• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cyclists - your experiences on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamedwards

I have a cheap Chilli cam which is ok for reporting close passes. £40ish, so very affordable. I sadly have to use it every day I go into work.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JohnMcL7

I was extremely pleased to see Garmin releasing their Varia radar system with an integrated camera since mixing their action camera expertise with the speeds measured from the radar system but they seem to have made a bit of a mess of it with poor batterylife, camera quality and software issues. I don't ride with a camera recording all the time since I'm generally doing long rides on fairly rural roads so they'd never last long enough.

Bikeman78

Established Member
This is the junction with Fitzalan Road. Anyone coming out of here has to check a zebra crossing, then a two way bike lane and a bus lane to get to lane three. At busy times, lane three is a line of cars back to the previous junction. How long will it take for a car/bike or car/bus collision? For anyone wondering, no the white car did not give way but then it is a taxi.

View attachment 104462

Now that the cycle lane has been up and running for a few months, this junction is every bit as bad as I expected. There are no signs warning drivers that there is a two way cycle lane. Many simply don't look to the left before crossing the lane as the white car is doing. Frankly, who can blame them?

The traffic lights are tedious. They have sensors but it's a lottery whether they go green for cyclists or not. If they don't you have to wait another complete cycle. I normally don't bother. I look over my shoulder and dive into the adjacent lane and off I go.

ashkeba

Established Member
Now that the cycle lane has been up and running for a few months, this junction is every bit as bad as I expected. There are no signs warning drivers that there is a two way cycle lane. Many simply don't look to the left before crossing the lane as the white car is doing. Frankly, who can blame them?
Does that mean they also haven't checked left for walkers they should've let. cross? If so, literally everyone can blame them. The UK may allow much aggression against cyclists but thou shalt not upset walkers here!

Bikeman78

Established Member
Does that mean they also haven't checked left for walkers they should've let. cross? If so, literally everyone can blame them. The UK may allow much aggression against cyclists but thou shalt not upset walkers here!
I was talking about the cycle lane. No one really expects to have to look left whilst joining a dual carriageway with a central reservation. There are no warning signs at any of the minor roads joining to warn drivers of the two way cycle lane. I'll be writing to Cardiff Council shortly though frankly I might as well write to the Penylan Fish Bar for all the good it will do.

ashkeba

Established Member
I was talking about the cycle lane. No one really expects to have to look left whilst joining a dual carriageway with a central reservation. There are no warning signs at any of the minor roads joining to warn drivers of the two way cycle lane. I'll be writing to Cardiff Council shortly though frankly I might as well write to the Penylan Fish Bar for all the good it will do.
If there is a pavement, all drivers should look left, whether there's a cycle lane or not.

SCH117X

Established Member
On the subject of poor traffic lights for cyclists there is a bridleway in Harrogate that beyond a gate becomes a vehicle access to two properties and then hits a traffic controlled crossroads. I presume either their is some buried detector for cars or something at the exit from the properties as otherwise their is a push button at horse rider height. Maybe cyclists are meant to a sries of ninety degree turns to use a pedestrain crossing off to one side but I just treat the junction as an unmarked crossroads. I did once see the lights on green for the bridleway but no idea how they were triggered

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If you don't know I just hope you don't drive

Pedestrians and cyclists have absolute right of way at junctions (since the last Highway Code change). You therefore need to check for both, in both directions, any time you approach a junction, so you may allow them to cross. In essence you must imagine any cyclists are on the main carriageway and that give way/stop/entry markings are also zebra crossings.

It doesn't matter which it is.

Go look at Germany to see how it's meant to work here now. Hardly anyone, unfortunately, is actually doing it. Old habits die hard.

Bikeman78

Established Member
If there is a pavement, all drivers should look left, whether there's a cycle lane or not.
Have another look at the photo. The pavement is higher than the road and is fenced off by railings. Pedestrians would use the zebra crossing just behind the white taxi. Unless they are walking in the bike lane which I've not seen anyone do at that location.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Have another look at the photo. The pavement is higher than the road and is fenced off by railings. Pedestrians would use the zebra crossing just behind the white taxi. Unless they are walking in the bike lane which I've not seen anyone do at that location.

To assume makes an ass of you and me. Or in this case causes someone to die.

Never assume anything in road traffic. Always check.

Bikeman78

Established Member
To assume makes an ass of you and me. Or in this case causes someone to die.

Never assume anything in road traffic. Always check.
We could argue about this for the rest of time. Until last year the first lane was a bus lane. I doubt many people checked to see if there was a bus driving the wrong way up a dual carriageway. Turning said lane into a two way cycle lane is a significant change and I think that doing so without any warning signs is a serious failing on the part of the Council.

Whatever the rights or wrongs, many people do not look left. It's bad enough trying to get across the cycle lane and the bus lane whilst also finding a gap in lane three. Having nearly ended up spread across someone's bonnet whilst using the cycle lane against the traffic flow, I will not be using it again in that direction. I use the bus lane on the other side of the road as I have done for 20 years without mishap.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
We could argue about this for the rest of time. Until last year the first lane was a bus lane. I doubt many people checked to see if there was a bus driving the wrong way up a dual carriageway. Turning said lane into a two way cycle lane is a significant change and I think that doing so without any warning signs is a serious failing on the part of the Council.

Whatever the rights or wrongs, many people do not look left. It's bad enough trying to get across the cycle lane and the bus lane whilst also finding a gap in lane three. Having nearly ended up spread across someone's bonnet whilst using the cycle lane against the traffic flow, I will not be using it again in that direction. I use the bus lane on the other side of the road as I have done for 20 years without mishap.

I don't doubt that drivers don't look when they should, the point I was making was that they should.

FWIW I prefer the Dutch approach of pavement-cycle-car-car-cycle-pavement, i.e. unidirectional cycle lanes on the expected side. There is very little the Dutch get wrong about cycling.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Had an interesting experience last night.

I was overtaking a line of cars, there was a cyclist coming in the opposite direction, there was plenty of room for us to both pass. However he proceeded to give me angry gestures, which was completely uncalled for.

AM9

Veteran Member

I was overtaking a line of cars, there was a cyclist coming in the opposite direction, there was plenty of room for us to both pass. However he proceeded to give me angry gestures, which was completely uncalled for.
That depends on what you mean by "plenty of room". If it was less than 1.5 metres clear of any intrusion then the cyclist's anger was probably justified.

Last edited:

SynthD

If the road was one lane in each direction and you acted because they weren't a car, you are in the wrong. Cyclists should be treated to the width of the lane, whatever direction their lane is going.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If the road was one lane in each direction and you acted because they weren't a car, you are in the wrong. Cyclists should be treated to the width of the lane, whatever direction their lane is going.

Got to agree there, plus I don't feel the way the other person describes their overtaking as terribly sensible. A line of parked cars, or a line of cars in moving traffic, is not made clear and if the latter then I'd question their driving. It certainly sounds like the cyclist was right to display displeasure!

This thread seems as good as any to make a query, hopefully someone knows from experience as Maps can be a bit inaccurate sometimes:

My Sustrans map for the area shows a traffic-free cycle route alongside the A449 for much of the way between Penkridge and Wolverhampton. Does anyone here have experience to confirm if this is indeed the case? It features as an option on a future ride, but if it is indeed an error then I'd rather find out before going!

Haywain

Veteran Member
My Sustrans map for the area shows a traffic-free cycle route alongside the A449 for much of the way between Penkridge and Wolverhampton. Does anyone here have experience to confirm if this is indeed the case? It features as an option on a future ride, but if it is indeed an error then I'd rather find out before going!
Looking on Google Maps Streetview it looks like there is a shared use path on one side only. That does tend to be what would meet the Sustrans definition.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Why? A cyclist doesn't take up the whole road.

There was enough room, typically the same room I'd leave when overtaking a cyclist so I really struggle to understand what the issue is.

My parents who have 40 years of incident free driving experience, also said they would have done the same as me.

That depends on what you mean by "plenty of room". If it was less than 1.5 metres clear of any intrusion then the cyclist's anger was probably justified.

It was 1.5 metres, the cars were tight against the curb and there was a large distance between them and the white lines

SCH117X

Established Member
A cyclist may need to use the width of the lane - for one to avoid being doored by someone in a parked car opening door, and to avoid potholes and dodgy road surfaces. Read today on a cycling forum of one cyclist who hit a pothole of not that much depth and who had a triple fracture to her face that required her teeth to be wired after they reset the top of her palette, stitched the lip they'd pierced, cleaned the grit out of the multiple face wounds and put the skin in one finger back together. Forcing me into a 1.5m gap with an oncoming vehicle would have an equal reaction and few foul word thrown particulary if I had my panniers on the bike which when full are pretty wide. The new highway code also suggests cyclists should cycle down the middle of lane - in practice thats not something I do that often due to sheer grot, dodgy surfaces and pot holes in the middle of many carriageway lanes. Thankfully most drivers wait the half a miniute and consequentally get an appreciative gesture which is often returned

SynthD

Why? A cyclist doesn't take up the whole road.

There was enough room, typically the same room I'd leave when overtaking a cyclist so I really struggle to understand what the issue is.
It’s not about what they need, but what is safe. Does the law matter to drivers, especially after 40 years?

cactustwirly

Established Member
A cyclist may need to use the width of the lane - for one to avoid being doored by someone in a parked car opening door, and to avoid potholes and dodgy road surfaces. Read today on a cycling forum of one cyclist who hit a pothole of not that much depth and who had a triple fracture to her face that required her teeth to be wired after they reset the top of her palette, stitched the lip they'd pierced, cleaned the grit out of the multiple face wounds and put the skin in one finger back together. Forcing me into a 1.5m gap with an oncoming vehicle would have an equal reaction and few foul word thrown particulary if I had my panniers on the bike which when full are pretty wide. The new highway code also suggests cyclists should cycle down the middle of lane - in practice thats not something I do that often due to sheer grot, dodgy surfaces and pot holes in the middle of many carriageway lanes. Thankfully most drivers wait the half a miniute and consequentally get an appreciative gesture which is often returned

The parked cars were the opposite side so no risk there, and it was a smooth road with no potholes.

It’s not about what they need, but what is safe. Does the law matter to drivers, especially after 40 years?

It was perfectly safe and legal

gingerheid

Established Member
I cycle in Cambridge, where for the most part life is actually quite good and I don't generally feel like I'm going to die (I've been off the bike three times in 15 years; once by car door, once by pedestrian... and once by... fox.

This gave me the over-confidence to take my bike on the train to facilitate a couple of work trips in Loughborough and Nottingham, where I discovered what life on the other side is like. Oh my goodness...

Magdalia

Established Member
I cycle in Cambridge, where for the most part life is actually quite good and I don't generally feel like I'm going to die
I learned to cycle in Cambridge more than 50 years ago. I was taught then to take up the carriageway, not to cling to the gutter, and Cambridge motorists quickly learn to co-exist with cyclists.

I was overtaking a line of cars, there was a cyclist coming in the opposite direction, there was plenty of room for us to both pass.
That's not how it works, and it is now formalised in the recent Highway Code changes. On a road with parked cars on one side, the right of way is with the traffic on the opposite side. The traffic on the parked side wait for the other carriageway to be clear before proceeding, unless they are able to do so without crossing the centre line. It doesn't matter what is approaching, a 40 tonne truck or a bicycle. When it works the other way round I don't expect cars to creep into the gutter because my bike is not very wide. If there's insufficient room for me to pass the parked cars without crossing the centre line than I wait, and so should car drivers.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That's not how it works, and it is now formalised in the recent Highway Code changes. On a road with parked cars on one side, the right of way is with the traffic on the opposite side. The traffic on the parked side wait for the other carriageway to be clear before proceeding, unless they are able to do so without crossing the centre line. It doesn't matter what is approaching, a 40 tonne truck or a bicycle. When it works the other way round I don't expect cars to creep into the gutter because my bike is not very wide. If there's insufficient room for me to pass the parked cars without crossing the centre line than I wait, and so should car drivers.

Can you quote the specific passage that says that, including the Rule number? I am not seeing it.

FWIW as a driver or cyclist I certainly do move all the way left to allow a pass if it is safe to do so. It is called sharing the road. For example I very often do it to allow a motorcyclist or cyclist to filter in busy traffic.

Last edited:

J-2739

Established Member
I cycle in Cambridge, where for the most part life is actually quite good and I don't generally feel like I'm going to die (I've been off the bike three times in 15 years; once by car door, once by pedestrian... and once by... fox.

This gave me the over-confidence to take my bike on the train to facilitate a couple of work trips in Loughborough and Nottingham, where I discovered what life on the other side is like. Oh my goodness...
This is so true. The cycling infrastructure and mindset in Cambridge is like no other in the country, it's easy to forget that things are different until you leave. I think it helps that it is flat pretty much everywhere, making the cycling experience feel more relaxed and under control.

Status
Not open for further replies.