• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

D Day 1944

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
As today is the anniversary of the tragic ammunition train explosion at Soham where Fireman Gimbert and Signalman Frank Bridges lost their lives in reducing the effects of a catastrophe , in extreme bravery and with little thought of their own lives. Let us also recall the sterling efforts of the whole railway service in supporting the Allied forces in probably the biggest logistical excercise ever carried out.

What strikes me is the simple all staff message sent out by Southern Railway management which stated "men and women of the Southern Railway , the moment of greatest effort is at hand" - and did they , and the rest of the railway industry - in all areas - deliver. Respect.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s a story that any of us interested railways or 20th century history probably all know, but I just took a few minutes to explain what happened that night to my other half as she hadn’t heard about it before, and she was moved by their bravery...
It’s good to remember those that were involved that night, and I was pleased to learn earlier that Frank Bridges (the signalman that also died) now has a plaque dedicated to him on the signal box at Alresford station on the Mid Hants...

As you say though, the extraordinary effort involved with the D Day preparations, and the whole of the war when the railways were kept running is also something that we should never forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.