you buy a quality European city bike it will come with decent dynamo lights, usually with a capacitor so they don't go out when you stop at a junction. At the lower end of things, most Decathlon city bikes do, they are really excellent value at the price.

This raises the question of what is higher priority than helmets for improving cycling safety. I would make cycling on roads while wearing headphones illegal: to cycle safely in traffic it is essential to be able to hear what is going in around you.

Would you also ban listening to music in a car? Or would you ban deaf people from cycling?

I don't agree with this at all. Having it on loud is probably a bad idea, but I see no issue with e.g. a podcast. And there are always bone conductors (popular with runners) that don't take away your hearing at all.

It is my eyes that keep me safe while cycling. If it gets to the point where a horn is used because of my error, I have seriously messed up already.

Even worse is people cycling one handed while using a smartphone, which is doubly dangerous because it combines lack of concentration with lack of control.

Yes, that should be banned as it is when driving a car, and furthermore if an adult pedestrian crosses the road with their head in their phone and it causes an accident, and there is evidence of it e.g. a dashcam or CCTV, then they should be considered liable for it (e.g. to pay for any repairs to the car or bicycle involved) unless the driver could be proven to have been negligent.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I am not familiar with bone conductors, that sounds unpleasant!

The main brand is Aftershokz. They sit on the bones just behind your ear (held in place by a headband type thing) and provide excellent quality sound with no inhibition of hearing. They are the only ones allowed on UK Athletics accredited running races other than those which only use closed roads or are wholly off road.

They are a bit pricey but not at all unpleasant.

Trainbike46

Established Member
Would you also ban listening to music in a car? Or would you ban deaf people from cycling?

I don't agree with this at all. Having it on loud is probably a bad idea, but I see no issue with e.g. a podcast. And there are always bone conductors (popular with runners) that don't take away your hearing at all.

It is my eyes that keep me safe while cycling. If it gets to the point where a horn is used because of my error, I have seriously messed up already.
I agree with this. I read somewhere that a cyclist with earphones in can hear as much as a driver in a car with the windows closed without music on. If the driver puts the radio on, they hear less. As on a bike you also have better vision than in a car, I really don't see the point in banning headphones for cyclists without a major redesign of cars as well.

Magdalia

Established Member

No I wouldn't ban either.

There's two big differences between cars and bikes here. One is that most cars are already an enclosed space, so safe driving does not rely on the driver being able to hear the sound of other traffic. The other is that few bikes have rear view mirrors. On a bike, for what's happening behind it is often safer to listen than to look.

I did wonder about people with hearing impairments when I wrote this, and I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with a hearing impairment who cycles. But from my limited experience many people with hearing impairments often have heightened perception that compensates for this.
I am not familiar with bone conductors, that sounds unpleasant!
Neither was I, until now.

The main brand is Aftershokz. They sit on the bones just behind your ear (held in place by a headband type thing) and provide excellent quality sound with no inhibition of hearing. They are the only ones allowed on UK Athletics accredited running races other than those which only use closed roads or are wholly off road.

They are a bit pricey but not at all unpleasant.
Thanks, very interesting. How long have these been a thing? And do you know when UK Athletics introduced those rules?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No I wouldn't ban either.

There's two big differences between cars and bikes here. One is that most cars are already an enclosed space, so safe driving does not rely on the driver being able to hear the sound of other traffic. The other is that few bikes have rear view mirrors. On a bike, for what's happening behind it is often safer to listen than to look.

It absolutely, categorically is not. Hearing is not directional enough to make safety judgements on it. One must always turn one's head to be sure what is or isn't there, or fit a GOOD mirror (a bad one resulted in me misinterpreting what was going on behind which nearly resulted in my death).

What you might benefit from is hearing something which unsettles you (e.g. a horn or emergency vehicle siren) and prompts you to look when you would otherwise not see a reason to do so, but hearing is not an adequate substitute for looking. But unless you wear noise reducing over ear headphones you will still hear that when wearing earphones.

Engine noise tells you nothing as it's pretty much always there.

Thanks, very interesting. How long have these been a thing? And do you know when UK Athletics introduced those rules?

Over 10 years ago now I believe. The reason was more about being able to hear marshalls' instructions with regard to road use (e.g. if it was safe to cross) than about hearing actual traffic, though that was relevant. Pedestrianism is a bit different from cycling, though.

Trainbike46

Established Member
Engine noise tells you nothing as it's pretty much always there.
When I used to cycle in the countryside regularly I did rely on this: most of the time there was no engine noise, so if I heard some I would look around till I found where the car causing it was and what it was doing.In the city this is useless, as there's always engine noise.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
I agree with this. I read somewhere that a cyclist with earphones in can hear as much as a driver in a car with the windows closed without music on. If the driver puts the radio on, they hear less. As on a bike you also have better vision than in a car, I really don't see the point in banning headphones for cyclists without a major redesign of cars as well.
Plus it’s absolutely standard practice to have one headphone in for turn-by-turn directions when using a smartphone mapping app.

Status
Not open for further replies.