• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Daft Punk break up after 28 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
After 28 years, the ever popular electronic duo Daft Punk have called it a day together.
Daft Punk have confirmed their break-up, after a career spanning over 28 years.

The Parisian duo, who are considered to be one of the most influential electronic acts of all time, confirmed the news in an eight-minute video called ‘Epilogue’ – which features footage from their 2006 sci-fi film Electroma.

The video sees the duo — Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo — walking around the desert in their recognisable space-age helmets and leather jackets.

It reaches a dramatic conclusion when one of the members eventually touches a button which results in his explosion, before the clip fades to black.

A choral version of the group’s 2013 song ‘Touch’ is subsequently heard as a subsequent card shows the robot hands of de Homem-Christo and Bangalter in their respective outfits, alongside the dates ‘1993-2021’.

As Pitchfork reports, their longtime publicist Kathryn Frazier has since officially confirmed their split. Their reason for calling it a day is yet to be confirmed.

Their debut album, 1997’s ‘Homework’, spawned tracks such as ‘Around the World’ and ‘Da Funk’ and allowed the duo to develop the sound of French house on the international stage.

But when they returned four years later with 2001’s ‘Discovery’, the duo became known for their now-iconic displays of anonymity, appearing in public behind the robot masks that would become synonymous with their mysterious image.

The record, which featured tracks such as ‘One More Time’ and ‘Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger’, also confirmed their status as two of the world’s most in-demand producers.

Their most recent album came in 2013’s ‘Random Access Memories’, which spawned tracks such as the Pharrell Williams collaboration ‘Get Lucky’ and bagged them Album of the Year at the 2014 Grammys.

The band maintained a relatively low profile in the years before their split, with their final credit coming in the form of a 2016 collaboration with The Weeknd on two tracks – ‘Starboy’ and ‘I Feel It Coming’.

This is their announcement video

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
What legends they are. So sad, but I wish them well in future ventures.

I think its a perfect time to play One More Time.

Jamiescott1

I remember when homework came out. Great album and lead the way for the French touch sound in house.

Thomas Bangalore has also made some great solo stuff

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Was never a huge fan although there was a few stand out tracks. My particular one was Contact from Random Access Memories .

yorksrob

Veteran Member
They certainly made some catchy and enjoyable tunes over the years. Definately a sad moment for music, although they've earned their retirement

D365

Veteran Member
Was never a huge fan although there was a few stand out tracks. My particular one was Contact from Random Access Memories .
The instrumental tracks on RAM are very much underappreciated.

b0b

Established Member
I was planning to go see them on the last canceled tour at Red Rocks in Colorado, that would have been epic...

Stuwhu

Apparently news of their split has gone around the world around the world around the world around the world around the world etc et

backontrack

Established Member
"Check out Daft Punk's new single "Get Lucky" if you get the chance. Sound of the summer."

- Brian 'Limmy' Limond, May 2021 (probably)

In all seriousness, they're legends. It's a shame that they've never done a Gorillaz collaboration...

Status
Not open for further replies.